Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 1, 2014
2:30:43 PM
View profile
Outrageous Deposit Demand

I have received several mailings from AT&T since I signed up for Internet a few months ago, all offering me incentives to bundle TV with my Internet. The latest offer sounded great, and included a $250 AT&T Rewards card as incentive, provided I sign up online. I tried, but after pressing the checkout button, their reply was "we are unable to process your order at this time" and offered no explanation other than to call for assistance. I called, the agent was courteous and helpful, up to the point where she said the reason I couldnt oreder online is because first they would need to collect $449 due to my credit tier, or something like that. I said to her, what am I paying for? She couldn't explain what for, only that it was a one-time payment, and that $5 per month would be credited to my bill. This is, in effect, a deposit requirement. Okay, so you expect me to give you $449, and you'll pay me back $5 month for the next 90 months? Seven and a half years commitment, because she said it is non-refundable. THAT'S INSANE I told her. I asked her to make sure that she was not making a mistake, she put me on hold and shortly confirmed that was the case. I have free broadcast tv, I'm only really interested in live sports I cannot get with free tv, but I'm not shelling out $449 for that privilege. Why does AT&T waste their postage sending me offers that they will not honor? I am deeply disappointed. Please stop sending me worthless solicitations. 

I have received several mailings from AT&T since I signed up for Internet a few months ago, all offering me incentives to bundle TV with my Internet. The latest offer sounded great, and included a $250 AT&T Rewards card as incentive, provided I sign up online. I tried, but after pressing the checkout button, their reply was "we are unable to process your order at this time" and offered no explanation other than to call for assistance. I called, the agent was courteous and helpful, up to the point where she said the reason I couldnt oreder online is because first they would need to collect $449 due to my credit tier, or something like that. I said to her, what am I paying for? She couldn't explain what for, only that it was a one-time payment, and that $5 per month would be credited to my bill. This is, in effect, a deposit requirement. Okay, so you expect me to give you $449, and you'll pay me back $5 month for the next 90 months? Seven and a half years commitment, because she said it is non-refundable. THAT'S INSANE I told her. I asked her to make sure that she was not making a mistake, she put me on hold and shortly confirmed that was the case. I have free broadcast tv, I'm only really interested in live sports I cannot get with free tv, but I'm not shelling out $449 for that privilege. Why does AT&T waste their postage sending me offers that they will not honor? I am deeply disappointed. Please stop sending me worthless solicitations. 

Outrageous Deposit Demand

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2014 6:39:32 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor

thewhiteshadow wrote:

AT&T has every right to determine the conditions under which is will provide service. For some customers, that includes a non-refundable credit fee. If that doesn't interest you, you are free to choose not to purchase their service. 

If you no longer wish to receive mailing from them, call 800 288-2020 and request to be put on their "Do Not Mail" list.

thewhiteshadow wrote:

AT&T has every right to determine the conditions under which is will provide service. For some customers, that includes a non-refundable credit fee. If that doesn't interest you, you are free to choose not to purchase their service. 

If you no longer wish to receive mailing from them, call 800 288-2020 and request to be put on their "Do Not Mail" list.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Outrageous Deposit Demand

2 of 2 (192 Views)