Ask a question

Posted Jun 12, 2012
1:56:08 PM
View profile
Outlook Email setting problems since Uverse switch

My computer and phones were changed to Uverse plan this morning.  Ever since then my Outlook receives emails but won't allow me to send any.  Mine is an old Bellsouth.net account with incoming settings of pop.bellsouth.net, port 110 (which still works) and outgoing settings of mail.bellsouth.net, port 25 (which does NOT work since Uverse setup)  I don't think I should have to pay an ATT tech to fix this problem since it didn't start until they set up Uverse.  My business depends on being able to send emails and now it's out for a full day!!  That can add up to lots of $$$.  I've tried the settings they suggest for att.net customers but mine (as I said before) is not a att.net account name so it isn't working.  I've also tried the yahoo settings and those don't work either.  Anybody out there have a suggestion?

45 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 8:20:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
unhappyhoya - Not sure I understand your problem. Is it using one oulook/macmail with different e-mail accounts?

My macmail allows me to build as many accounts as I like. I built six. When I initiate a new message the last account I used is applied unless I change it via a drop-down on the message.

If you have multiple people/IDs/accounts using the same outlook/macmail they would have to have the habit of selecting their sending address as the first step of composing a new message.

Maybe it could be more automatic. Maybe the inbox/outbox can be separated by account. I'll take a look in morning. But, it would be for macmail, because that is what I have.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Outlook Email setting problems since Uverse switch

31 of 46 (3,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 8:45:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's not the client's fault.  It certainly has nothing to do with multiple users sharing a single Outlook "profile.".  Both Outlook and iMac Mail allow multiple profiles, and they allow you to enter a separate user id and password for the SMTP server (e.g. the att.net e-mail address), which has worked for me countless times in the past, e.g. Comcast cable modem, most corporate campuses, every hotel I've ever been in, etc., when I've had to change the STMP settings to adapt to the local environment.  The problem is that Uverse requires you to use the att.net as the sender's e-mail address, regardless of how many e-mail users share the connection.  This, of course, has nothing to do with the more fundamental question of why Uverse requires separate SMTP authentication in the first place, which is something AT&T DSL did not require -- DSL evidently relied on the authentication obtained via the user's Internet access through the modem.

Just to provide some of my bona fides, I've written a fair amount of SMTP, MAPI and Webmail software in C++, Java, C#, VB, etc.as stand-alone apps, for Outlook Express, Sharepoint, and for other platforms, so I am somewhat familiar with the technical issues.,

32 of 46 (3,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 4:12:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
unhappyhoya - OK, If you do like att e-mail, you do not have to use it. I do not know of any advantage to using any ISPs e-mail. In fact, the advantage of using a non-ISP service is it continues if you drop the ISP.

I prefer gmail over att. You can download any stuff you have in att. In att settings, set it to forward to the service you choose.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 46 (3,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 6:11:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't think you understand.  I'm not using "att e-mail."  It's not like gmail or yahoo mail, i.e. it's not an e-mail client or interface.  We use Outlook and Macmail as e-mail clients, and these front-end clients can connect to any backend e-mail server (POP for inbound and SMTP for outbound), and we've been using them for years with many different e-mail servers without difficulty.  Moreover, changing ISPs was never a problem because I have my own domain and therefore I don't have to change my e-mail address whenever I change ISPs.  The problem I (and others in this forum) have experienced with Uverse is entirely on the backend (the servers) not on the front end (the clients) because of Uverse's requirement that we all use (share) the same att.net e-mail account as the sender address. 

34 of 46 (3,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 7:14:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

What? I've never seen that problem before. I think the issue in this topic is that people were unable to send email through AT&T period.

35 of 46 (3,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 7:30:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:36:20 AM

unhappyhoya - I did start my original reply with the admission that I did not understand. You have not yet provided anything to change that.

I have macmail & att mail & gmail & applemail.
Let me use four accounts as an example.

I can have main@att.net, sub1@att.net, sub2@att.net, sub3@att.net - set them up in macmail & choose which to use when originating a new message in macmail.
or
mymail@gmail.com, another@gmail.com, more@gmail.com, yetanother@gmail.com - set them up in macmail & choose which to use when originating a new message.

or

first@me.com, second@me.com, third@me.com, fourth@me.com - set them up in macmail & choose which to use when originating a new message.

or

main@att.com, mymail@gmail.com, yetanother@gmail.com, first@me.com

I believe all these four examples work the same in macmail. Can you tell me how the first one is different/unusable for you?
I have reread your last post & all I can come up with is you are not aware that the att.net e-mail sub accounts are built with different IDs in the admin section of the account.

[ Edited ]
36 of 46 (3,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 1:26:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
unhappyhoya - Still trying to understand this. Reading your sentence - The problem I (and others in this forum) have experienced with Uverse is entirely on the backend (the servers) not on the front end (the clients) because of Uverse's requirement that we all use (share) the same att.net e-mail account as the sender address. - I am thinking you are saying you can set sub accts at att.net, but when sending messages it applies the master acct ID. I did not believe that theory.

I have two att.net sub accts. I sent a test message via the web for each to my gmail acct. It automatically applied the correct sub ID.

I then did the same via macmail, where I selected the send address before releasing. This, too, used
the correct sub acct address that I selected.

37 of 46 (3,136 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2013 6:00:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
unhappyhoya - I was looking for ways to improve how macmail handles many accounts so that I can focus on one master account & you can keep strong separation.

I think what I like the best is a prompt generated by the new message button to select the sending address. This method helps to prevent sending from the wrong address without being too intrusive. It balances flexibility, ease of use and strong reminding.

What do you think?,

BTW I found a setting in macmail preferences composing to set a permanent send address. Could this be what is causing all your sub accounts to use the master account ID, when sending a new message?

38 of 46 (3,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2013 10:48:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
A viewer...finally, someone has stated the problem!!
This is so frustrating because most people on here seem to think we are brain dead or something.
I have been using email since the early 1990s. This is an att caused problem - and for some reason...perhaps one att thinks is justified - but it seems they are trying to cover-up the problem, instead of being transparent.

39 of 46 (2,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2013 8:47:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've been experiencing the same problems for months.  I was thinking maybe I've gone crazy and forgot my password...(every day).  So, three times I've changed my password and it would Outlook 2007 would work temporarily.  The next day..."user name and password" pop up and  would start again.  This has been going on  for weeks.  I have changed the email server settings back to pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com, 995, 465 and it will work for a a few hours.  And then..dead again.  This is clearly a problem on UVERSE's end.  I don't touch the computer and hours later the problems reoccur.  Outlook 2007 isn't that smart or stupid.  And of course, AT&T is more than willing to have me pay for higher level service.  Screw them.  I'll change my internet to comcast and go to Straight Talk VOIP.  I fired Uverse TV and now they're sending me $200 checks every month begging me to come back and yet they want me to pay for a friggin' email configuration?????  NOT!!

40 of 46 (2,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 9:10:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

As I said in my previous post I've been having the exact same problem.  However, after a one hour remote session with our friends in India I may have a solution.   From what I can tell, all of us are saavy enough to set up the server settings correctly.  God knows we've all changed them enough along with changing passwords probably.  What this guy did though was immediately after deleting and reinstating my email in Outlook, he immediately logged onto att.net webmail through the member center.  He explained that there is a syncing issues with the yahoo servers control the email settings and it all must sync.  I asked him why just not reverting back to pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com wouldn't do the same thing.  He replied that you still have to go to webmail and somehow that forces Outlook to sync with yahoo servers.  Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why this is the case.  I dont' understand why outlook and webmail would have anything to do with each other.

My advice?  Start over.  Delete your email from Outlook.  Reinstall it with the standard inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net, 995, 465, ssl enabled, blah, blah, blah.  Save it and THEN immediately go to webmail and log in with your user name and password. 

Have no idea why it works but it did work for me.  We'll see later if it does.

Re: Outlook Email setting problems since Uverse switch (solution maybe?)

41 of 46 (2,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 2:38:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine eventually worked itself out so that I normally don't have a problem with sending or receiving now.  HOWEVER, I travel a lot (am a travel agent) and was recently in China on a short visit.  The second day there, I was unable to get my email because Yahoo started that rediculous thing AGAIN about asking for the password over and over and over ad nauseum and I was unable to work while there because of it.  All I had to do was reboot my main laptop when I got home but rebooting my iPad while in China was not doing the trick.  It was all evidently a problem between Yahoo and Outlook yet again.  You would think a company as supposedly advanced as ATT would not have these issues after all these years but it never ends.  And now that I'm home, when I click on a link in an Outlook email it locks up and rarely, if ever, takes me to the website of the link.  It's always something with ATT!

42 of 46 (2,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2013 2:57:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

I can tell that three times today Outlook was dead after working previously with no changes.  However, after logging on to the member services tab at att.net and accessing my inbox, my email would instaneously download at that moment.  Very weird but I've reproduced in three times now. 

43 of 46 (2,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 8:56:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Absolutely brilliant.

It is a syncing issue and the fix of logging into webmail worked like a charm.

Thanks for saving me hours of frustration after 2 hours of trying to make it work.

The key is the login to webmail which forces the sync.

Otherwise the password is not recognized by the server.

44 of 46 (1,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2014 3:47:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

okay Texas guyu,, i've been tryuing to resolver this issue for weeks and your "solution" i.e.. link is not good....i have over 25 years as a p.c. consultant so i kinda have a clue....i've tried the inbound and outbound names and i simply cannot find  any combination that works....but for sure the stuff on their page DOES NOT work inOutlook 2010.

45 of 46 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2014 5:44:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jan 26, 2014 at 5:45:05 AM

MasterYor wrote:

okay Texas guyu,, i've been tryuing to resolver this issue for weeks and your "solution" i.e.. link is not good....i have over 25 years as a p.c. consultant so i kinda have a clue....i've tried the inbound and outbound names and i simply cannot find  any combination that works....but for sure the stuff on their page DOES NOT work inOutlook 2010.

@MasterYor, I'm sorry that TexasGuy's 2 year old link no longer functions; however it probably gave outdated information anyway.  You can try this one:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

Note that you now have to use SSL connections.

[ Edited ]
46 of 46 (1,127 Views)