Posted Nov 7, 2013
9:44:49 PM
View profile
Outage in San Diego?
Unable to connect for over 3 hours and been on hold for 45 minutes waiting for a customer service rep. Anyone know what's up?
Unable to connect for over 3 hours and been on hold for 45 minutes waiting for a customer service rep. Anyone know what's up?

Outage in San Diego?

7 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 11:02:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Don't waste your time on hold. I called them and they knew nothing. No estimate on when it would be fixed, no idea of why it is down.

I plan to have an outage with my check book soon, and when they call me to be paid, I'll give them the same courtesy that they have extended to me during their outage. 

Unbelievable that home based internet is so unreliable in 2013 in the USA. Really? Makes online homework impossible to complete for kids with stuff due the next day. Luckily my neighbors' TWC  internet was up. 

Don't waste your time on hold. I called them and they knew nothing. No estimate on when it would be fixed, no idea of why it is down.

I plan to have an outage with my check book soon, and when they call me to be paid, I'll give them the same courtesy that they have extended to me during their outage. 

Unbelievable that home based internet is so unreliable in 2013 in the USA. Really? Makes online homework impossible to complete for kids with stuff due the next day. Luckily my neighbors' TWC  internet was up. 

Re: Outage in San Diego?

2 of 8 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 5:29:11 AM
(0)

Same problem in Austin, TX. From at least 8pm-11pm CST. Symptom was that I simply couldn't connect or that browser connections were made VERY slowly for some selected URLs. Seemed to get slowly better, in that I simply got the AT&T "Gateway Authentication" error page at first, then started getting "The Broadband Link is Currently Not Available" error pages, then started getting fragmentary web pages on some websites. Called AT&T UVerse customer service, went through the usual simple questions -- "please check the wires!", and was finally put on hold for what was supposed to be 15 minutes.

The UVerse "esupport" page ufix.att.com was reporting that my UVerse connections was "verified", which sort of suggested that the problem was theirs, and not mine.

After half an hour, I hung up and went to bed. This morning everything is fine. I got UVerse a year ago, and this is the first outage I've seen. It's been rock solid until now.

Once upon a time (maybe when I had DSL), there was a "status" page that simply informed everyone about what was going on. Is such a page available for UVerse? Without such a page, the basic question "Is it me, or is it them" is not easily answerable.

Same problem in Austin, TX. From at least 8pm-11pm CST. Symptom was that I simply couldn't connect or that browser connections were made VERY slowly for some selected URLs. Seemed to get slowly better, in that I simply got the AT&T "Gateway Authentication" error page at first, then started getting "The Broadband Link is Currently Not Available" error pages, then started getting fragmentary web pages on some websites. Called AT&T UVerse customer service, went through the usual simple questions -- "please check the wires!", and was finally put on hold for what was supposed to be 15 minutes.

The UVerse "esupport" page ufix.att.com was reporting that my UVerse connections was "verified", which sort of suggested that the problem was theirs, and not mine.

After half an hour, I hung up and went to bed. This morning everything is fine. I got UVerse a year ago, and this is the first outage I've seen. It's been rock solid until now.

Once upon a time (maybe when I had DSL), there was a "status" page that simply informed everyone about what was going on. Is such a page available for UVerse? Without such a page, the basic question "Is it me, or is it them" is not easily answerable.

3 of 8 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 5:39:41 AM
(0)
P.S. I should say that there is a nice site I just found ... downdetector.com that reports on, and maps reports of, outages nationwide. For AT&T services, they show a huge spike in AT&T reported "problems" last night. Really bad in S. Calif, and spots of problems in Texas. Of course, this isn't AT&T just telling us they're having troubles. This is just all of us telling each other we're having troubles with AT&T services. Better than nothing. Thanks, AT&T!
P.S. I should say that there is a nice site I just found ... downdetector.com that reports on, and maps reports of, outages nationwide. For AT&T services, they show a huge spike in AT&T reported "problems" last night. Really bad in S. Calif, and spots of problems in Texas. Of course, this isn't AT&T just telling us they're having troubles. This is just all of us telling each other we're having troubles with AT&T services. Better than nothing. Thanks, AT&T!

4 of 8 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 6:21:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Dannet - Thanks for letting us know about downdetector.com.

Actually, I like the idea of a third party report. But, it does rely on people to report. They cannot report if they do not know it exists. So, we need to publicize it.

I do think that U-verse is less susceptible to widespread outage than cable because it does not depend on the single pipe on the local poles that a simple break or power failure can disrupt all downstream service.

Where it does impact large groups of customers, it should have redundancy, To me the most vulnerable/high impact location is the VRAD.

Not to say large scale outage does not happen, just less frequency. If your service is not working, the problem is more likely local. The worst case is to have a local problem when there is also a larger problem.

I noticed one of the comments on the San Diego outage said the customer was able to get service working by changing DNS server.
Dannet - Thanks for letting us know about downdetector.com.

Actually, I like the idea of a third party report. But, it does rely on people to report. They cannot report if they do not know it exists. So, we need to publicize it.

I do think that U-verse is less susceptible to widespread outage than cable because it does not depend on the single pipe on the local poles that a simple break or power failure can disrupt all downstream service.

Where it does impact large groups of customers, it should have redundancy, To me the most vulnerable/high impact location is the VRAD.

Not to say large scale outage does not happen, just less frequency. If your service is not working, the problem is more likely local. The worst case is to have a local problem when there is also a larger problem.

I noticed one of the comments on the San Diego outage said the customer was able to get service working by changing DNS server.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 7:21:27 AM
(0)
I think the way downdetector.com works is that it trolls the web, looking for complaints. Not entirely clear to me how it's picking these complaints out. You don't get in touch with them directly.

But again, when I have trouble the zero order question is whether it is me (my equipment, my connection) or them (the VRAD, local lines, or a larger scale internet issue). If I can be assured it isn't the former, that makes a big difference to me in the work I need to do. So what I'd like to see is an AT&T status board that simply admits to problems you might be seeing in your locale. Of course, if you don't have an internet connection, it might be hard to get to that status board. But I can use a mobile device to try that access in a UVerse-independent way. Better than holding on the phone line for an hour and ending up with an AT&T rep just saying "yep, we're having some problems". If such a status board were available, I'll bet the stackup in phone calls to Customer Support would be greatly relieved. It's a trivial thing to do, and could save AT&T a lot of customer support effort.
I think the way downdetector.com works is that it trolls the web, looking for complaints. Not entirely clear to me how it's picking these complaints out. You don't get in touch with them directly.

But again, when I have trouble the zero order question is whether it is me (my equipment, my connection) or them (the VRAD, local lines, or a larger scale internet issue). If I can be assured it isn't the former, that makes a big difference to me in the work I need to do. So what I'd like to see is an AT&T status board that simply admits to problems you might be seeing in your locale. Of course, if you don't have an internet connection, it might be hard to get to that status board. But I can use a mobile device to try that access in a UVerse-independent way. Better than holding on the phone line for an hour and ending up with an AT&T rep just saying "yep, we're having some problems". If such a status board were available, I'll bet the stackup in phone calls to Customer Support would be greatly relieved. It's a trivial thing to do, and could save AT&T a lot of customer support effort.

6 of 8 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 10:49:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Dannet - From my perspective, the primary me/them is the broadband light. If it is green, it is me if it is red it is them. Secondary, is if all the software is working. Harder to determine me/them.

I definitely would appreciate notification of problems that affect a group of customers. I think they try to do this on the phone, but only to keep you from getting to an agent. More detail & more proactive methods of notification would be required to bring this to a customer value.

Trouble shooting has to include all possibilities in a sequence of what makes sense, what is most likely, what can I do with minimum trouble. After that patience is the most powerful tool in the box.
Dannet - From my perspective, the primary me/them is the broadband light. If it is green, it is me if it is red it is them. Secondary, is if all the software is working. Harder to determine me/them.

I definitely would appreciate notification of problems that affect a group of customers. I think they try to do this on the phone, but only to keep you from getting to an agent. More detail & more proactive methods of notification would be required to bring this to a customer value.

Trouble shooting has to include all possibilities in a sequence of what makes sense, what is most likely, what can I do with minimum trouble. After that patience is the most powerful tool in the box.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 5:59:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had the same problem this morning. It looks like AT&T's DNS servers died because my internet started working again when I added OpenDNS' servers (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) to my adapter's list of DNS servers.

I had the same problem this morning. It looks like AT&T's DNS servers died because my internet started working again when I added OpenDNS' servers (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) to my adapter's list of DNS servers.

8 of 8 (770 Views)