U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 20, 2012
6:36:48 AM
Out of area callers can't call me

Hi, all.  We had U-verse installed 2 weeks ago.  TV & internet are great.  Phone is not.  Why can "The Phone Company" not get phones right?  Anyway - when a caller from out of our area code tries to call, they get nothing.  The phone never, ever rings.  Not for them, not for us.  The callers have tried holding on and waiting for the delayed ring (which is another whole issue, right?!), but still, nothing.  And the call never registers on my caller ID, so it clearly is simply not connecting.   I can call out fine.  So I called one of my out of area callers yesterday,and we decided for her to try calling me from her cell, which is also out of area.  That worked.  Her home phone is broadband as well - it's Comcast.  So does this mean that I can't receive calls from out of area broadband subscribers?  I can't receive calls from 25% of the population (or whatever it is)?  And I have talked to AT&T about this.  First of all I was on the phone with them and the software was "reset," so we were told, and the problem was fixed.  Then a tech came to the house & "confirmed" that the problem was fixed.  This was proven when he called our number from his out of area cell phone.  But it is NOT fixed!  Anyone else run into this problem?  And it's a real problem - we just flat out have no phone service for out of area callers unless they're on a cell phone apparently.  Help!

Hi, all.  We had U-verse installed 2 weeks ago.  TV & internet are great.  Phone is not.  Why can "The Phone Company" not get phones right?  Anyway - when a caller from out of our area code tries to call, they get nothing.  The phone never, ever rings.  Not for them, not for us.  The callers have tried holding on and waiting for the delayed ring (which is another whole issue, right?!), but still, nothing.  And the call never registers on my caller ID, so it clearly is simply not connecting.   I can call out fine.  So I called one of my out of area callers yesterday,and we decided for her to try calling me from her cell, which is also out of area.  That worked.  Her home phone is broadband as well - it's Comcast.  So does this mean that I can't receive calls from out of area broadband subscribers?  I can't receive calls from 25% of the population (or whatever it is)?  And I have talked to AT&T about this.  First of all I was on the phone with them and the software was "reset," so we were told, and the problem was fixed.  Then a tech came to the house & "confirmed" that the problem was fixed.  This was proven when he called our number from his out of area cell phone.  But it is NOT fixed!  Anyone else run into this problem?  And it's a real problem - we just flat out have no phone service for out of area callers unless they're on a cell phone apparently.  Help!

Out of area callers can't call me

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 6:55:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Please know that yours is an isolated incident and NOT the norm.  We've had U-Voice for over 4 years and have never experienced what you describe (sorry).

Has the phone service/OSCID ever worked correctly?  Is your phone ATT compatible?  Have you re-set your RG?

Others with more experience with various U-Voice problems can weigh in.

Please know that yours is an isolated incident and NOT the norm.  We've had U-Voice for over 4 years and have never experienced what you describe (sorry).

Has the phone service/OSCID ever worked correctly?  Is your phone ATT compatible?  Have you re-set your RG?

Others with more experience with various U-Voice problems can weigh in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Out of area callers can't call me

2 of 9 (1,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 7:20:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't know about my RG because I don't know what that is - but I do know my phone is AT&T compatible because I've never had any phone service other than AT&T or BellSouth.  

I don't know about my RG because I don't know what that is - but I do know my phone is AT&T compatible because I've never had any phone service other than AT&T or BellSouth.  

3 of 9 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 7:29:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

RG = Residential Gateway aka Modem.  There's a button on the back marked "reset".  Press and wait for lights to start flashing.  Might be worth a try.

If your phone is more than a few years old, it may not be working correctly with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol).

I'm just throwing some easy, simple fixes out there.

RG = Residential Gateway aka Modem.  There's a button on the back marked "reset".  Press and wait for lights to start flashing.  Might be worth a try.

If your phone is more than a few years old, it may not be working correctly with VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol).

I'm just throwing some easy, simple fixes out there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 7:31:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
lovetocamp - Sounds like the problem is not at your end. It is at the originating end. Calls need to be routed from the originating end. If that is not set up correctly the calls will fail.

Send Alex a PM with your account & the tel number that cannot call you. He can have it investigated from the originating end.

Click here, then send this user a PM - http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276
lovetocamp - Sounds like the problem is not at your end. It is at the originating end. Calls need to be routed from the originating end. If that is not set up correctly the calls will fail.

Send Alex a PM with your account & the tel number that cannot call you. He can have it investigated from the originating end.

Click here, then send this user a PM - http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

5 of 9 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 7:37:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

If we can call out on VOIP & receive other calls from in-area broadband callers, it seems it wouldn't be the phone - but on the other hand, it's about all that's left to be the problem.  Especailly since, as you say, it seems to be an isolated issue right here in our house.  I couldn't even find any other message threads on this issue. 

If we can call out on VOIP & receive other calls from in-area broadband callers, it seems it wouldn't be the phone - but on the other hand, it's about all that's left to be the problem.  Especailly since, as you say, it seems to be an isolated issue right here in our house.  I couldn't even find any other message threads on this issue. 

6 of 9 (1,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 6:04:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Call TS using th phone number in my sig if that phone issue isn't resolved.  Let the CSR know what is going on and ask them make sure your phone service is provisioned.

Call TS using th phone number in my sig if that phone issue isn't resolved.  Let the CSR know what is going on and ask them make sure your phone service is provisioned.

7 of 9 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 3:32:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just had att installed 12/14/13 first no incoming calls at all,tech cam back replaced modem and verified it was working whith his support group. The next one of my out of town callers called on his cell said he could not get through with his broadband home phone.(Vontage) I hope they can get this fixed, and soon!
Just had att installed 12/14/13 first no incoming calls at all,tech cam back replaced modem and verified it was working whith his support group. The next one of my out of town callers called on his cell said he could not get through with his broadband home phone.(Vontage) I hope they can get this fixed, and soon!

8 of 9 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 7:46:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've had problems both incoming & outgoing.  I can't even call customer service (as it's not in my area).  I think this started when we first got U-verse voice.

I've had problems both incoming & outgoing.  I can't even call customer service (as it's not in my area).  I think this started when we first got U-verse voice.

9 of 9 (165 Views)