Ask a question

Posted Sep 22, 2013
    11:38:37 AM
    View profile
    Open Disgust with AT&T Customer Support regarding U-Verse Installation Wait

Hello,

I'd like to express my utter disgust with the pitiful customer service I received from AT&T and I would like to lodge an executive customer support complaint.

On Saturday, September 21st, I ordered AT&T U-verse TV and Internet service to be installed as quickly as possible at an apartment I am moving into on Monday, September 23rd.  Earlier today, I received an email that said that I would have to wait about 9-10 days, approximately October 1st, for the service to be delivered.  I contacted AT&T Customer support by phone to see what could be done.  I was told that there was nothing that could be done. I became livid.  I asked to speak to a supervisor.  The operator placed me on hold and after 1-2 minutes came back and said that their supervisor had said the same thing.  It was not what I wanted.  I asked to actually speak to a supervisor.....I was on hold for approximately 20-25 minutes before someone finally came back and spoke to me and made no effort to investigate with anyone as to whether this could be moved up.  They then were utterly hesitant to cancel my order after I realized that I was getting nowhere with them.  I repeated several times before they finally did cancel my order. 

I find it preposterous that AT&T has to make me wait 9-10 days to get the service that I've requested.  I want to know why?  If there's high demand, you should have an army of installers out there to meet the demand.  .  I shouldn't have to wait 9-10 days for installation of TV and internet services.  That's just outrageous.  I want to order from AT&T, but if AT&T is not going to work in a timely manner to install my services, I won't do business with them.  I will gladly go get my service from another company.  If AT&T will work with me to get my service faster or come up with a solution that will be acceptable to me, I'll gladly reinstate my order.  But if this is the way they're going to go....at a snail's pace.  Then I won't do business with AT&T.

I await a reply from AT&T Executive Support.

Thank you!

Open Disgust with AT&T Customer Support regarding U-Verse Installation Wait

16 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (16)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 22, 2013 11:42:23 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Sep 22, 2013 at 11:43:49 AM

Well, a few things:

1. ~ 10 day waits for services to be installed are typical with nearly any TV provider.  Most cable and satellite providers have comparable installation delays to AT&T's stated 9-10 day lead time.  The exceptions might be small, local cable TV providers that might be able to do it faster.

2. No executives from AT&T frequent this forum -- this is a peer-to-peer forum where most posters are just ordinary people.  Many are AT&T customers, but not all.  There are a few employees who post here, but not in an official capacity.

3. You may try to contact AT&T Customer Care here on this forum using a private message, however there is no guarantee they can move up your installation date.  Send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. Please take into account weekends when contacting them.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope at the top of the forum. List Private Messages

If you would like to contact the AT&T CEO or other members of the Board of Directors, click the "AT&T Links" tab in my signature below, then click on the "AT&T Corporate Governance" link.

On that page is a "Contact Us" section, and there is a link that says "How to Contact AT&T's Board of Directors". It contains a mailing address.

While some people have gotten good results using this method, there is no guarantee that your mail will be acted upon.

Re: Open Disgust with AT&T Customer Support regarding U-Verse Installation Wait

[ Edited ]
    2 of 17 (6,893 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 22, 2013 12:38:07 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by texasguy37 on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:05:46 PM

jsb1980 wrote:

On Saturday, September 21st, I ordered AT&T U-verse TV and Internet service to be installed as quickly as possible at an apartment I am moving into on Monday, September 23rd.  

Any reason why you waited until September 21st to order service for an apartment that you are moving into on September 23rd?  Calling on Saturday for any type of service from any type of provider that you want up and running on Monday is unlikely to happen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 17 (6,874 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 22, 2013 1:24:19 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I wasn't sure when the move was going to occur for one.....we kept changing dates for a couple of weeks.

4 of 17 (6,859 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 22, 2013 6:04:29 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

If that apartment has never had UVerse there is work that needs to be done outside prior to installation.  7-10 days lead is very reasonable.  Even when I had Dish/Direct and TWC I needed at least a weeks lead time for installation.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 17 (6,824 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2013 10:27:06 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I'm an exsisting customer and was given about a three week time frame for my new house to be connected, so I could transfer service. I've spoken with more people than I can shake a stick at and have gotten nowhere. AT&T clearly needs to beef up their installation team, because this is just unacceptable. Good luck.

6 of 17 (6,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2013 3:59:47 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

SomeJoe7777:

"If you would like to contact the AT&T CEO or other members of the Board of Directors, click the "AT&T Links" tab in my signature below, then click on the "AT&T Corporate Governance" link."

You obviously have not been following the latest AT&T news.  The latest person to send an email to the AT&T CEO received a response from the AT&T legal team asking for a 'cease and desist'.  Suggest that you do not post inflammatory recommendations such as 'contact the AT&T CEO' on this or any other forum, or you may get a 'cease and desist' from the AT&T legal department.

Just my thoughts.  Thanks.

7 of 17 (6,610 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2013 5:24:42 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

FredFusion wrote:

SomeJoe7777:

"If you would like to contact the AT&T CEO or other members of the Board of Directors, click the "AT&T Links" tab in my signature below, then click on the "AT&T Corporate Governance" link."

You obviously have not been following the latest AT&T news.  The latest person to send an email to the AT&T CEO received a response from the AT&T legal team asking for a 'cease and desist'.  Suggest that you do not post inflammatory recommendations such as 'contact the AT&T CEO' on this or any other forum, or you may get a 'cease and desist' from the AT&T legal department.

Just my thoughts.  Thanks.

Truth be told, the news that you refer to happened over 3 years ago (June 2010) and ATT apologized for it.

I couldn't find any news article that referenced the same thing happening since.

8 of 17 (6,604 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 2, 2013 5:00:06 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I am not going to get into a long debate about this, but:

1.  Never start out with 'Truth be told', does this mean that any post that does not begin with this is a lie or are you amazed that you are finally telling the truth!!!

2.  After the debacle of the presidential 'cease and desist', AT&T simply set up an 'Office of the President' email box so that all emails would be routed to that 'support center' rather than bother the president with the emails.  Since this is how most corporate organizations handle presidential emails, I do not disapprove of this practice, but please do not try to convince me that Randell Stephenson is personally reading each and every email.

3.  My own opinion is that if you did manage to get an email through the Mr. Stephenson, you would get a 'cease and desist' notification, although this time in less inflammatory language.

4.  If Customer Support was so good, it would not rank so high on the worst customer support lists (as of 2013).  In full disclosure, so do many other phone and cable companies, but I would rather focus on AT&T since I have personal experience with them.

5.  Most of the ACE responses seem to be 'send a PM to CustomerCare', or in this case, use the link to send a PM to the CEO, as if this is the panacea to bad service.  A better solution for AT&T would be to make the support rep. individually responsible for getting the problem solved so that the customer did not have to make all the phone calls and send all the messages and sign on to all the forums to get the problem addressed.

9 of 17 (6,563 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 2, 2013 5:21:55 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

All I was pointing out was that I could find NO recent (<3 yrs) reference to the statement: The latest person to send an email to the AT&T CEO received a response from the AT&T legal team asking for a 'cease and desist'.  

And upon reading the new articles (all of which were more than 3 years old), I read that it did in fact happen and ATT apologized.

Your above quote is not the truth.  We don't know what happened to the "latest" person to send an email.  Mr. Stephenson may have called a customer in Topeka yesterday and apologized profusely.  We just don't know.

I try to take the emotion out and deal with FACTS. 

So, yes, I was stating a fact, ie: Truth be told.

10 of 17 (6,557 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 2, 2013 5:27:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I wholeheartedly agree with numbers 4&5.

AT&T needs to fix its customer support.  Just because everyone else is providing similar bad service, doesn't mean that the we should take it lying down.  Even if it working well enough for most people that just need password resets doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get them  to improve service.

11 of 17 (6,532 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 2, 2013 9:06:17 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

FredFusion wrote:

I am not going to get into a long debate about this, but:

1.  Never start out with 'Truth be told', does this mean that any post that does not begin with this is a lie or are you amazed that you are finally telling the truth!!!

2.  After the debacle of the presidential 'cease and desist', AT&T simply set up an 'Office of the President' email box so that all emails would be routed to that 'support center' rather than bother the president with the emails.  Since this is how most corporate organizations handle presidential emails, I do not disapprove of this practice, but please do not try to convince me that Randell Stephenson is personally reading each and every email.

3.  My own opinion is that if you did manage to get an email through the Mr. Stephenson, you would get a 'cease and desist' notification, although this time in less inflammatory language.

4.  If Customer Support was so good, it would not rank so high on the worst customer support lists (as of 2013).  In full disclosure, so do many other phone and cable companies, but I would rather focus on AT&T since I have personal experience with them.

5.  Most of the ACE responses seem to be 'send a PM to CustomerCare', or in this case, use the link to send a PM to the CEO, as if this is the panacea to bad service.  A better solution for AT&T would be to make the support rep. individually responsible for getting the problem solved so that the customer did not have to make all the phone calls and send all the messages and sign on to all the forums to get the problem addressed.

In regards to number 4, where are you getting your information.  JD Powers has AT&T ranked as one of the highest in their last polls for television providers.  AT&T wireless ranks as one of the last.  Same company, two different departments.

In regards to number 5, us ACES are users just like yourself who do not have ANY access to any account information and cannot get a technician to your house to fix an issue.  When we tell someone to send a PM to CustomerCare it's because they work for AT&T and can get issues resolved.  If you don't want to take that advice, that's your choice.  The number of posts in these threads represent less than 1% of the total number of AT&T subscribers who have no issues or are able to get their issues resolved with a simple phone call.  Do a Google search for Comcast sucks or DirectTV/Dish/TWC and see how many hits you get. Basing anything on a forum provided by AT&T for AT&T users is rather narrow minded. I've had Direct/Dish and TWC and for the past 4 years AT&T has provided the best service of the group.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 17 (6,519 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 3, 2013 3:43:02 PM
    (0)
    Expert

FredFusion wrote:

Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you read here instead of filling in the blanks with what you want to say.

My suggestion to contact the CEO or board of directors is not an e-mail.  It is a link to AT&T's own website where they have published the mailing address (read that again since you missed it the first time -- a USPS mailing address) for contacting the CEO and/or board of directors.

No person has ever been sent any sort of "cease and desist" letter for sending postal mail to this address.  In fact, many have gotten their problem solved, although that's not always the case.

AT&T cannot and will not complain to any user for sending mail to this address since they've published it on their own website.  If AT&T didn't intend it to be used, they wouldn't have published it there.

I certainly suggest you take this route to get help with your issue, since your arrogant attitude has now precluded you from getting any help here.

13 of 17 (6,469 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 3, 2013 4:25:35 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Television is not internet. You need to look at the whole of JD Powers numbers. An award is only indicative that it's doing better than it competitors. You also need to look at the regions and the other factors. Verizon is doing better than AT&T in most regions that it competes in. AT&T is only better than Verizon in the South with Residential Wired Internet. They have plenty of room for improvement everywhere else. The scores are out of 1000 points and AT&T only gets to 642 in one region. They're only at 598 in the West. http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/909201677/2013-Residential+Wireline+Internet+Service+Provider+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

14 of 17 (6,461 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 3, 2013 10:17:30 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I thought I might update the community on this.....after being patient and contacting ATT Customer Care, they got my install date moved up by four days.  The apartment was previously wired for UVerse so there was nothing to it.  The install was fast and good, and I've been on UVerse for a week now and I am more than pleased with the service.  For those of you who are having customer support issues.....I wish you the best of luck in getting things done.  But my issue is solved.  Thank you!

15 of 17 (6,433 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2013 3:49:57 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

willchen wrote:
    Television is not internet. You need to look at the whole of JD Powers numbers. An award is only indicative that it's doing better than it competitors. You also need to look at the regions and the other factors. Verizon is doing better than AT&T in most regions that it competes in. AT&T is only better than Verizon in the South with Residential Wired Internet. They have plenty of room for improvement everywhere else. The scores are out of 1000 points and AT&T only gets to 642 in one region. They're only at 598 in the West. http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/909201677/2013-Residential+Wireline+Internet+Service+Provider+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

Obviously you didn't read my post, I said it was rated as one of the highest, I was correctly the poster that said it was one of the worst.  You have just proven my point. Thank you. You are correct Verizon is rated higher in most regions, but AT&T is right there with them. 

16 of 17 (6,415 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 8, 2013 7:55:36 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

A perfect score would be 1000 points.  642 is not a really high score.  That's like getting a D.  Just because you have a higher D score, it's still not good.  Sure, you're better than the other guy, but you aren't really meating expectations.  Why are you satisfied with barely passing?

17 of 17 (6,270 Views)