Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 14, 2014
9:40:16 PM
View profile
Ongoing Uverse Service Issues: UVRealtime pics
Edited by Intdesr on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:41:39 PM

Hi,

I have been a customer with ATT Uverse for about 5 years and we continue to have issues.  Finally about 5 months ago, we somehow got a technicial who took pity on us and made some adjustments that made our service work better (not 100% but more like 90%).

Anyways, he told us we have an electrical noise problem.  We have tried to locate the source with an am radio but can't seem to locate the issue. All of the outlets test ok according to the outlet meter. There's a little noise everywhere but we can't locate the source.

Here are some UVrealtime screenshots.  Any advice appreciated.  Please let me know if you see anything other than a noise issue as well.

Btw, we have the cable really on one cable from the TV and router to the cable input area (sorry for my bad terminology)

We have two surge protectors:  one tripplite and one non tripp lite.

Hi,

I have been a customer with ATT Uverse for about 5 years and we continue to have issues.  Finally about 5 months ago, we somehow got a technicial who took pity on us and made some adjustments that made our service work better (not 100% but more like 90%).

Anyways, he told us we have an electrical noise problem.  We have tried to locate the source with an am radio but can't seem to locate the issue. All of the outlets test ok according to the outlet meter. There's a little noise everywhere but we can't locate the source.

Here are some UVrealtime screenshots.  Any advice appreciated.  Please let me know if you see anything other than a noise issue as well.

Btw, we have the cable really on one cable from the TV and router to the cable input area (sorry for my bad terminology)

We have two surge protectors:  one tripplite and one non tripp lite.

Ongoing Uverse Service Issues: UVRealtime pics

[ Edited ]
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 10:19:51 PM
(0)
Employee
There is a dip in the 300-550khz range, too low for AM radio interference.

With the number of reboots (retrains), appears fairly regular.
First recommend disconnecting all TVs and equipment from RG, no hardwired into yellow ports, no coax TVs.
Monitor for some hours to see if keeps resetting, this may be good to do at bedtime, unplug all ports,take reading, take another reading when awake before hooking up equipment.

If not reboots, issue most likely voltage back feeding from piece of equipment...some TVs produce voltage that feeds back into cables to receiver, receiver to RG, after a lot of errors RG reboots. There is a grounding devices attach to coax out of tvto electric ground of wall, not to a strip.

If continued rebooting with equipment disconnected, leave equipment disconnected, use a UPS on battery only, not plugged in to see if errors continue with rebooting.
No reboots, house power, get a electrician involved.
Continued reboots signal to RG.

Move RG and freshly charged UPS to NID, plug in, take readings, check after couple hours, still taking errors outside issue from non grounded NID, back.
If no issues, then something with house wiring, install new cat5 home run, avoiding all lights and electrical areas as much as possible.

Other possible causes.... http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php
There is a dip in the 300-550khz range, too low for AM radio interference.

With the number of reboots (retrains), appears fairly regular.
First recommend disconnecting all TVs and equipment from RG, no hardwired into yellow ports, no coax TVs.
Monitor for some hours to see if keeps resetting, this may be good to do at bedtime, unplug all ports,take reading, take another reading when awake before hooking up equipment.

If not reboots, issue most likely voltage back feeding from piece of equipment...some TVs produce voltage that feeds back into cables to receiver, receiver to RG, after a lot of errors RG reboots. There is a grounding devices attach to coax out of tvto electric ground of wall, not to a strip.

If continued rebooting with equipment disconnected, leave equipment disconnected, use a UPS on battery only, not plugged in to see if errors continue with rebooting.
No reboots, house power, get a electrician involved.
Continued reboots signal to RG.

Move RG and freshly charged UPS to NID, plug in, take readings, check after couple hours, still taking errors outside issue from non grounded NID, back.
If no issues, then something with house wiring, install new cat5 home run, avoiding all lights and electrical areas as much as possible.

Other possible causes.... http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoot/interference.php
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Ongoing Uverse Service Issues: UVRealtime pics

2 of 17 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 1:43:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Intdesr on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:44:13 AM

It's been two hours and there haven't been any resets so it looks like there's voltage coming from the TV.  What are some remedies for this?

I read my home inspection report from 5 years ago and it indicated the house was grounded BUT it indicates there's a broken outlet upstairs..  Not sure if that will be a solution but we'll try it. We only tried the outlets downstairs.  

Any other remedies? 

It's been two hours and there haven't been any resets so it looks like there's voltage coming from the TV.  What are some remedies for this?

I read my home inspection report from 5 years ago and it indicated the house was grounded BUT it indicates there's a broken outlet upstairs..  Not sure if that will be a solution but we'll try it. We only tried the outlets downstairs.  

Any other remedies? 

[ Edited ]
3 of 17 (651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 1:46:52 AM
(0)
Tutor
Are you saying in your post that we should plug the tv into the wall rather than to a strip?
Are you saying in your post that we should plug the tv into the wall rather than to a strip?

4 of 17 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 5:52:55 AM
(0)
Employee
If suspect TV voltage back feed try using a non contact vo,stage detector on back of TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUw79RJMj-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Depending on features $15-$25 seems Ace Hardware has the Sperry shown.

If identify the TV set, will need a small section of coax cable (6 feet) and a grounding device, will try to post later with name.
Attach one end of coax to TV the other to grounding block, plug the block into wall outlet.
May want to purchase little 3 prong tester to verify outlet is grounded.
If suspect TV voltage back feed try using a non contact vo,stage detector on back of TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUw79RJMj-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Depending on features $15-$25 seems Ace Hardware has the Sperry shown.

If identify the TV set, will need a small section of coax cable (6 feet) and a grounding device, will try to post later with name.
Attach one end of coax to TV the other to grounding block, plug the block into wall outlet.
May want to purchase little 3 prong tester to verify outlet is grounded.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 17 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 3:09:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

We're fairly certain it's the TV.   The outlet itself is grounded.

It would be great to get a name to that grounding device.

We're fairly certain it's the TV.   The outlet itself is grounded.

It would be great to get a name to that grounding device.

6 of 17 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 9:26:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

We thought it was the TV but it wasn't.  We have:

1.  Turned the tv off and disconnected=errors

2.  Connected to the battery=errors

We did disconnect a Sprint Airwave (makes a cell tower in the house because our Sprint signal is terrible). So far so decent. There were 7000 corrected blocks but otherwise there really haven't been any errors.  Will monitor this for a while.

We thought it was the TV but it wasn't.  We have:

1.  Turned the tv off and disconnected=errors

2.  Connected to the battery=errors

We did disconnect a Sprint Airwave (makes a cell tower in the house because our Sprint signal is terrible). So far so decent. There were 7000 corrected blocks but otherwise there really haven't been any errors.  Will monitor this for a while.

7 of 17 (540 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 9:47:22 PM
(0)
Employee
Good to hear still being a detective, for sake of completeness from my earlier post.
The TII 442 grounding module and 442C (coax)

http://www.comm-omni.com/tii/tii442.htm

Modern equipment does not have metal chassis, therefore no 3 prong outlets. But that does not mean a voltage cannot exist that will follow path of least resistance such as copper found in all Ethernet or coax cables.

A voltage detector around back of TV (see earlier post) will help to identify if voltage exists.
Good to hear still being a detective, for sake of completeness from my earlier post.
The TII 442 grounding module and 442C (coax)

http://www.comm-omni.com/tii/tii442.htm

Modern equipment does not have metal chassis, therefore no 3 prong outlets. But that does not mean a voltage cannot exist that will follow path of least resistance such as copper found in all Ethernet or coax cables.

A voltage detector around back of TV (see earlier post) will help to identify if voltage exists.

8 of 17 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 8:48:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

My husband works with electricity for the Navy (though completely different) and these were his findings:

To recap, here are the steps that we have taken to this point:

1. Our television has hot, neutral and ground prongs on the plug and I have been unable to identify any stray voltages (24V) or less other than when in the proximity of the power plug.I checked all the HDMI (even replaced with component cables) cables connected at the rear of the TV.

2. We disconnected all CAT5 cables from the back of the RG and the failures persisted

3. We placed the RG on UPS (UPS not connected to 120V) and the failures persisted

4. I checked the ground bar in the junction box where service enters the residence and found no abnormalities (0 OHMS from the bar to ground)

5 Installed an additional ground bar in the coax supply in the residence to the RG and routed the ground to a known good receptacle ground

6.  All power outlets in house have tested grounded

7. We have eliminated power to nearly all the electrical equipment in and around the RG (surround sound system, UVERSE cable WIFI, AIRAVE, DVD player, printer on WIFI, XBOX and WII) and have not seen a change in the failures.

8. Conducted voltage measurements on COAX cable at the RG to ground on a nearby receptacle and found no AC voltage.

Anymore ideas?

My husband works with electricity for the Navy (though completely different) and these were his findings:

To recap, here are the steps that we have taken to this point:

1. Our television has hot, neutral and ground prongs on the plug and I have been unable to identify any stray voltages (24V) or less other than when in the proximity of the power plug.I checked all the HDMI (even replaced with component cables) cables connected at the rear of the TV.

2. We disconnected all CAT5 cables from the back of the RG and the failures persisted

3. We placed the RG on UPS (UPS not connected to 120V) and the failures persisted

4. I checked the ground bar in the junction box where service enters the residence and found no abnormalities (0 OHMS from the bar to ground)

5 Installed an additional ground bar in the coax supply in the residence to the RG and routed the ground to a known good receptacle ground

6.  All power outlets in house have tested grounded

7. We have eliminated power to nearly all the electrical equipment in and around the RG (surround sound system, UVERSE cable WIFI, AIRAVE, DVD player, printer on WIFI, XBOX and WII) and have not seen a change in the failures.

8. Conducted voltage measurements on COAX cable at the RG to ground on a nearby receptacle and found no AC voltage.

Anymore ideas?

9 of 17 (488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 10:34:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Intdesr on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:42:49 PM

Would it help to change the channel on my RG?  It's on channel 5, I believe.

It looks like it's on auto and the channel was chosen...

Would it help to change the channel on my RG?  It's on channel 5, I believe.

It looks like it's on auto and the channel was chosen...

[ Edited ]
10 of 17 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 5:11:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:13:55 AM

Sounds like you have covered the waterfront without success, How about something hard wired and critical to life, such as furnace (high efficient gas furnace is known offender or water pump. Can you turn off either for a short period, as a test?

Another thought - HAM or amatuer radio operator in neighborhood - all the way to the VRAD, which leads to problem with electric lighting on the street??

Sounds like you have covered the waterfront without success, How about something hard wired and critical to life, such as furnace (high efficient gas furnace is known offender or water pump. Can you turn off either for a short period, as a test?

Another thought - HAM or amatuer radio operator in neighborhood - all the way to the VRAD, which leads to problem with electric lighting on the street??

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
11 of 17 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 3:29:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Intdesr on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:30:33 PM

We really have.  Next, we're going to hook up the cable box and computer to the cable right where it meets the house to disqualify interior electrical noise.  

Then, we'll go circuit breaker to circuit breaker to see if we can narrow something down. We did this earlier and it excluded the furnace.  We'll be trying it again.  How would we detect a ham radio in our neighborhood?

Then, we'll have a electrician come out to double check everything. 

Here are updated screenshots.  We only have the modem, dvr and tv hooked up:

We really have.  Next, we're going to hook up the cable box and computer to the cable right where it meets the house to disqualify interior electrical noise.  

Then, we'll go circuit breaker to circuit breaker to see if we can narrow something down. We did this earlier and it excluded the furnace.  We'll be trying it again.  How would we detect a ham radio in our neighborhood?

Then, we'll have a electrician come out to double check everything. 

Here are updated screenshots.  We only have the modem, dvr and tv hooked up:

[ Edited ]
12 of 17 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 3:41:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Intdesr - RE: How would we detect a ham radio in our neighborhood?

Might have a very large antenna on top of a very tall mast. You could ask others. Have you asked if anyone else is having U-verse problems?

Some states issue special license plates like - K1 (lightening bolt) abc
Intdesr - RE: How would we detect a ham radio in our neighborhood?

Might have a very large antenna on top of a very tall mast. You could ask others. Have you asked if anyone else is having U-verse problems?

Some states issue special license plates like - K1 (lightening bolt) abc
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 17 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 3:56:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
Should we call Uverse tech support and have them come out to make sure there isn't an external problem?
Should we call Uverse tech support and have them come out to make sure there isn't an external problem?

14 of 17 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 7:47:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Results when modem is plugged into the cable that comes into the house and then ethernet from laptop plugged into modem:

Problem suggests an EXTERIOR problem.  

Contacting Uverse for technical support

We'll keep an eye out for Ham radio equipment

Results when modem is plugged into the cable that comes into the house and then ethernet from laptop plugged into modem:

Problem suggests an EXTERIOR problem.  

Contacting Uverse for technical support

We'll keep an eye out for Ham radio equipment

15 of 17 (379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 8:14:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Update: So I cal Uverse and it does that line check where it says there's a problem outside! LOLLLL I've never felt so validated before!! I've actually never had that response before and I've been calling in the last 2 weeks to schedule appts.
Update: So I cal Uverse and it does that line check where it says there's a problem outside! LOLLLL I've never felt so validated before!! I've actually never had that response before and I've been calling in the last 2 weeks to schedule appts.

16 of 17 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 6:07:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Intdesr - Good to hear you are making progress. It took a lot of fortitude to get this far. Keep up the good work and also keep us informed on future developments.
Intdesr - Good to hear you are making progress. It took a lot of fortitude to get this far. Keep up the good work and also keep us informed on future developments.

17 of 17 (352 Views)