Helpful Links

On Demand

Mentor

On Demand

Can someone PLEASE tell me why this has changed? What's the point? Because there are only four feeds into a home and we have five boxes and there is always a conflict with recording and viewing, I use the On Demand free TV shows feature to view programmes that I can't record due to the four feed only issue. (That is a major pain.)

I don't have the time, most of the time to just sit and watch a full show, or... I fall asleep at night in the middle of one. I don't want to have to go back to the beginning just to be able to finish the programme that I had started previously, and this makes no sense to me at all. We could do it before, so why has this been stopped please? Geez - we are paying $294 a month for our U-Verse services (it keeps rising) and yet the features seem to be declining?

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: On Demand

kathmat - I believe there never was a fall asleep feature. The system relies on a stop signal form the remote to stop the recording or on-demand. If it does not receive that signal, it plays to the end & can only be restarted from the beginning. You need to FF to find the last place you can remember. Ask me how I know this.

I believe there is a safety invention for driving - an earpiece that detects the head roll of sleep. If this could be used as a switch to trigger the stop message to the DVR you would be able to resume watching at the appropriate location.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:
kathmat - I believe there never was a fall asleep feature. The system relies on a stop signal form the remote to stop the recording or on-demand. If it does not receive that signal, it plays to the end & can only be restarted from the beginning. You need to FF to find the last place you can remember. Ask me how I know this.

I believe there is a safety invention for driving - an earpiece that detects the head roll of sleep. If this could be used as a switch to trigger the stop message to the DVR you would be able to resume watching at the appropriate location.

GENIUS! 

Better yet, have something attached to your eyelids to detect when they are in the 'down' postion for more than, let's say, 5 secs.  The recording/OD program would stop so it could be resumed at a later time. 

Now THAT would be "Rethink Possible"!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

So, I googled driver wake up alarm & found they are readily available - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=driver+wake+up+alert&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&...

But, they do wake you with a buzzer. To let you sleep, they would need to trigger the stop on the STB.
Message 4 of 11
Mentor

I think you misunderstood. I set "sleep" on my TV using the TV remote nothing to do with U-Verse. It works perfectly and if I am watching a recorded show and it continues to the end after I have fallen

asleep, or to the point where the TV timer kicks in and the TV turns off, no problem. The following night I can go back to my recording and fast forward. 

I have been unable to do this however with the On-Demand "free" TV shows, as it takes you back to the beginning and then tells you "Fast Forward or Rewind may not be available for this programme." That has applied to every show that I have ever tried to do either action on.

As stated in my post of today (12th July 2015) though, I have noticed that for the past week I have been able to do both fast forward and rewind to these shows. Hip Hip Hooray!  I can only keep my fingers crossed that it continues.  

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

OK - I see that you had this problem two years ago & now it has gone away. Good you have reported the change.

Back then , I think we did not have enough experience to explain it. My explanation now would be that the on-demand shows have diffferent contract criteria than recorded shows. The on-demand shows lean heavier towards requiring you to watch the ads. Hence, no FF.  Your need to FF to where you stopped watching is blocked by this requirement.

Perhaps, the reason it has been lifted is that the contracts have lightened up.

Another thing that came to mind - There were a number of posts about how to find shows that had been partially watched. There is a program list above where the cursor is to access active programs. But, I believe programs need to be added to that list manually. Not sure if your active programs would be added automatically. And, if you restart from that list it would make any difference with how they behave.

Sounds like you need to escalate repair efforts to get your u-verse to work. A community mgr should jump in & offere help.

Message 6 of 11
Mentor

Thank you for responding.

I am of course going to monitor the situation and as said, keep my fingers crossed that it remains as is, as without those features On-Demand is useless to us.

Again, thank you very much for responding and explaining the reasons why.

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Master

The following observation is somewhat limited but this might explain why you can FF some "free" shows and some you cannot:

If the OD series/program was on a 'premium' channel such as Showtime or Encore, FF/RW has always been available.   Example: "Master of SSmiley Surprisedx*" (Showtime):  FF is available

If the OD show was originally on a 'commercial' channel like ABC/NBC/ or even HGTV you cannot FF through these because, let's face it, there are limited commercials that they want you to watch.  Example:  "Flip or Flop" (HGTV).  FF is not available.

Bottom line:  If there were commercials originally, there will be commercials on OD version and you cannot FF.  No commercials?  FF to your hearts content.

*word filter

Message 8 of 11
Mentor

I really appreciate the explanations that I have received via this forum. You know sometimes all it takes is a little communication to reach the “Aha moment,” or at least understand the why’s and wherefores of an issue. I am going to monitor the programmes that I watch on On-Demand. Currently they are Major Crimes, Rizzoli & Isles, Suits, and generally anything that comes on at ten and which is when my circadian rhythms kick-in.

With four feeds and five boxes in our home with five people living here, (Millenia’s God bless em Smiley Wink recording those ten o’clock shows is not always an option, so I am grateful that they are available on On-Demand.

Again - fingers crossed that the status-quo remains as is and for whatever reason it changed. I appreciate the advertisers position, but ATT also has to remember that we the consumers pay a lot of money for their services, so we need to be catered to as well, don’t you think?

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

@kathmat Fortunately, I can record those shows during prime time. But, if I could not, I would record them when they replay later in the wee hours.

I really like recording & cannot seem to get into on-demand. I know it is very popular, but it just is not the same to me & not yet reliable enough for me.

Message 10 of 11
Mentor

Oh I do that as well if I can. But with five people in the house, and everybody recording something, one’s recording space fills up very quickly, especially when some of them are recording a series and don’t always have the time to be current with their viewing.

Monday night is one of the nights that we are all at home and there are four televisions in use, so very often when I escape to my own sleeping non-husband snoring room at ten, and everyone else is watching something different, that leaves me out of the loop. At which point - thank heaven for Apple TV and Netflix!

Other companies are constantly trying to get me to switch, but my feeling on that or at least with regard to this area of life, is that the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know. That being said… should our bill continue to rise as it seems to do at a steady pace, and we do not feel that we are getting value for money, or our internet speeds continue to be not as fast as others, (we pay for premium speed, and to add insult to injury there is no signal on one side of the house despite all sorts of boosters - my neighbour was telling me she has the same problem), all bets are off with regard to our twenty-eight years with ATT. Loyalty can only go so far, until it starts to bite you in the posterior.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support