On Demand with Set Top Box

ACE - Master

On Demand with Set Top Box

I have been noticing lately that while watching on demand movies on HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. and when there are fast moving scenes there is a blur either around or behind the moving object.  For instance, if someone were riding a horse and moving fast across the screen in front of the horse and rider it's perfectly clear, but behind the person and horse it's blurry.  But just right behind them, not the whole rest of the screen behind them.  It's hard to explain.  The only way I can explain it would be sort of like if you could see the wind moving behind them, that would be the blurry part I'm talking about.

I do not see this behavior on the TV with the DVR.  It's not just one movie or one provider.  I do not notice this on regular HD channels I watch. The box has an HDMI cable from it straight to the TV.  This started about 3 weeks ago and I thought it might clear up.  Any ideas?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 9
Employee

Re: On Demand with Set Top Box

Hello beebeesa, thank you for the heads up on the quality of on demand programming. We will begin investigating this in our lab and attempt to duplicate what you are experiencing. It helps a lot that you pointed out the DVR is not experiencing this. I do not have further troubleshooting steps for this specific issue but will provide you more information as we continue our research.Smiley Wink

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

What are the models of your STB and DVR.  Maybe your STB isn't capable of decompressing content at the same rate at the DVR?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
ACE - Master

I have the new DVR VIP2250 and the original VIP1200 from '08, but I think I have it corrected.  I went into my Sony 52XBR9 and adjusted CineMotion, and the MPEG Noise Reduction and so far it seems to have corrected the issue.  I'll keep testing and update if needed.

So far so good.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

If you're insatiably curious, (assuming your TV's aren't identical) you could put the TV back the way it was and switch your DVR and STB and see what your results are.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Master

Yep that was what one of the community managers asked in a PM but getting to and swapping the DVR is a royal pain in the you know what!! Smiley Wink  The DVR is in my entertainment system.

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

I hear that.  I just got a new TV and a WiiU, and spent a while cleaning out the wiring in the component cabinet.  I need a new Home Theater receiver that supports HDMI and/or component.  And a BluRay player.

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Master

I bought one of these: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreSearch?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&...

Like it allot because I have my U-verse, Blu Ray, etc. all running thru it with HDMI and one out of the A/V receiver to the TV.  TV is Sony, Blu Ray Sony, so all I hit is the power button on the AT&T remote and the U-verse DVR powers up, the TV, and the A/V receiver all at the same time.  Then since the TV knows the A/V receiver is powered up it automatically switches to external speakers from the internal TV speakers.  If I don't want the A/V receiver on I punch that button on the AT&T remote, power it off, and the TV automatically switches the speakers from external to the internal ones.  Works like a charm!!  No harmony remote needed here!!!Smiley Wink

Same with the Blu Ray....Power it on and change the input on the A/V receiver and off we go. 

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

Thanks for the pointer.  Sony "corrected" the DN1020 to the new DN1040.  I have an older Sony home theater amp now, (IIRC a DE524) but it has two problems with it:

1) The front right output seems to have some issue (volume much lower that it should be, about -15dB loss).

2) It supports only composite and S-video.

I have a DVR providing optical auto to the amp and the STB could be, if I had the optical cable for it.  The DVR is connected via composite and I'm using the [single] component/composite input to the TV.  The STB is using one of the TV's two HDMI inputs, and the WiiU the other.

Been considering getting an "all in one" box BluRay player & amp.  Wireless back channel speakers that come with some of these sets would be nice (to replace my dual, but single channel ones I have now), but they don't have many inputs.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support