On Demand seasons missing episodes

On Demand seasons missing episodes

When I get a book from the library, it has chapters 1...n (n being the last chapter)

When I open up Uverse On Demand and navigate to Agents of Shield HD, it is missing episodes.
I think it goes from episode 1 to episode 4.

Does anyone know a way to have the missing episodes added?  Or is there a nefarious CEO behind all of this and no one is allowed to see certain on demand episodes of agents of shield episodes?

Message 1 of 16 (3,789 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: On Demand seasons missing episodes

JustDan13579 wrote:

When I get a book from the library, it has chapters 1...n (n being the last chapter)

When I open up Uverse On Demand and navigate to Agents of Shield HD, it is missing episodes.
I think it goes from episode 1 to episode 4.

Does anyone know a way to have the missing episodes added?  Or is there a nefarious CEO behind all of this and no one is allowed to see certain on demand episodes of agents of shield episodes?

I have a different TV provider. I looked up Agents of Shield on demand, and see the first available episode is the one the aired 10/15. I don't know episode numbers, but perhaps the error is not that there are episodes missing, but rather episode 1 hasn't been removed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 16 (3,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are many factors which affect On-Demand content availiability. One such factor is licensing. Content delivery partners work closely with content providers (such as ABC), to determine what content they will make available to their TV-Service provider clients. The content delivery partners will then provide the TV-Service providers with a copy of the digital content to add to their On-Demand Servers (or grant them access to record the stream as it airs) and issue them a license for a certain time-frame. (Which is why episodes expire.) (This is the basic process, the technical process is more complicated.)

ABC tends to license only the episodes it has available on the Go network, and new episodes from the day before. (For ABC, the go network services WatchABC apps and website.)

Another factor, which applies sometimes, is the capacity of U-Verse's Video on Demand Content Delivery Servers. They can't support too many On Demand HD-streams due to limitations. In some cases, different programs may be licensed in both SD and HD formats, but only the SD (usually, but sometimes HD.) is provided at U-Verse's discretion. (Edit: Possibly incorrect or misleading.)

Message 3 of 16 (3,742 Views)

I just think it's silly that you would have episode 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3.  It doesn't make any sense.  And it's a popular TV show in it's first season, so you would think all the episodes that have aired would be available on demand.  I guess no one is demanding to watch episodes 2 or 3?  Smiley Frustrated

It makes sense to me, anyway.

Message 4 of 16 (3,723 Views)

julywashere wrote:

There are many factors which affect On-Demand content availiability. One such factor is licensing. Content delivery partners work closely with content providers (such as ABC), to determine what content they will make available to their TV-Service provider clients. The content delivery partners will then provide the TV-Service providers with a copy of the digital content to add to their On-Demand Servers (or grant them access to record the stream as it airs) and issue them a license for a certain time-frame. (Which is why episodes expire.) (This is the basic process, the technical process is more complicated.)

ABC tends to license only the episodes it has available on the Go network, and new episodes from the day before. (For ABC, the go network services WatchABC apps and website.)

Another factor, which applies sometimes, is the capacity of U-Verse's Video on Demand Content Delivery Servers. They can't support too many On Demand HD-streams due to limitations. In some cases, different programs may be licensed in both SD and HD formats, but only the SD (usually, but sometimes HD.) is provided at U-Verse's discretion.

That has NOTHING to do with on demand content. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 16 (3,714 Views)

JustDan13579 wrote:

I just think it's silly that you would have episode 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3.  It doesn't make any sense.  And it's a popular TV show in it's first season, so you would think all the episodes that have aired would be available on demand.  I guess no one is demanding to watch episodes 2 or 3?  Smiley Frustrated

It makes sense to me, anyway.

It makes sense, however ABC's VOD agreements are actually for the purpose of catching up. (By allowing viewers to watch the most recent episodes)

The reason episode 1 is available has to do with ABC's schedule. On Tuesday, October 29, 2013, the pilot episode was re-broadcast. I checked my On-Demand selection, and noticed the order. Ep 104, 105, 101, 106, 108. Note how episode 101 is after episode 105. It is in order based on broadcast date, rather than series order. (Also, 108 is incorrect. It's actually episode 7 or 107.) Technically it's still following ABC's last five episodes TV agreement.

MicCheck, I suspect you have an entry for episode 1 as having aired 10/29.

Message 6 of 16 (3,708 Views)

oufanindallas wrote:

julywashere wrote:

Another factor, which applies sometimes, is the capacity of U-Verse's Video on Demand Content Delivery Servers. They can't support too many On Demand HD-streams due to limitations. In some cases, different programs may be licensed in both SD and HD formats, but only the SD (usually, but sometimes HD.) is provided at U-Verse's discretion.

Ah, I apologize for that then! Thank you for clarifying. This was something I was told by an "expert" in the field. Perhaps we weren't on the same page, or he wasn't fully aware of this.

Message 7 of 16 (3,706 Views)

julywashere wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

julywashere wrote:

Ah, I apologize for that then! Thank you for clarifying. This was something I was told by an "expert" in the field. Perhaps we weren't on the same page, or he wasn't fully aware of this.

Yeah, not sure which "expert" you talked to, but the number of streams available has nothing to do with the content for On Demand. That is all contract based.  Where the number of streams comes into effect is how many On Demand streams can be viewed at one time. That's based on the number of streams you are limited to. 4.  That can be a mixture of live or On Demand.  Recorded shows have no bearing on the number of streams.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 16 (3,673 Views)
ACE - Master

julywashere: The content owner (HBO, ABC, FOX and so on) decide what episodes / seasons are available. Now U-Verse, Comcast, Time Warner may not have unlimited storage but it's the content owner who decides what episodes are currently available.  Premium channels have apps (Go HBO, Showtime Anytime) that have more available at any one time, since they have unlimited storage.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 16 (3,619 Views)
Employee

The better explanation would be the license for those two episodes expired and was up. The first episode is a Pilot episode so the provider would have a longer viewer license for that one episode. Hence missing 2 and 3 and having 4 available.

The Truth is out there!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 16 (3,591 Views)

Not to contradict Fox Mulder's post. The pilot episode's original licence was the same length and expired, however, in a series scheduled break, the provider chose to air the pilot again. As the catch-up VOD agreement grants licensing to the episode played that week, the pilot was granted a new license.
Message 11 of 16 (3,546 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

julywashere wrote:
Not to contradict Fox Mulder's post. The pilot episode's original licence was the same length and expired, however, in a series scheduled break, the provider chose to air the pilot again. As the catch-up VOD agreement grants licensing to the episode played that week, the pilot was granted a new license.

You know the terms of AT&T's VOD agreement?  Where did you find them.  I'd like to read them, too!

Message 12 of 16 (3,540 Views)
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem with Crisis.  Episode 1 has dropped off and now, episodes 2,3,4,6 are available.  Episode 5 is missing.  Now, I've read some of the other posts and the speculation regarding licensing of episodes and I this is not that.  The episode was simply not made available and I believe it is just a sign of a poorly managed offering by AT&T. 

I've found several issues with the On Demand service.  As an example, if you look at the menu structure, and select Free Shows -> PrimeTime TV, you will see that now, CBS HD is at the bottom, below all of the standard definition channels.  This just happened in the last week or so.  Before, they were sorted properly with the HD at the top. 

I've been fairly silent until now, but this is getting a little frustrating.  I appreciate everyone's inputs, but has anyone been able to get an explanation from an AT&T representative? 

Message 13 of 16 (3,351 Views)
Scholar

Some things you need to understand about Video On Demand.

First, AT&T doesn't really control what appears there, it depends on what the content provider wants to make available.  About the only schedules that are consistent between AT&T and the cable guys are from the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore).

Second, Crisis is an NBC television series.  NBC is owned by Comcast.  Comcast hates AT&T, and if you live in an area served by Comcast, you know all about the ads that reinforce that idea.  About the only reason that NBC "lets" AT&T have VOD access to their schedule is because they NEED any pair of eyes they can get -- for their original programming, at least.  Also the fact that AT&T has to sign a contract with the local NBC affiliates, so any NON-NBC owned affiliate would be flooded with calls if AT&T customers couldn't get their NBC VOD.

Related to the above is the fact that Comcast owns the major repository for VOD services which feed all of the cable companies (it's a huge uplink facility in Colorado).  Some of the major programmers, such as Discovery Networks and Time Warner (TNT, TBS, etc), limit what they have available to AT&T because of Comcast's "hinting."  Discovery Networks simply doesn't allow any VOD out to AT&T, even though new deals were signed within the past year, the most recent being with BBC America, when AT&T finally got access to the HD feed.  Discovery has a significant BBCA program selection on VOD on Comcast, but even with that new agreement, AT&T doesn't get access.  Hmmmm...coincidence?  TBS has for close to 2 years had a "beefed up" VOD selection on Comcast VOD, where they upload the rebroadcasts of their comedy block programs a few days later (Seinfeld, King of Queens, etc) complete with commercials -- if you DVR them one day and then go to VOD a few days later, you see they are exactly the same.  Oddly, AT&T has re-upped a contract with Time Warner, and even though TBS is one of the top-performers in ratings, somehow Time Warner doesn't think AT&T should have their full VOD schedule.  Yet another coincidence.....

Now HOW the VOD listings are displayed (menu order), that is something that AT&T does.  TBH, it's more of glitches in the updating, because it happens to almost all providers.

Message 14 of 16 (3,328 Views)

@rglight 

I was watching Crisis, however since it is more than likely cancelled I have pretty much stopped watching it.

Message 15 of 16 (3,317 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.