Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 8, 2013
7:45:33 AM
View profile
Odd quirk with the "add a channel" site
Edited by baseballisback on Jul 8, 2013 at 7:47:09 AM

So there's the site at www.att.com/uversecentral where you can add or change programming.

I had three months free HBO and Cinemax. When it expired, I casually asked the CSR if they could add it back on. Somehow, they did.

The second three free months just ended and I tried to do it again. After all, the website I mentioned above has the blue "3 months free" text. Well, it turns out that's just a marketing gimmick, since I'm not eligible for 3 months free. I *am* eligible for 3 months free HBO only though. If I want Cinemax, I'd have to pay $14/mo for it.

If I want HBO 3 months free and pay $14 for Cinemax?? The website won't allow that. I click both boxes, or even try to add individually and it wants me to pay the price for HBO AND Cinemax.

I noticed a similar thing with the Vietnamese package.  Here's a map:

___ HBO/Cinemax 3 months free

___ HBO

___ Cinemax

If I click both those lower boxes, it auto-clicks the top one. If I click HBO then click "submit" and then go back in to click the HBO, it auto-clicks the top.

You'd think I could add the one for free AND pay $14/mo for Cinemax.. After all, that appears to be within the rules, right? Adding one promotion and paying full price for another channel?

I guess not.

So there's the site at www.att.com/uversecentral where you can add or change programming.

I had three months free HBO and Cinemax. When it expired, I casually asked the CSR if they could add it back on. Somehow, they did.

The second three free months just ended and I tried to do it again. After all, the website I mentioned above has the blue "3 months free" text. Well, it turns out that's just a marketing gimmick, since I'm not eligible for 3 months free. I *am* eligible for 3 months free HBO only though. If I want Cinemax, I'd have to pay $14/mo for it.

If I want HBO 3 months free and pay $14 for Cinemax?? The website won't allow that. I click both boxes, or even try to add individually and it wants me to pay the price for HBO AND Cinemax.

I noticed a similar thing with the Vietnamese package.  Here's a map:

___ HBO/Cinemax 3 months free

___ HBO

___ Cinemax

If I click both those lower boxes, it auto-clicks the top one. If I click HBO then click "submit" and then go back in to click the HBO, it auto-clicks the top.

You'd think I could add the one for free AND pay $14/mo for Cinemax.. After all, that appears to be within the rules, right? Adding one promotion and paying full price for another channel?

I guess not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Odd quirk with the "add a channel" site

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 6:03:03 PM
(0)
Employee
You admit to having six months of free HBO and Cinemas on promotion packages which normally when ends ends or sign up for pay packages. If desire is more freebies try showtime or others maybe allowed or try changing you subscribed service from say u200 to u300 (warning may lose or gain bundle pricing options) or how about the u450 where I believe you get it all and do not need a 3 month promo. Many options available the choice is yours but another 3 months of free HBO???
You admit to having six months of free HBO and Cinemas on promotion packages which normally when ends ends or sign up for pay packages. If desire is more freebies try showtime or others maybe allowed or try changing you subscribed service from say u200 to u300 (warning may lose or gain bundle pricing options) or how about the u450 where I believe you get it all and do not need a 3 month promo. Many options available the choice is yours but another 3 months of free HBO???
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Odd quirk with the "add a channel" site

2 of 5 (322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 7:12:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Your post is hilarious, you admit to having HBO/Cinemax free for 3 months. Then calling customer service and getting an additional 3 months. Now your trying to do it again but this time Cinemax is blank out. There no probelm with the site you got away once, their not going to give you 9 months of HBO and Cinemax for free.

Your post is hilarious, you admit to having HBO/Cinemax free for 3 months. Then calling customer service and getting an additional 3 months. Now your trying to do it again but this time Cinemax is blank out. There no probelm with the site you got away once, their not going to give you 9 months of HBO and Cinemax for free.

3 of 5 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 2:23:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by baseballisback on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:14:46 PM

To be honest, I have been having a lot of issues over the past few years. They've replaced many, many feet of wiring in the house, replaced a DVR, took out a lot of "dead end" wiring that didn't go anywhere, replaced splitters, fliters, etc. One CSR even said something about "trouble-flagging" the account or whatever it was.

It's not the cat. There's no kids in the house that could do anything harmful. I think it's a matter of installing coax back in the early 80s (or whenever it was) and having it sit there for all those years and degrade.

FWIW, I might have been one of the first people ever to have cable TV. Naturally, it all had to be replaced over a very brief span. I think I was one of the first people ever to sign up for two-way TV services.

I have no idea why I was eligible for six months free HBO/Cinemax, but I'm certainly not complaining. If they want to take money off my bill or give me free programming or whatever...it's legal...I'm not going to complain. They know I can easily take my business to one of the two cable providers or two satellite companies in my area. -- There's actually a third cable provider in my city, but not in my neighborhood. I live in a very competitive area. It's very difficult to watch 30 minutes of commercial TV without seeing a commercial for a major cable provider.

I just think it was a bit interesting that the system allows for 3 months free HBO...the system would also allow me to pay $14/mo for Cinemax...if I wanted to do both, I guess I couldn't.

To be honest, I have been having a lot of issues over the past few years. They've replaced many, many feet of wiring in the house, replaced a DVR, took out a lot of "dead end" wiring that didn't go anywhere, replaced splitters, fliters, etc. One CSR even said something about "trouble-flagging" the account or whatever it was.

It's not the cat. There's no kids in the house that could do anything harmful. I think it's a matter of installing coax back in the early 80s (or whenever it was) and having it sit there for all those years and degrade.

FWIW, I might have been one of the first people ever to have cable TV. Naturally, it all had to be replaced over a very brief span. I think I was one of the first people ever to sign up for two-way TV services.

I have no idea why I was eligible for six months free HBO/Cinemax, but I'm certainly not complaining. If they want to take money off my bill or give me free programming or whatever...it's legal...I'm not going to complain. They know I can easily take my business to one of the two cable providers or two satellite companies in my area. -- There's actually a third cable provider in my city, but not in my neighborhood. I live in a very competitive area. It's very difficult to watch 30 minutes of commercial TV without seeing a commercial for a major cable provider.

I just think it was a bit interesting that the system allows for 3 months free HBO...the system would also allow me to pay $14/mo for Cinemax...if I wanted to do both, I guess I couldn't.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (282 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 8:07:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

I agree - you are well within your rights to seek freebies.  I have been known to do that. Smiley Tongue  Pay TV is no different than airline flights, hotels or autos.  Everyone pays a different price for the same thing.  Even your seatmate / stranger on a flight probably paid different than you did.  Some folks get a big discount, some a small one and some LOVE paying full fare.  Pay TV, Airlines and Hotels would never survive if everyone payed "rack rate," simply because people would look elsewhere.

baseballisback wrote:

I agree - you are well within your rights to seek freebies.  I have been known to do that. Smiley Tongue  Pay TV is no different than airline flights, hotels or autos.  Everyone pays a different price for the same thing.  Even your seatmate / stranger on a flight probably paid different than you did.  Some folks get a big discount, some a small one and some LOVE paying full fare.  Pay TV, Airlines and Hotels would never survive if everyone payed "rack rate," simply because people would look elsewhere.

5 of 5 (230 Views)