Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 13, 2013
10:16:52 AM
View profile
Not able to port some Uverse numbers away from AT&T?

I wanted to port my number away from Uverse to T-Mobile.  Unfortunately, after requesting the port through T-Mobile I receive notice that the port had failed.  After speaking to a tech for a while they said the problem was that I was porting a number from Uverse and that I should have the number converted to a "stand alone" number first and then retry the port request.

After speaking AT&T about this, they said that indeed this was the proper solution, BUT it may still not work.  My number was originally a normal landline, then ported to Uverse -- it had never been a mobile number.  According to and AT&T tech, sometimes those types of numbers just won't port.  She said that if I wanted to conver the Uverse number to a stand-alone number it could take up to 30 days since there is no automated system for doing that and it's "more of a process."  And that even then, the port request may still fail due to my number never having been a mobile number (???).  For now I have decided to rethink my strategy.  Perhaps it's easier to notify every business and organization I deal with of a new phone number rather than try to save my old phone number by porting it away from AT&T.  (some sarcasm intended)

Does this make sense to anyone else out there?  Anyone with knowledge care to comment on other options?  I did as the tech for other options, but she said that this was the only way.

Thanks,

Tony

I wanted to port my number away from Uverse to T-Mobile.  Unfortunately, after requesting the port through T-Mobile I receive notice that the port had failed.  After speaking to a tech for a while they said the problem was that I was porting a number from Uverse and that I should have the number converted to a "stand alone" number first and then retry the port request.

After speaking AT&T about this, they said that indeed this was the proper solution, BUT it may still not work.  My number was originally a normal landline, then ported to Uverse -- it had never been a mobile number.  According to and AT&T tech, sometimes those types of numbers just won't port.  She said that if I wanted to conver the Uverse number to a stand-alone number it could take up to 30 days since there is no automated system for doing that and it's "more of a process."  And that even then, the port request may still fail due to my number never having been a mobile number (???).  For now I have decided to rethink my strategy.  Perhaps it's easier to notify every business and organization I deal with of a new phone number rather than try to save my old phone number by porting it away from AT&T.  (some sarcasm intended)

Does this make sense to anyone else out there?  Anyone with knowledge care to comment on other options?  I did as the tech for other options, but she said that this was the only way.

Thanks,

Tony

Not able to port some Uverse numbers away from AT&T?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 10:30:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tonywhite68 I am afraid the telephone competition/number portability situation is an early version of the health care law - incomprehensible. The rules, the rules.
If you get by the rules you may have a technology speed bump. Some locations may be tied to old routing equipment & not be able handle any number.
You are probably hearing a worst case scenario. But, if you happen to fall in the one percent of a 99 to one odds. The odds might as well be 100 percent against you.
Sorry to be so negative. We live in a very complicated world.
tonywhite68 I am afraid the telephone competition/number portability situation is an early version of the health care law - incomprehensible. The rules, the rules.
If you get by the rules you may have a technology speed bump. Some locations may be tied to old routing equipment & not be able handle any number.
You are probably hearing a worst case scenario. But, if you happen to fall in the one percent of a 99 to one odds. The odds might as well be 100 percent against you.
Sorry to be so negative. We live in a very complicated world.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Not able to port some Uverse numbers away from AT&T?

2 of 3 (311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 10:33:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here is a link to the T Mobile site that allows you to check any number for portability: http://www.t-mobile.com/switch/

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Here is a link to the T Mobile site that allows you to check any number for portability: http://www.t-mobile.com/switch/

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Not able to port some Uverse numbers away from AT&T?

3 of 3 (311 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments