Not Receiving Uverse Wireless Internet I'm Paying For

Tutor

Not Receiving Uverse Wireless Internet I'm Paying For

[ Edited ]

Since May 2012, I've been charged for Internet Max 12Mbps (for awhile at a discounted rate) even though my service has rarely been above even 3Mbps and ofter below 1.5Mbps.  Until I moved in my girlfriend thought that's what broadband was like because she'd been used to dial up connections.  So since May 2013 I've been calling tech support (53 calls totalling 631 minutes) trying to get the service we pay for.  Three different people have promised to solve the problem or make it right... and we've never heard from them again.  The "Escalation" department told me that we could only be credited if a technician was actually dispatched, so it would be more than generous if we received a credit for 7 days of service -- a whole day for every technician visit, even though they would be here a much shorter time!  And that the 53 calls or the numberous times phone support reset/rebooted modem to get it working again didn't count for squat.  I figure that we've been overcharged about $26 a month for 16 months. 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 1 of 9 (1,018 Views)
Tutor

Re: Not Receiving Uverse Wireless Internet I'm Paying For

And the thought police have already edited out part of my post. Way more important than helping to resolve this frustrating issue.
Message 2 of 9 (1,012 Views)
ACE - Guru

How are you measuring the speed to know what speed you are getting?

You need to test  with a wired contection not wireless.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (1,008 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Testing with Speedtest.net.  Not normally having a problem with wired connections, but not interested in standing in my spare room and hooking up an ethernet cable to my laptop so I can access the internet.  The wireless connection is what needs to work or I might as well go back to dial-up service....

Message 4 of 9 (972 Views)
ACE - Guru

Ok look at this post here and this should help you with your wireless Internet.

ATT is only responsible to get the speed you are paying for on a wired connection so read through the post that Somejoe777 put together it has helped many and should help you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9 (946 Views)

Jeffster is correct, if you are getting the speeds you are paying for wired then you are getting the correct service.  Now AT&T will work with you to get the best possible wireless speeds but those speeds aren't guaranteed.  I've been getting my speeds (or close to them) wireless since I got UVerse.  If you have UVerse TV the number of streams you are watching/recording can and will slow your internet speeds down.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 6 of 9 (907 Views)
Tutor

Yes AT&T is always quick to say the reason your wireless isn't working is because you're watching tv.  As if people who subscribe don't want to be able to use the internet and watch tv at the same time.  As it happens, I have always tested my wifi speed with both tvs turned completely off (the dvr and wireless box, not just the tvs themselves).  I've heard the bull about not guaranteeing the wireless speed, but really who has all their laptops and phones hooked up to wired connections?  Never had any problem with AT&T DSL not being able to obtain a decent wifi signal.  And if they couldn't provide a wifi signal they could have just said so in May and we'd have sought out another internet service provider.  It's simply not accepatable to continue to be charged for a service we continue to not receive.  Either charge us for the service that is actually being provided, or provide the service I'm paying for.

Jeff

Message 7 of 9 (896 Views)
Expert

RedJeff53 wrote:

Yes AT&T is always quick to say the reason your wireless isn't working is because you're watching tv.  

If you are getting different speed results with wired versus wireless connections, it has nothing to with with watching TV.  The issue is with your wireless connection.  It may likely be wireless interference.  See the thread below.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003

Message 8 of 9 (894 Views)

RedJeff53 wrote:

Yes AT&T is always quick to say the reason your wireless isn't working is because you're watching tv.  As if people who subscribe don't want to be able to use the internet and watch tv at the same time.  As it happens, I have always tested my wifi speed with both tvs turned completely off (the dvr and wireless box, not just the tvs themselves).  I've heard the bull about not guaranteeing the wireless speed, but really who has all their laptops and phones hooked up to wired connections?  Never had any problem with AT&T DSL not being able to obtain a decent wifi signal.  And if they couldn't provide a wifi signal they could have just said so in May and we'd have sought out another internet service provider.  It's simply not accepatable to continue to be charged for a service we continue to not receive.  Either charge us for the service that is actually being provided, or provide the service I'm paying for.

Jeff

If you are getting the speeds you are paying for wired, then they are charging your correctly.  Follow the steps in the link that TexasGuy has provided for wireless interference.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 9 (871 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.