Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 1, 2014
12:58:56 AM
No one has a clue

Before I even get to my real issue, you may be interested to know that the following words are blocked from from my user name choice: ineptitude,frustrated,fed up.....that should tell you something.

I recently spent the obligatory half an hour on the phone trying to arrange for disconnection of the Uverse service at my daughter's house. Of course, the operator's accent was hard to understand. Eventually, we reached the point of discussing the process for returning the modem. He said he could not send me a return label unless I could give him the serial number on the modem. I told him I did not have the modem because it was at my daughter's house and she was not there. I asked if he could look it up on his computer and he said no. Eventually he said that I did not need the label and could return the modem to an AT&T retail store. I tried to do this today, only to be curtly informed that "we don't do this, you will have to take it to UPS and they will handle it for you". Went to UPS and they said they did not handle this and that I needed the return label! Went back to the ATT store and spoke to the manager, who was polite but not helpful in solving my problem.

So now I have to call India again, wait for the label to arrive and will no doubt have to call Uverse again to deal with what is bound to be an incorrect bill. I am so glad that "beyond belief" was available as my user name, because I think it describes my current situation perfectly. 

Before I even get to my real issue, you may be interested to know that the following words are blocked from from my user name choice: ineptitude,frustrated,fed up.....that should tell you something.

I recently spent the obligatory half an hour on the phone trying to arrange for disconnection of the Uverse service at my daughter's house. Of course, the operator's accent was hard to understand. Eventually, we reached the point of discussing the process for returning the modem. He said he could not send me a return label unless I could give him the serial number on the modem. I told him I did not have the modem because it was at my daughter's house and she was not there. I asked if he could look it up on his computer and he said no. Eventually he said that I did not need the label and could return the modem to an AT&T retail store. I tried to do this today, only to be curtly informed that "we don't do this, you will have to take it to UPS and they will handle it for you". Went to UPS and they said they did not handle this and that I needed the return label! Went back to the ATT store and spoke to the manager, who was polite but not helpful in solving my problem.

So now I have to call India again, wait for the label to arrive and will no doubt have to call Uverse again to deal with what is bound to be an incorrect bill. I am so glad that "beyond belief" was available as my user name, because I think it describes my current situation perfectly. 

No one has a clue

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 4:05:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand your frustration.  I NEVER call during 'off hours'.  Try calling during regular business hours (9a-4p M-F).  You have a much better chance of getting a CSR in this country.  If you don't, hang up and call again.

Now the bad news:  Yes, you need a label.  No, you cannot return equipment to an ATT store. Did you have your daughter's acct. number/info?  I'm not sure about the serial number requirement but that does not sound unreasonable.

When you do manage to cancel the account, you have 21 days to return the modem via UPS.

I understand your frustration.  I NEVER call during 'off hours'.  Try calling during regular business hours (9a-4p M-F).  You have a much better chance of getting a CSR in this country.  If you don't, hang up and call again.

Now the bad news:  Yes, you need a label.  No, you cannot return equipment to an ATT store. Did you have your daughter's acct. number/info?  I'm not sure about the serial number requirement but that does not sound unreasonable.

When you do manage to cancel the account, you have 21 days to return the modem via UPS.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No one has a clue

2 of 5 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:06:34 PM
(0)
Observer
Thanks....i used the chat function today...took about an hour, working with someone who kept contradicting himself...and did not know the difference between USPS and UPS. finally got return label via email.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks....i used the chat function today...took about an hour, working with someone who kept contradicting himself...and did not know the difference between USPS and UPS. finally got return label via email.

Sent from my iPhone

3 of 5 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:54:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

I feel your pain... I just joined U-verse because I was tired of my old provider dropping the ball and so had the painful task of dropping my old provider. My name gives a clue who that was.

The point being what should be a 30 second call tops, turned into a 20 minute sales pitch to get me to please, please, reconsider. You think he would tell me the street adressed where I could return the old cable box, modem? No and I asked at least 6 times, before I had enough and was ready to curse the bozo out, he finally told me then rudely hung up.

Breaking up with your old cable/Internet/phone provider can be harder than breaking up with a old girl friend or getting divorced. LOL!

I feel your pain... I just joined U-verse because I was tired of my old provider dropping the ball and so had the painful task of dropping my old provider. My name gives a clue who that was.

The point being what should be a 30 second call tops, turned into a 20 minute sales pitch to get me to please, please, reconsider. You think he would tell me the street adressed where I could return the old cable box, modem? No and I asked at least 6 times, before I had enough and was ready to curse the bozo out, he finally told me then rudely hung up.

Breaking up with your old cable/Internet/phone provider can be harder than breaking up with a old girl friend or getting divorced. LOL!

4 of 5 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 12:23:02 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, billyx-wow!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty cancelling your service. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns! Once again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, billyx-wow!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty cancelling your service. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns! Once again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (161 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments