No dial tone

Contributor

No dial tone

I've had Uverse Phone for a number of years without ever having a problem.

On 12/12/13, my phone just went dead. No dial tone at all.

I can hook up a simple corded phone to the gateway and get a dial tone now. But when I hook the phone lines back up the way they were, nothing.

I have a two-line phone in my home office. The other line is a business line (non-Uverse) and seems to be working just fine. I noticed, though, that on my two line phone, it is showing the Uverse line as "in Use" even though I've unplugged all of the other phones in my house.

What could the problem be?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Master

Re: No dial tone

It sounds like the line is either shorted because of bad, cabling, jacks, etc.  You mention you unplugged all devices from that line.  Do you by chance have a fax machine on that line that may have not gotten unplugged?  Alarm system?  Something along those lines?

Also, when you unplugged all devices from that line, did you unplug the cord from each jack at the wall or left the cord and unplugged it from the phone?  Could be a bad cord if you did the latter. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

tschutz1 - If it works at the RG with the same wire you use to connect it to the house wiring, the problem is in that house wiring. No dial tone sounds like an open connection (i.e. no connection). The in use lite could indicate a short which times out dial tone. The circuit rides on the two middle pins on the jack, wires are usually red/green. If all plugs have been removed, remove the face plates & look for loose wires. After that, you would have to look for bad connections in more hidden areas. Also, the house wiring should not be connected back to the NID. If this connection is there it is connected to outside wire, where something may have changed to cause the short.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Employee

Both BeeBeeSA and aviewer offer excellent suggestions, if cannot or desire not to tackle wiring issue recommend calling 800-288-2020 or chat to schedule tech visit. Please note this is a $99 service call unless have wire maintenance plan (monthly plan you pay extra for each month, insurance).

While not believe gateway to be bad based on your direct test, it is possible the voltage being sent from RG is low, but strongly agree likely cause is house wiring.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

No fax machine. No alarm system. No other devices.

I unplugged the devices from the wall jack.

I had a cordless phone system attached to the jack in my kitchen. We recently threw those out and got a simple corded phone as the cordless handsets were giving us problems. But we plugged the new phone in and it worked fine. That was maybe three weeks, ago. The line down in my office (the only other jack we had anything plugged into) hasn't been fiddled with in years.

I took a look at both jacks by undoing the plates and making sure wires were connected. I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to look like, but there was nothing loose on either of them. How do they work one day and go kaput the next?

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

tschutz1 - The thing is anything can happen & looking at two faceplates is just the beginning, The problem could be anywhere along the wire. Especially if it is a short. It you want to find out which it is, you need a continuity tester. This is a power source and a light or meter or buzzer. You can buy one cheap or rig one with a flashlight. Just be sure to use battery for power (no 110). Connect the battery to the bulb through the red green wires. If the light lites you have a short somewhere, possibly even outside.

I once saw this problem caused because the tel wire was run behind the kitchen cabinets close enough to contact the flatware drawer. Opening and closing the drawer finally wore out the insulation on the cable & caused a short.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support