Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 5, 2014
2:35:05 PM
No Dial Tone

I only have two phone jacks in my house, one in the kitchen and one in the family room. The problem is with the one in the kitchen. When I plug a phone into the jack, there is no dial tone. When I plug the phone directly into the phone spot in the back of the RG, there is a dial tone and everything is fine. So the problem is with the wiring to the phone jack in the kitchen. Here is my current setup:

The line from the NID on the outside of the house comes in through the basment. From there the green and white pair from the NID line is connected to the green and white pair from the line running to the jack located in the family room. The blue and white pair from the line in the family room is connected to the red and green wires on the line that runs into the alarm box for home monitoring. In the family room, the cord from the RG is plugged into the phone jack in the wall. The alarm is being monitored and works fine.

Orginally the tech hooked up the phone jack in the kitchen using the blue and white pair from that line and connecting it to the yellow and black wires on the line from the alarm box. With that, there was no dial tone.

Above is a picture of how things are hooked up currently.

The white line is the line from the NID. The blue line wrapped with the white line is the line running to the jack in the family room. The blue line on the right is the line running to the jack in the kitchen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I only have two phone jacks in my house, one in the kitchen and one in the family room. The problem is with the one in the kitchen. When I plug a phone into the jack, there is no dial tone. When I plug the phone directly into the phone spot in the back of the RG, there is a dial tone and everything is fine. So the problem is with the wiring to the phone jack in the kitchen. Here is my current setup:

The line from the NID on the outside of the house comes in through the basment. From there the green and white pair from the NID line is connected to the green and white pair from the line running to the jack located in the family room. The blue and white pair from the line in the family room is connected to the red and green wires on the line that runs into the alarm box for home monitoring. In the family room, the cord from the RG is plugged into the phone jack in the wall. The alarm is being monitored and works fine.

Orginally the tech hooked up the phone jack in the kitchen using the blue and white pair from that line and connecting it to the yellow and black wires on the line from the alarm box. With that, there was no dial tone.

Above is a picture of how things are hooked up currently.

The white line is the line from the NID. The blue line wrapped with the white line is the line running to the jack in the family room. The blue line on the right is the line running to the jack in the kitchen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

No Dial Tone

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 4:02:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jacquelyn1442 - It is rally hard to figure this out without being there, but there are three big opportunities -

The alarm has two sides -
1) out to dial tone & in to the rest of the house so that it can have access to the dial tone & cut off the rest of the phones. When you switch from POTS the dial tone source changes from outside connection to the RG.
2) Are the yellow/black wires on the alarm or a wall jack?? Usually the first & only line is on the red/green. If you attaching to yellow/black on the alarm it may be going nowhere.
3) As you say, the dial tone is on the jack of the RG. To get that dial tone to the alarm and the rest of the jacks it must be connected to the wall. So, is the wall connection you describe the one that feeds the RG or the one that connects the dial tone or both (since there are two pairs it can do both, but it requires careful wiring at both ends).

If I were there I would start with the dial tone at the RG & trace it to every necessary location.
At the RG on the two center prongs
to the wall jack on two center prongs (red/green) (if you have two cables to the RG) or special wired (using one cable) to the outer prongs Yellow/black if the RG is fed by the center prongs.
To house wiring - multipled
to alarm input through alarm output
to other jacks center prongs (red/green)
The colors only have meaning at the wall jacks. The long wires can be anything as long as they are the same at both ends.
Jacquelyn1442 - It is rally hard to figure this out without being there, but there are three big opportunities -

The alarm has two sides -
1) out to dial tone & in to the rest of the house so that it can have access to the dial tone & cut off the rest of the phones. When you switch from POTS the dial tone source changes from outside connection to the RG.
2) Are the yellow/black wires on the alarm or a wall jack?? Usually the first & only line is on the red/green. If you attaching to yellow/black on the alarm it may be going nowhere.
3) As you say, the dial tone is on the jack of the RG. To get that dial tone to the alarm and the rest of the jacks it must be connected to the wall. So, is the wall connection you describe the one that feeds the RG or the one that connects the dial tone or both (since there are two pairs it can do both, but it requires careful wiring at both ends).

If I were there I would start with the dial tone at the RG & trace it to every necessary location.
At the RG on the two center prongs
to the wall jack on two center prongs (red/green) (if you have two cables to the RG) or special wired (using one cable) to the outer prongs Yellow/black if the RG is fed by the center prongs.
To house wiring - multipled
to alarm input through alarm output
to other jacks center prongs (red/green)
The colors only have meaning at the wall jacks. The long wires can be anything as long as they are the same at both ends.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No Dial Tone

2 of 8 (540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 5:04:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

The yellow/black wires are coming from the alarm, not the wall jack.

The wall jack in the family room has two jacks, one being where the data line comes in from outside. The RG is plugged into that jack for the data cable.

So I am wondering if I just need to hook up the blue and white pair on the line running to the kitchen to a pair on the line running for the wall jack? Would this bring the dial tone over for the wall jack in the kitchen?

On the alarm side, when the tech from AT&T hooked up the alarm, he hooked the red and green wires from the alarm line to the blue and white pair on the line for the jack in the family room. Then hooked the yellow and black wires to the blue and white pair on the line running to the kitchen jack. But those were the only wires on the kitchen line hooked up so it seemed that there would be no dial tone with it hooked that way.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks

The yellow/black wires are coming from the alarm, not the wall jack.

The wall jack in the family room has two jacks, one being where the data line comes in from outside. The RG is plugged into that jack for the data cable.

So I am wondering if I just need to hook up the blue and white pair on the line running to the kitchen to a pair on the line running for the wall jack? Would this bring the dial tone over for the wall jack in the kitchen?

On the alarm side, when the tech from AT&T hooked up the alarm, he hooked the red and green wires from the alarm line to the blue and white pair on the line for the jack in the family room. Then hooked the yellow and black wires to the blue and white pair on the line running to the kitchen jack. But those were the only wires on the kitchen line hooked up so it seemed that there would be no dial tone with it hooked that way.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks

3 of 8 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 5:32:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jacquelyn1442 - You did say that the alarms is working & it sounds lke it is connected correctly. Are the only wires coming from the alarm the red/green and the black/yellow?? Then the black/yellow may be intended to connect to the rest of the house. Can you see if there is dial tone on the black/yellow?? Maybe post the alarm model & I will see if there is a manul to say how it works.

If the bue/white is connected to the Red/green on the kitchen jack, you could try connecting it to the black/yellow on the alarm. It will either work or not.
Jacquelyn1442 - You did say that the alarms is working & it sounds lke it is connected correctly. Are the only wires coming from the alarm the red/green and the black/yellow?? Then the black/yellow may be intended to connect to the rest of the house. Can you see if there is dial tone on the black/yellow?? Maybe post the alarm model & I will see if there is a manul to say how it works.

If the bue/white is connected to the Red/green on the kitchen jack, you could try connecting it to the black/yellow on the alarm. It will either work or not.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 5:48:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

That is how the tech hooked it up. On the wall jack in the kitchen, the blue and white pair is hooked to the red and green. The blue and white on the line at the other end was hooked to the yellow and black on the line running to the alarm. There was no dial tone when it was hooked this way.

And yes it is only red, green, yellow, and black coming from the alarm wire.

Thanks

That is how the tech hooked it up. On the wall jack in the kitchen, the blue and white pair is hooked to the red and green. The blue and white on the line at the other end was hooked to the yellow and black on the line running to the alarm. There was no dial tone when it was hooked this way.

And yes it is only red, green, yellow, and black coming from the alarm wire.

Thanks

5 of 8 (526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 6:00:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jacquelyn1442 - Then the two possibilities are =

1) The alarm does not work that way.
2) the alarm is stuck in the triggered position - cutting off the rest of the house.

You can move the blue/ white from the yellow/black to the red green temporarily. If you get dial tone in the kitchen, the problem is in the alarm & you will need to delve into the details of the alarm.

Is the kitchen the only phone?? If not the other phones probably should be on the kitchen side of the alarm.
Jacquelyn1442 - Then the two possibilities are =

1) The alarm does not work that way.
2) the alarm is stuck in the triggered position - cutting off the rest of the house.

You can move the blue/ white from the yellow/black to the red green temporarily. If you get dial tone in the kitchen, the problem is in the alarm & you will need to delve into the details of the alarm.

Is the kitchen the only phone?? If not the other phones probably should be on the kitchen side of the alarm.

6 of 8 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 6:24:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

As you pointed out, the alarm may be the issue. And theres no way that I could just hook up the kitchen line to the line running from the family room directly correct? Use a pair from the line running from the family room jack and connect it with the blue and white wires from the line running to the kitchen?

I dont have a lineman phone so i can't see if theres a dial tone running from the black and yellow wires.

There are connectors on the green/red and blue/white wires for the alarm and family room lines.

I just don't want to pay the $99 service call for AT&T to come out and figure out whats going on.

Thanks

As you pointed out, the alarm may be the issue. And theres no way that I could just hook up the kitchen line to the line running from the family room directly correct? Use a pair from the line running from the family room jack and connect it with the blue and white wires from the line running to the kitchen?

I dont have a lineman phone so i can't see if theres a dial tone running from the black and yellow wires.

There are connectors on the green/red and blue/white wires for the alarm and family room lines.

I just don't want to pay the $99 service call for AT&T to come out and figure out whats going on.

Thanks

7 of 8 (516 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 6:40:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jacquelyn1442 - You may connect any wire from a known source of dial tone to the red/green of the jack in the Kitchen. The problem is an off-hook on the phone may block the alarm from dialing out, If the phone is on-hook it will not interfere.

I do not have a lineman phone either. I connect a wall jack & plug the phone in to it. Which is essentially what I suggested by connecting the blue/white from the kitchen phone to the red/green on the alarm.

To connect wires they need to be cut & the outer insulation stripped off & twisted together or placed under a screwdown on a wall jack.

How about the model for the alarm & I will google for a manual.
Jacquelyn1442 - You may connect any wire from a known source of dial tone to the red/green of the jack in the Kitchen. The problem is an off-hook on the phone may block the alarm from dialing out, If the phone is on-hook it will not interfere.

I do not have a lineman phone either. I connect a wall jack & plug the phone in to it. Which is essentially what I suggested by connecting the blue/white from the kitchen phone to the red/green on the alarm.

To connect wires they need to be cut & the outer insulation stripped off & twisted together or placed under a screwdown on a wall jack.

How about the model for the alarm & I will google for a manual.

8 of 8 (513 Views)