No ABC, CBS or NBC On Demand Channels

Tutor

No ABC, CBS or NBC On Demand Channels

I am VERY surprised that the three major networks (ABC, CBS & NBC) are not available On Demand with U-Verse.  That is a major thing that our family uses and we had them with Time Warner Cable.  Are you going to get them very soon??  If not, why don't/won't have them.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 34 (17,385 Views)
Expert

Re: No ABC, CBS or NBC On Demand Channels

CBS On Demand is available in those markets where the local affiliate is owned and operated by CBS.  No markets have ABC or NBC On Demand.  

If you have the U200 and above package, a DVR is provided which can be used to setup series recordings for those programs that you want to watch.

Message 2 of 34 (17,293 Views)
Tutor

Well, our local must be CBS owned because I did get NCIS, NCIS LA and other CBS shows On Demand in Raleigh with Time Warner last week before I switched over to AT&T.  If what you say is the case, then AT&T should have CBS On Demand as well, no?

Message 3 of 34 (17,286 Views)
Expert

No, the requirement for the CBS affiliate to be owned and operated by CBS is a U-verse requirement not a universal requirement.  The Raleigh CBS affiliate in not an O&O CBS station.  The CBS O&O stations are shown below.

CBS Owned-and-Operated Stations:

• California - Los Angeles KCBS

• California - San Francisco KPIX

• California - Sacramento KOVR

• Colorado - Denver KCNC

• Florida - Miami WFOR

• Illinois - Chicago WBBM

• Maryland - Baltimore WJZ

• Massachusetts - Boston WBZ

• Michigan - Detroit WWJ

• Minnesota - Minneapolis WCCO

• New York - New York WCBS

• Pennsylvania - Philadelphia KYW

• Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh KDKA

• Texas - Dallas KTVT

Message 4 of 34 (17,277 Views)
Tutor

That doesn't change the FACT that I DID get NCIS, NCIS LA and other CBS show on Primetime On Demand with Time Warner.   That is not a SATISFACTORY answer to my question!!  Got another one??

Message 5 of 34 (17,271 Views)
Employee

You would have to take that up with TWC they must have decided to contract with CBS for the service and Uverse has not.   Maybe someone that knows how TWC gets the ON Demand feed will post.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 34 (17,263 Views)
Expert

JaneRives wrote:

That doesn't change the FACT that I DID get NCIS, NCIS LA and other CBS show on Primetime On Demand with Time Warner.   That is not a SATISFACTORY answer to my question!!  Got another one??

I am an U-verse customer just as you are.  I am providing you with information on what network on demand programming is available with U-verse.  Beyond what I have told you, I know nothing else.  If you want a "SATISFACTORY answer", you can contact AT&T.

Message 7 of 34 (17,259 Views)
Guru

/begin rant

You have a significantly more-advanced DVR than what you can get with Time Warner, and yet, somehow, you CAN'T use your DVR to record the network shows to overcome AT&T's limitations of not having the shows on VOD??? The broadcast networks are pretty much the ONLY programmers that don't rerun their nightly schedule sometime later in the evening/overnight, so if you're a diehard fan, I'd think you could watch/record your broadcast shows when broadcast and record whatever else at a later time when your streams are free.

I just DON'T buy this hostile attack on AT&T when they give you a STB that is miles ahead of what Time Warner can offer, and you seemingly don't truly know how to use it, yet SOMEHOW it's their fault, just because they don't offer "The Biggest Loser" on VOD. You could, realistically, watch AND record your NBC/ABC/FOX programs for the WHOLE EVENING (if they're that important) and catch any "cable" programmers' shows 3 or 4 hours later on that same DVR, with the only exception being live sport events.

AND, just so you know, when Comcast finally got access to ABC and FOX shows for VOD, not all of them were actually cleared for VOD broadcast. Plus there was the additional stipulation that fast-forwarding was purposely disabled in order for Comcast to put them on their VOD servers (no avoiding the ads on the viewers' end). Think CBS and NBC won't be doing the same? So, in effect, the ONLY difference between you watching a program live vs. on VOD is your own time factor. You'll still be forced to see all of the ads, the promo bumpers, EVERY time you want to watch that show. And what if the network decides to not make a certain series available on VOD? Or they decide to hold-back an episode for an additional week -- A&E was doing just that with "The Glades": The SD-version of the newest episode was on VOD the day after broadcast, but the HD-version wasn't available for an extra week. What about the current 24-hour delay? Compare that to a DVR user -- no ads, can save it for however long they want (remember that VOD offerings expire), AND no limitations based on when the network wants to clear the show, or IF. That DVR user can start watching something just broadcast within minutes. YOU, however, are beholden to whenever it shows up on VOD.

I don't mean to sound rough, but this major "problem" has plenty of workarounds available to you, and it seems you don't want to find them. When you get lemons, you can either make lemonade or complain that you got lemons. Which one is going to be more productive, in the long run? If you were so satisfied with Time Warner, why are you here?

/end rant

Message 8 of 34 (17,242 Views)
Tutor

I don't need to take it up with TWC as I have moved over to AT&T.

I am more interested in getting AT&T to be able to provide these very popular shows On Demand and since they do not, who would I be referred to and try to find out why AT&T won't or can't provide them and make the suggestion that they get them.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 34 (17,177 Views)
Tutor

I am pretty sure that the "powers that be" at AT&T would be very disappointed at the tremendous lack of professionalism shown in your "ranting" response to my sincere question as a new AT&T customer....

Message 10 of 34 (17,169 Views)
ACE - Professor

JaneRives wrote:

I am pretty sure that the "powers that be" at AT&T would be very disappointed at the tremendous lack of professionalism shown in your "ranting" response to my sincere question as a new AT&T customer....

Jbdet313 is a U-Verse customer as are all of us on this peer-to-peer forum. If he was an employee of AT&T, he would have to identify himself as one.

As long as Jbet313 posts (rants) within the guidelines, he has the right to say whatever he wishes to convey, in whatever manner he wishes to convey his message.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 34 (15,898 Views)

JaneRives wrote:

We are all UVerse customers/users as you are.  There are a few AT&T employees that do monitor and ocassionaly post in these forums, but they are clearly marked as such.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 12 of 34 (15,881 Views)
Scholar

Jane -

Your question is perfectly normal. The short answer is that UVerse does not have the same on-demand offerings as Time Warner or Comcast. While normally, I would mention that people should research the offerings of the various providers before making a decision, information about what is or is not available on-demand is not easy to come by. Without checking, it is easy to assume a competitive on demand offering.

If On-Demand is your thing, you are best served with another provider if one is available. Conversely, if a much larger DVR, the NFL Network/NFL Redzone, more channels in HD and most importantly, Total Home DVR are your thing, you are best served with UVerse and taking advantage of the 80 hours of HD DVR space (Time Warner has around 20 in Columbus) to record the shows you would have otherwise watched on demand.

I wish there was one service that had it all, but there isn't. You have to decide what is most important to you.

As far as the rant, I'm mystified by this. If someone wants to use On-Demand as a substitute for DVR, what is wrong with that approach. Indeed, if you have Time Warner, I would argue that because of the teeny-tiny DVR size, it is the only workable strategy.

Jane - I hope this helps.

Message 13 of 34 (15,863 Views)
Guru

Allow me to explain and elaborate on some points. Didn't necessarily mean to rant ... well, you'll see why:

First, Jane and others, I too am a new Uverse customer. I've had somewhat of a learning curve to overcome in this new adventure as well. Maybe I'm a little ahead of most people in the cable/satellite-to-IPTV transition because of learning and understanding the differences before jumping into this new pond. But in some things, I'm just like any new customer.

AT&T has itself to blame for a lot of the problems/frustrations of its customers, simply because they don't do enough educating about the differences between IPTV (Uverse) and cable/satellite. They don't focus enough on what you will see beyond billing differences, channels, and having a shiny smaller DVR next to your TV. IPTV is, in certain ways, completely different than cable, and AT&T needs to address those honestly.

The rant developed partially from this. Had AT&T told you, up front, that your specific VOD needs weren't going to be met, why they're limited so, and how you can overcome this difference with their technology, would you be here looking for answers? Probably not. You're not alone in this, Jane. From your problems to others who don't understand the whole "stream" business and why they're limited, how it is actually that you can change channels almost instantly, why all local PEG access isn't provided, why there's no "Local on the 8s" -- all of these potential "problem" areas for customers could be avoided if AT&T just spelled everything out, in easy-enough to understand terms. Yet there are repeated posts upon posts at lots of different forums dealing with these issues and customers who've been left in the dark, or on their own to figure these things out. Just in these forums, look at the number of repeated threads started or continued over the "Local on the 8s" problem. For fun, why not Google for an "official", non-forum-based AT&T reply, including reasoning, as to why they don't offer this. Taking a wild guess, I'd say there *may* be one floating around in internetland, possibly YEARS old -- but you'd have to go and find it. Why doesn't AT&T prominently just tell people the truth? Well, it supposedly'd be too complicated for customers to understand, and from a marketing standpoint blah blah blah ... BUT they're more than happy to go through the expense of installing a customer, let them find out for themselves, get irritated, cancel, and lose that customer altogether. All that expense over something that could avoid it by telling the customer the truth right up front.

Back to the VOD issue. The way I see VOD today is a nice addition, but nothing to be too excited about anymore. It's really the closest thing to having DVR, if you're a "basic" or "digital" cable customer who doesn't want to pay an additional $15-$20 a month for having one. Once I got mine from Comcast, I hardly ever used VOD, except on the odd occasion where I completely missed a movie or series (like how AMC's "Mad Men" became a gradual hit, when I caught-up because I dismissed it at the beginning). Or because I wanted DVR convenience (bypass the ads or "there's nothing on I feel like watching") where I couldn't actually use my DVR. You don't have those limitations with the Uverse THDVR, so it helps to make-up for less VOD programs. It takes a little while to get used to, but with proper scheduling, the Uverse THDVR could actually replace your reliance on VOD, at least for your favorite shows.

Remember also that the US broadcast networks have been the last guests to the VOD party. They asserted for years that VOD was not something they wanted to do, for fear of lost audience. After all, they'd already been in free-fall because OF those nasty cable networks "stealing" their customers' eyeballs, whether in realtime viewing or via DVR. And now they're attempting to stave off their competition by promising advertisers they'll be seen, whatever way they have to do it, with the only holdouts (for now) being those who selfishly use some type of DVR.

Give it some time, Jane, and attempt to adapt to the Uverse experience. AT&T is only beginning to harness all of their possibilities with this technology. Someday they'll probably carry everything that you want on VOD, but remember that they have to negotiate just like everyone else (and a lot of times with the same companies they're taking customers away from). Cable companies used to tout how much satellite couldn't do what they did, provide as many customers to programmers as they did, couldn't do VOD like they did. Those arguments have fallen. Today's differences between Uverse and the others will disappear as well. The cable companies still haven't invested in THDVR, and they've been the biggest customers of Motorola and Scientific Atlanta for all these years. The cable companies don't have true interactivity with the internet on their TV STBs. The cable companies here are just NOW embracing true "digital" technology to deliver TV, and HDTV, efficiently and in high quality to their customers.

There are plenty of examples of how the cable companies don't measure up to Uverse, and they've had every opportunity to explore and implement them before Uverse (or Verizon's FiOS) came on the scene, but chose not to. Now they've got competition, and all they can point to is their OWN "old" technology. Uverse is already ahead of the curve and has a lot of possibilities. It's the cable companies who will need to catch up.

Message 14 of 34 (15,850 Views)
Tutor

Here is the thing. VOD comes in very handy if the DVR screws up or as we are human record the wrong channel in error. So if you schedule a show to record on DVR and recorded the wrong show then how can you see the show you missed without having to go online and watch it  on the computer. That was a nice feature that TWC has.

Message 15 of 34 (15,797 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.