Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 28, 2011
8:19:02 AM
View profile
Nintendo 3DS Wireless Problem

I just bought a Nintendo 3DS but can't connect to my wifi. I have several laptops that connect fine and I can connect the 3DS to wifi at my friend's house who has comcast. The 3DS sees the 2Wire but when I enter the security key it says "connection test failed". Is there somthing special I need to do for ATT?

I just bought a Nintendo 3DS but can't connect to my wifi. I have several laptops that connect fine and I can connect the 3DS to wifi at my friend's house who has comcast. The 3DS sees the 2Wire but when I enter the security key it says "connection test failed". Is there somthing special I need to do for ATT?

Nintendo 3DS Wireless Problem

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2011 10:37:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Any answers?  I am having the same problem.  

Any answers?  I am having the same problem.  

Re: Nintendo 3DS Wireless Problem

2 of 9 (5,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2011 5:57:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

same problem with mine.  Are there any answers???

same problem with mine.  Are there any answers???

3 of 9 (4,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2011 1:43:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know if it's related but I had a similar problem with my DS lite when I was trying to download weekly puzzles.  I searched around the Nintendo forums for answers and from what I could figure out, the problem was the with the wireless connection settings.  I have mine set at WPA2-PSK which seemed to make it hard to get through.  The advice was to change/lower (?) the security settings to WPA-PSK and I didn't want to.

So, the issue may have something to do with your PC security settings not allowing you to connect to the Nintendo site.

I'm no gamer geek, but it's just a thought based on my experience.  Hope it's of some help.

I don't know if it's related but I had a similar problem with my DS lite when I was trying to download weekly puzzles.  I searched around the Nintendo forums for answers and from what I could figure out, the problem was the with the wireless connection settings.  I have mine set at WPA2-PSK which seemed to make it hard to get through.  The advice was to change/lower (?) the security settings to WPA-PSK and I didn't want to.

So, the issue may have something to do with your PC security settings not allowing you to connect to the Nintendo site.

I'm no gamer geek, but it's just a thought based on my experience.  Hope it's of some help.

4 of 9 (4,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 11:05:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

IIRC, the Nintendo DS devices cannot use WPA, they can only use WEP.  WEP is a less secure protocol and Nintendo really should fix this.

IIRC, the Nintendo DS devices cannot use WPA, they can only use WEP.  WEP is a less secure protocol and Nintendo really should fix this.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (4,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:22:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

So essentially, you're saying that Nintendo consoles are, for the majority, uncompatable with your company's internet?

I understand what you mean when you say "less" secure and that it's important for customers to have the best possible expiriance with your company's product, but here you have several people who have restricted access to something they want to do because your company refuses to allow it access. Has your company tried making light of this situation to the Nintendo company so that one or both of you may attempt to solve the problem? AT&T receives payment from its consumers in return for providing quality service. Your refusal to allow simple access to a WEP is poor service. 

So essentially, you're saying that Nintendo consoles are, for the majority, uncompatable with your company's internet?

I understand what you mean when you say "less" secure and that it's important for customers to have the best possible expiriance with your company's product, but here you have several people who have restricted access to something they want to do because your company refuses to allow it access. Has your company tried making light of this situation to the Nintendo company so that one or both of you may attempt to solve the problem? AT&T receives payment from its consumers in return for providing quality service. Your refusal to allow simple access to a WEP is poor service. 

6 of 9 (3,375 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 11:17:51 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello Smilodon,

Wireless access to connect using a WEP encryption is not restricted. It is an option with a different level of security. There are some products that continue to use lower levels of wireless security. To accomodate most products and provide the best recommended wireless authentication our gateways use WPA/WPA2 by default. If there are some specific devices that have trouble connecting, the option exists to modify the settings in the gateway to lower the security level to match your device.

Depending on the Residentail Gateway we provided you, these settings can be changed by accessing the gateway at http://192.168.1.254

In the Wireless Section you will find the authentication fields that can be modified to fit your needs.

To Modify Security Settings on Motorola NVG510:

After entering http://192.168.1.254

Go to Home Network
Select Wireless
Select the Security Type from the dropdown
Click Save

To Modify Security Settings on 2Wire/Pace Gateways:

Click Wireless Icon
Go to Security section
Select the Authentication Type needed from the drop down
Click Save

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hello Smilodon,

Wireless access to connect using a WEP encryption is not restricted. It is an option with a different level of security. There are some products that continue to use lower levels of wireless security. To accomodate most products and provide the best recommended wireless authentication our gateways use WPA/WPA2 by default. If there are some specific devices that have trouble connecting, the option exists to modify the settings in the gateway to lower the security level to match your device.

Depending on the Residentail Gateway we provided you, these settings can be changed by accessing the gateway at http://192.168.1.254

In the Wireless Section you will find the authentication fields that can be modified to fit your needs.

To Modify Security Settings on Motorola NVG510:

Go to Home Network
Select Wireless
Select the Security Type from the dropdown
Click Save

To Modify Security Settings on 2Wire/Pace Gateways:

Click Wireless Icon
Go to Security section
Select the Authentication Type needed from the drop down
Click Save

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 9 (3,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 4:43:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Smilodon wrote:

As Saddath explained, the RG can be set for WEP if you wish.  By default, it is set for WPA, which is more secure.  It is in your best interest to run the best security that you can.  For Nintendo to force you to use the older, less secure WEP instead of giving you the option of running WEP and/or WPA is a failing of NIntendo's.  AT&T gives you the choice, but you have to change the setting as Saddath suggested.

I don't work for AT&T so "my company" has no dog in this fight.  Nintendo knows about this issue, as you can see at:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds-security.jsp

Smilodon wrote:

As Saddath explained, the RG can be set for WEP if you wish.  By default, it is set for WPA, which is more secure.  It is in your best interest to run the best security that you can.  For Nintendo to force you to use the older, less secure WEP instead of giving you the option of running WEP and/or WPA is a failing of NIntendo's.  AT&T gives you the choice, but you have to change the setting as Saddath suggested.

I don't work for AT&T so "my company" has no dog in this fight.  Nintendo knows about this issue, as you can see at:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds-security.jsp

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 9 (3,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2015 7:45:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

THE ANSWER IS - if using uverse,  open internet browser. type ip address of your gateway/modem by default is 192.168.1.254.  Click on home network then wireless. then enter device access code wich is on the back of the modem.  WPA version change from WPA-2 to BOTH.   Problem solved. Smiley Happy  for me anyway.  I hope this works for you i'll try to keep up with thread to help any other issues.

THE ANSWER IS - if using uverse,  open internet browser. type ip address of your gateway/modem by default is 192.168.1.254.  Click on home network then wireless. then enter device access code wich is on the back of the modem.  WPA version change from WPA-2 to BOTH.   Problem solved. Smiley Happy  for me anyway.  I hope this works for you i'll try to keep up with thread to help any other issues.

9 of 9 (1,114 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments