Helpful Links

New wall outlet, cant reconnect to modem

Contributor

New wall outlet, cant reconnect to modem

Installed a new wall outlet into the house with cat5 connection I didn't pay attention to how it was hooked up.

However what I can assure you is green and green white were used I've double checked the outside box as well.

On the wall plate my understanding since its standard phone needs to be red/white. Well since I bought a cat5 wall plate I got more colors regardless it should work.

I've tried to hook it up green to red/white and white/green to green which Is standard phone Jack.

I've also reset the modem via unplug each time I've switched wires on wall plate
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: New wall outlet, cant reconnect to modem

etp72 - When you plug a device into a standard wired RJ-11 or RJ-45 jack it connects via the center pins.

On a prewired cat5 cable the blue & blue white wires are wired to the center pins. But, it does not matter because, both ends are the same. The center pins on one end connect to the center pins on the other end.

If one end is wired (no standard plug on that end) make sure you have found the circuit you want to connect on the existing cable & connect that to the pair that is going to end up on the center pins of a standard plug or jack, as in your wall plate.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Employee

Re: New wall outlet, cant reconnect to modem

In agreement with aviewer, if your on the green pair at the NID, new cable from NID to RG location using a cat5 wall jack, center pins 4,5 are blue pair.

Connect solid green wire from cable to solid blue on jack, connect g/w wire to blue/white on jack.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support