Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 29, 2013
2:57:25 PM
View profile
New residentoal gateway software shows wireless network key in the clear

Just found there was a software udate on my 3800HGV-B gateway and now the wireless network key is shown in the clear under the home tab Gtaeways status information.

Any effort going to be made to fix this security hole?

Just found there was a software udate on my 3800HGV-B gateway and now the wireless network key is shown in the clear under the home tab Gtaeways status information.

New residentoal gateway software shows wireless network key in the clear

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:01:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

it's not a security issue, nor a firmwarre problem, it's suppose to be that way, only you should have access to the internal system page for your modem within your home network of course, outside people don't have access to it.

it's not a security issue, nor a firmwarre problem, it's suppose to be that way, only you should have access to the internal system page for your modem within your home network of course, outside people don't have access to it.

Re: New residentoal gateway software shows wireless network key in the clear

2 of 13 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:14:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Think it was to solve the problem of the wrong sticker on the RG as that was the only way to get the wireless key before. 

If you use wireless, it should be secured from outside penetration, so only you could see the key from your network anyways. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Think it was to solve the problem of the wrong sticker on the RG as that was the only way to get the wireless key before. 

If you use wireless, it should be secured from outside penetration, so only you could see the key from your network anyways. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:14:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

rlb2204 wrote:

How is it a security hole?

rlb2204 wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 7:42:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

texasguy37 wrote:

rlb2204 wrote:

It's right out there for anyone who has already used the security key to access the wireless network to see, IN PLAIN TEXT!  Can't you see???

:sigh:

texasguy37 wrote:

rlb2204 wrote:

It's right out there for anyone who has already used the security key to access the wireless network to see, IN PLAIN TEXT!  Can't you see???

:sigh:

5 of 13 (680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 1:15:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Apparently every single other Router Manufacturer thinks it's a security hole so don't allow Network security keys to be seen in plain text after entry.

Apparently Microsoft thinks it is too, and don't let you retrieve a Network security key in plain text after entry into any Windows machine.

I imagine even the electrician working in my house who walks up to my PC when I'm in the other room and types 192.168.1.254 into my browser might even think so too?

I realize anyone with a will can hack into the network to get at it, but publishing it in plain sight is certianly unique to AT&T.

Apparently every single other Router Manufacturer thinks it's a security hole so don't allow Network security keys to be seen in plain text after entry.

Apparently Microsoft thinks it is too, and don't let you retrieve a Network security key in plain text after entry into any Windows machine.

I imagine even the electrician working in my house who walks up to my PC when I'm in the other room and types 192.168.1.254 into my browser might even think so too?

I realize anyone with a will can hack into the network to get at it, but publishing it in plain sight is certianly unique to AT&T.

6 of 13 (585 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 1:52:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yeah, I guess having the wireless security key printed on a label on the side of the router which anyone can read is more secure that what you have pointed out as being a security hole.

Yeah, I guess having the wireless security key printed on a label on the side of the router which anyone can read is more secure that what you have pointed out as being a security hole.

7 of 13 (579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 1:55:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

nsindy wrote:

You mean you leave your PC unsecured so that a stranger can access it when you are not around?  That sounds like a big secuirty hole to me!

nsindy wrote:

You mean you leave your PC unsecured so that a stranger can access it when you are not around?  That sounds like a big secuirty hole to me!

8 of 13 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 11:11:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

My 3600HGV RG is likewise updated with the new upgrade SW and like other 3800HGV RG's; it is displaying in plain text my customized key. ATT should push software patch to remove the plain text and replace with asterisks orr plain blank.

I have to point out that common sense (and for that matter no Router manufacturers has ever display router's key/password....

I agree and support all other posts regarding this fiasco and irresponsible upgrade...

My 3600HGV RG is likewise updated with the new upgrade SW and like other 3800HGV RG's; it is displaying in plain text my customized key. ATT should push software patch to remove the plain text and replace with asterisks orr plain blank.

I have to point out that common sense (and for that matter no Router manufacturers has ever display router's key/password....

I agree and support all other posts regarding this fiasco and irresponsible upgrade...

9 of 13 (347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 8:11:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are you really sure that it wasn't displayed in plain text BEFORE the last upgrade?

Are you really sure that it wasn't displayed in plain text BEFORE the last upgrade?

10 of 13 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:29:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am 101% sure that before the upgrade, the RG key was not displayed on the Home tab. If you are with ATT, then you should know the pre- and post- upgrade situations. Otherwise ATT dont do any push-updates if you do not know what the implications will do...

I am 101% sure that before the upgrade, the RG key was not displayed on the Home tab. If you are with ATT, then you should know the pre- and post- upgrade situations. Otherwise ATT dont do any push-updates if you do not know what the implications will do...

11 of 13 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:34:00 PM
(0)
Contributor
Do not break a software if it isn't broken! Or leave the RG software alone!
Do not break a software if it isn't broken! Or leave the RG software alone!

12 of 13 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 2:25:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

But clearly I am not with AT&T. 

But clearly I am not with AT&T. 

13 of 13 (251 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments