New install -- given a low capacity DVR

Tutor

New install -- given a low capacity DVR

[ Edited ]

I'm a brand new AT&T customer, just had U450 installed last week in a new house.  The links below seem to indicate that new U450 customers are supposed to receive a high capacity DVR of at least 155 HD hours.  The DVR we received is the VIP1225 with only 61 HD hours of storage.  I don't think this is going to be enough storage for us, considering that our previous DVR with Comcast was a 1TB TiVo.  What do we need to do to get this issue corrected?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/DVR-capacity/td-p/3700731#.Utcwp2RDuUA

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/total-home-dvr.jsp#fbid=zqpVUbuo558

Message 1 of 8 (684 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: New install -- given a low capacity DVR

You are correct that you should receive a large capacity DVR, the 1225 is listed as a large capacity DVR as the small unit is the 1216. The install tech can only provide that which is on there truck, I have had times when only had 1216, 1225s to provide, have also had times when all my DVR were 2250s and a ufamily or u200 designated for 1216 gets a 2250.

If concerned, call and request the 2250 either be shipped and you replace at your convenience or schedule a 4 hour repair appointment to have tech swap the DVR.

But seriously do not think your installer was trying to pull a fast one, it was what they had and does qualify as a large DVR.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (667 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi @fiznarp 

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't provided a higher capacity DVR. 'My Thoughts' is correct, sometimes tech's available inventory doesn't always contain the VIP2250 but, I'll be happy to help you get this corrected. I'm going to send you a Private Message that will land in your inbox and we will move forward from there. Thank you! Smiley Happy

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (632 Views)
Tutor

Thanks!  I appreciate it!

Message 4 of 8 (619 Views)
Scholar

Can we at least address the real issue here? a 2TB hard drive costs all of $100 these days. The notion that there is ANY storage constraint in a modern DVR is unthinkable. AT&T should either eliminate their inventory of "small" hard drives or (better) enable external storage on their DVR.

Message 5 of 8 (607 Views)
Employee

Hey Fiznarp,

I'm glad that we were able to swap your DVR with the correct model. If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment in the future, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 8 (496 Views)
ACE - Professor

marcindublin wrote:

Can we at least address the real issue here? a 2TB hard drive costs all of $100 these days. The notion that there is ANY storage constraint in a modern DVR is unthinkable. AT&T should either eliminate their inventory of "small" hard drives or (better) enable external storage on their DVR.

I agree. I'm thinking AT&T is secretly some sort of "next level" U-Verse. I could have three or four DVRs with Time Warner and have them all "talk" to each other. Of course, that would probably be about $50 in equipment fees, but the point remains that the techs are giving out a measley 250gig DVR (and one per house) when it really can't be entirely uncommon to have multiple TBs of storage.

...in fact, I did see a screen shot on this site of someone who had several hours recorded and their "yellow bar" was very short.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (446 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

As I posted somewhere else, it is likely that the external USB connection is 1.1, which isn't fast enough for it to be used for an external drive without some severe restrictions. EDIT: Actually, it turns out I was wrong.  At least some of them are USB 2.0, which should be fast enough to handle all the requirements; however that doesn't mean all consumer USB2.0 hard drives can keep up with writing 4 streams while simultaneously reading up to 3 at the same time.

Okay, so a 2 TB drive costs only $20 more than a 500 GB drive.  So what?  AT&T has millions of low capacity DVRs out there that would likely cost them more than $200 each to replace with a new box with any size hard drive.  Now that U-verse has 5 million TV subscribers, a change out of equipment is an expensive proposition.  Multiply $200 times 5 million.  We're talking about real money in terms of CapEx.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 8 (440 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.