New firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm breaks DNS relay service

Contributor

New firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm breaks DNS relay service

On Monday Oct 11, all 6 of my computers, 2 iPhones and a Sony TV started exhibiting intermittant network failures. Web pages wouldn't load and email accounts would show up as offline. But it would work fine roughly once in 6 tries. Or it would work for a bit and then go intermitant again. 

Help desk reported no outages and my line tested OK. Restarting the Uverse modem did not solve the problem. A new 2wire 3600HGV did not solve the problem.

On a lark, I was told to manually configure everything on my network to use Google DNS servers instead of using the 2wire residential gateware to relay DNS requests to the AT&T DNS servers.

Using the Google or AT&T DNS servers directly instead of relaying through the 2wire solves the problem. Unfortunately, every person who comes to my house has a problem using my network unless I manually reconfigure their devices. The 2wire firmware used to work just fine and it won't permit, disabling DNS relay and passing the DNS AT&T server addresses to the client during the DHCP process.

Help desk is say "meh ... "Some customer's equipment doesn't work with the AT&T DNS relay". Mind you, ALL of my equipment has the latest iOS and Mac OS X or firmware from Sony. All 6 computers, 2 wireless access points, 2 phones "don't work" with Firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm.  But it was all working fine BEFORE Oct 14.

Anyone else having this problem? Is this a known firmware bug in the 3600HGV? Or does the new firmware just not work with Apple and Sony equipment maybe?

Message 1 of 3 (517 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: New firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm breaks DNS relay service

I also have 6.9.1.42 and mine works fine.  I have 3 sony TV's, a Sony S Tablet, iPhones X 2, laptops, etc.  All work fine so I'm not sure why your having issues.

I know you said you received a new gateway but maybe try resetting it back to factory default and let it re-load the software and see if you get the same behavior.

If the software revision was causing the issue you discribe, there would be tons of complaints on these boards.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (474 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: New firmware 6.9.1.42-plus.tm breaks DNS relay service

I would recommend you reset the 3600HGV to factory defaults using the last button on the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

On occasion, I've seen the 2Wire gateways exhibit strange symptoms which are only corrected by a factory reset.

Message 3 of 3 (455 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.