New Orleans Saints hammered by NFL

New Orleans Saints hammered by NFL

Coach Sean Peyton suspended for 1 year without pay

Gregg Williams (former D-Coordinator new Rams D-Coordinator) suspended indefinately

General Manager Mickey Loomis suspended for 8 games without pay

Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt suspended 6 games without pay

Team fined $500,000

Loss of 2nd round draft picks in 2012 and 2013.

Roger Goodell definately wants to send a message that bounties will not be tolerated in the NFL.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 1 of 9 (357 Views)
Professor

Re: New Orleans Saints hammered by NFL

They got what they deserve.

Message 2 of 9 (338 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

oufanindallas wrote:

Gregg Williams (former D-Coordinator new Rams D-Coordinator) suspended indefinately

Team fined $500,000

Roger Goodell definitely wants to send a message that bounties will not be tolerated in the NFL.

We'll see if it sticks.  Remember NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson and Hendrick Motorsport's #48 at Daytona with the suspect c-pillars?  The owner and driver were docked 25 points, Both crew and car chiefs suspended for 6 races and the crew chief was fined $100K and put on probation.  They appealed and lost the first round.  NASCAR has a final appeal process - and most of the penalties were overturned.  The rub is that the appeals judge is 1) a former General Motors executive (The 48 is a Chevy Smiley Surprised ) and 2) The Judge is a personal friend of Rick Hendrick Smiley Surprised  Some say that NASCAR set all of this up, knowing that it would be overturned just to say "well we tried to get Hendrick...."  I wonder if the NFL has a similar appeal process and Archie Manning might be the judge? Smiley Wink Smiley Sad

Seriously - I think that the saints should have to give up their SB trophy to the Indianapolis Colts.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (326 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

dhascall wrote:

We'll see if it sticks.  Remember NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson and Hendrick Motorsport's #48 at Daytona with the suspect c-pillars?  The owner and driver were docked 25 points, Both crew and car chiefs suspended for 6 races and the crew chief was fined $100K and put on probation.  They appealed and lost the first round.  NASCAR has a final appeal process - and most of the penlties were overturned.  The rub is that the appeals judge is 1) a former General Motors executive (The 48 is a Chevy Smiley Surprised ) and 2) The Judtge is a personal friend of Rick Hendrick Smiley Surprised  Some say that NASCAR set all of this up, knowing that it would be overturned just to say "well we tried to get Hendrick...."  I wonder if the NFL has a similar appeal process and Archie Manning might be the judge? Smiley Wink Smiley Sad

Seriously - I think that the saints should have to give up their SB trophy to the Indianapolis Colts.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of a player or team appealing a sanction handed down by the Commissioner and winning.*

They (the teams and owners) have enough money to pay the penalty.  Plus, I think they want to just pay the money and let it die down.  Appealling the sanctions would put it in the limelight longer.

*edit:  Doing research online, I read that there is no appeal process.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (321 Views)
Expert

Ya, I think the buck stops with the commissioner. Saints ain't getting out of this one.
Message 5 of 9 (317 Views)

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Team fined $500,000

Roger Goodell definitely wants to send a message that bounties will not be tolerated in the NFL.

We'll see if it sticks.  Remember NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson and Hendrick Motorsport's #48 at Daytona with the suspect c-pillars?  The owner and driver were docked 25 points, Both crew and car chiefs suspended for 6 races and the crew chief was fined $100K and put on probation.  They appealed and lost the first round.  NASCAR has a final appeal process - and most of the penalties were overturned.  The rub is that the appeals judge is 1) a former General Motors executive (The 48 is a Chevy Smiley Surprised ) and 2) The Judge is a personal friend of Rick Hendrick Smiley Surprised  Some say that NASCAR set all of this up, knowing that it would be overturned just to say "well we tried to get Hendrick...."  I wonder if the NFL has a similar appeal process and Archie Manning might be the judge? Smiley Wink Smiley Sad

Sure the final judge for appeals is a former GM executive and a friend of Rick Hendricks, he is also a friend of Brian France.  The problem with the NASCAR penalties on the 48 team is the car was never put under a template and other cars (over 20) were allowed to make modifications to the car to fit the templates before inspections.  The final appeal process in NASCAR has been used on 3 different occasions and each time, the penalties have been significantly reduced or removed.  While there may have been something wrong with the car, the proper procedures weren't followed.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 6 of 9 (310 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Team fined $500,000

Sure the final judge for appeals is a former GM executive and a friend of Rick Hendricks, he is also a friend of Brian France.  The problem with the NASCAR penalties on the 48 team is the car was never put under a template and other cars (over 20) were allowed to make modifications to the car to fit the templates before inspections.  The final appeal process in NASCAR has been used on 3 different occasions and each time, the penalties have been significantly reduced or removed.  While there may have been something wrong with the car, the proper procedures weren't followed.

All: I was being fecitious about someone overturning Goodell's ruling.

Oufan: NASCAR took ALOT of heat back in 2006(?) when Chad Knaus rigged up a device afixed to the rear window that pulled the rear 1/3 of the car, down and out of the windstream.  Chad did get kicked out for 6 weeks but the team lost no points.  Many (including myself) were highly suspect that other similar infractions cost teams points.  Look at Clint Bowyer.  He lost 150 points (under the old points system) for a 1/64" infraction - that would equal about a 35 point penalty under the new system.  The 48 didn't even get that.  The reason that it hadn't even gone to the template (yet) that the C post was clearly illegal.  They were given an option - fix it or let it go through the template and we can show you how far it is off.  Rumor has it, that if it made it to the template and was shown illegal that the 48 could not run Speedweeks at all.  My guess is that NASCAR knew that it would be overturned.  "We tried to penalize them (wink, wink)."

Message 7 of 9 (303 Views)
ACE - Master

Interesting update:  Saints, Peyton appeal NFL punishment

Message 8 of 9 (279 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

skeeterintexas wrote:

Interesting update:  Saints, Peyton appeal NFL punishment

Maybe the Saints will get lucky, like NASCAR's Hendrick Motorsports did - and Archie Manning will be assigned the role of appeals Judge, lol.

Message 9 of 9 (267 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.