Posted Sep 30, 2013
3:45:56 PM
View profile
New 45mb install not getting full speed?

I just had an "upgrade" to the 45meg service over the weekend, but I can't seem to get a good speed test (tried several, generally trying to standardize with Ookla's to several nearby servers).  Best I've seen is about 33Mbit down and 1Mbit up, and more typically it runs about 29Mbit down and 0.8 Mbit up.  However, from looking at the modem stats, you'd think everything was fine. 

At first we thought it was due to a bridge tap, but the repair tech has since removed all those.  That actually did absolutely nothing in terms of the line speed.  The installer and I are both scratching our heads.  Any ideas?  If I'm reading this correctly, the line should be good for roughly 55/6, right?

DSL Status

Line 1 Line 2  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream

Line StateUpUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)2894026493
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)29153152
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)5894851412
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)29153152
ModulationVDSL2VDSL2
Data PathInterleavedInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)21.5019.00
Line Attenuation (dB)31.1031.80
Output Power(dBm)14.2-0.714.20.5
Errored Seconds0000
Loss of Signal0000
Loss of Frame0000
FEC Errors2421038210
CRC Errors0000
Aggregated Information
Bonded Downstream Rate55433
Bonded Upstream Rate6067

I just had an "upgrade" to the 45meg service over the weekend, but I can't seem to get a good speed test (tried several, generally trying to standardize with Ookla's to several nearby servers).  Best I've seen is about 33Mbit down and 1Mbit up, and more typically it runs about 29Mbit down and 0.8 Mbit up.  However, from looking at the modem stats, you'd think everything was fine. 

At first we thought it was due to a bridge tap, but the repair tech has since removed all those.  That actually did absolutely nothing in terms of the line speed.  The installer and I are both scratching our heads.  Any ideas?  If I'm reading this correctly, the line should be good for roughly 55/6, right?

DSL Status

Line 1 Line 2  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream

Line StateUpUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)2894026493
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)29153152
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)5894851412
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)29153152
ModulationVDSL2VDSL2
Data PathInterleavedInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)21.5019.00
Line Attenuation (dB)31.1031.80
Output Power(dBm)14.2-0.714.20.5
Errored Seconds0000
Loss of Signal0000
Loss of Frame0000
FEC Errors2421038210
CRC Errors0000
Aggregated Information
Bonded Downstream Rate55433
Bonded Upstream Rate6067

New 45mb install not getting full speed?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 11:29:04 PM
(0)
Employee
Suspect issue is due to high line attenuation (31+) each line.
Ideally you want a high SN Margin and a low Line Attenuation.
Most on the Power profile 55/6 have lie at 12-18 your 31 is killing your speed
What is your distance from VRAD, the longer the distance the higher the line.
Bridge tap adds loop length, if taps are removed and still issue?

Those that report lower download speeds than expected generally have close to upload (4.5-5.5)
As your upload is 1M or less, either questionable ports or wiring issue...you are testing direct to 589....
No tvs on, no wireless connection, no router behind...factory made cable, not tech made....
Reasoning,,,I have seen techs do an A type on one plug, B type other plug killing speeds hardwired.
Suspect issue is due to high line attenuation (31+) each line.
Ideally you want a high SN Margin and a low Line Attenuation.
Most on the Power profile 55/6 have lie at 12-18 your 31 is killing your speed
What is your distance from VRAD, the longer the distance the higher the line.
Bridge tap adds loop length, if taps are removed and still issue?

Those that report lower download speeds than expected generally have close to upload (4.5-5.5)
As your upload is 1M or less, either questionable ports or wiring issue...you are testing direct to 589....
No tvs on, no wireless connection, no router behind...factory made cable, not tech made....
Reasoning,,,I have seen techs do an A type on one plug, B type other plug killing speeds hardwired.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: New 45mb install not getting full speed?

2 of 5 (2,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 7:30:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As mythoughts asked, are these tests:

• directly connected to the RG via Ethernet Cable?
  • while no TV is being recorded or watched live?
  • while no other Internet use is going on?

If your wireless connection is not capable of 45 Mbps, you won't get it.  IPTV (especially HD) can affect how much HSI is available, but for the effect on downstream you're reporting, you'd have to be consuming all 4 HD streams.  And, of course, speed tests do downloads and uploads and see how fast it happened, other use affects the counting.

As mythoughts asked, are these tests:

• directly connected to the RG via Ethernet Cable?
  • while no TV is being recorded or watched live?
  • while no other Internet use is going on?

If your wireless connection is not capable of 45 Mbps, you won't get it.  IPTV (especially HD) can affect how much HSI is available, but for the effect on downstream you're reporting, you'd have to be consuming all 4 HD streams.  And, of course, speed tests do downloads and uploads and see how fast it happened, other use affects the counting.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (2,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 11:16:41 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Wolverine7,

Just wanted to check in and see if the issue has been resolved. The information JefferMC provided is a good starting point, and will help isolate the problem. If you are still experiencing slow speeds after isolating it down to one hard wired computer with nothing else turned on, reach out to us by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, phone number, account number, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi Wolverine7,

Just wanted to check in and see if the issue has been resolved. The information JefferMC provided is a good starting point, and will help isolate the problem. If you are still experiencing slow speeds after isolating it down to one hard wired computer with nothing else turned on, reach out to us by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, phone number, account number, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (1,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 2:06:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

The only thing I really see in your numbers that I don't like much is the upstream MABR ratings for each line. They are way too low in comparison to your download MABRs. With those kind of down rates you are probably about as far as I am (2200'-2700' on 24AWG cable) which would mean all things held the same your up rates should be pretty close to mine. However, your up MABRs are barely 3Mb on each line and if you'll notice you are running at 100% capacity as your CUBR(what the modem is actually running at) is exactly the same as the MABR. Your up MABRs should be much closer to 12190 kb on each line providing you are on a set of K-cards. You are most likely on a pair of F-cards though since they tend to have weaker upstream rates at distance all things held the same. But even then your max up rates should be closer to 6-7 Mb on each line.

I think you've got defective ports or just need swapped to a pair of K cards...and if you are already on K cards and the techs are 100% sure there are no line issues and the RG has been swapped, then really the only thing left is the port...

The only thing I really see in your numbers that I don't like much is the upstream MABR ratings for each line. They are way too low in comparison to your download MABRs. With those kind of down rates you are probably about as far as I am (2200'-2700' on 24AWG cable) which would mean all things held the same your up rates should be pretty close to mine. However, your up MABRs are barely 3Mb on each line and if you'll notice you are running at 100% capacity as your CUBR(what the modem is actually running at) is exactly the same as the MABR. Your up MABRs should be much closer to 12190 kb on each line providing you are on a set of K-cards. You are most likely on a pair of F-cards though since they tend to have weaker upstream rates at distance all things held the same. But even then your max up rates should be closer to 6-7 Mb on each line.

I think you've got defective ports or just need swapped to a pair of K cards...and if you are already on K cards and the techs are 100% sure there are no line issues and the RG has been swapped, then really the only thing left is the port...

5 of 5 (1,342 Views)