Netgear repeater setup for 2wire 3801HGV

Highlighted
Tutor

Netgear repeater setup for 2wire 3801HGV

Hi there,

I know this is a bit of a repeat question since I have seen lots of repeater focused discussion already, but I cannot for the life of me set this thing up.  Any help you can give would be great even if it is just pointing me to the answer already given that applies to me.

So my situation is pretty simple, all I would like is for my Netgear WNDR3700v2 router to act as a repeater for my 2wire 3801HGV router/modem.  If possible I would also like to still use the LAN ports on the Netgear router  My challenge is that the 2wire options are not very straightforward for me, and dont match any tutorials I have tried so far such as this one: 

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-up-netgear-repeater-55722.html

My netgear does "seem" to say its in repeating mode, the 2wire "seems" to have the netgear listed under public networks.  But I cannot use LAN through my netgear and I really dont think the Netgear is functioning as a repeater.

Appreciate your help on this.

Message 1 of 10
Community Support

Re: Netgear repeater setup for 2wire 3801HGV

Hi @disipled,

I am hoping this is a very easy fix. I did some research on the Netgear, and it appears the page you linked is for the instructions as if you were using 2 Netgear products. I believe that some of the settings listed are Netgear proprietary, so it becomes hard to follow the instructions with another router. I tried to find examples where they used a different router instead of another netgear, and it appears that the only thing they have done was to configure the Netgear router only.

So all you need to do is:

1. Configure the Netgear wireless settings to be the same as the 2wire (SSID, key, network security)
  2. Choose the option to Enable the Wireless Repeating Function and put in the 2wire MAC address
    Netgear.png
  3. You can find the 2wire Mac Address by logging into the GUI and going to Settings -> Broadband -> Status.

Hope this helps. If not, the other option would be to let the Netgear act as the main wireless router and disable the wireless on the U-verse, and you can just do the basic router setup through the Netgear Wizard.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Professor

Just as a note, if you do manage to get this working, I believe that Netgear routers in repeater mode using WDS will be limited to G speeds and WEP/no security.

I don't know if they changed that yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Tutor

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I went through the steps you listed, but I have had no luck.  I think there are steps missing on the 2wire side honestly.  What about ip address allocation?  Supplementary network settings? ip address in range?  In the screen shot you provided you listed the MAC address in base station, but my understanding is that is for the base station I thought?

Sorry, for all the questions, but I feel like something on the 2wire side needs to be told to communicate with netgear as a repeater.

-ben

Message 4 of 10
Tutor

Thank you for your reply Darknessrise.

I am indeed using WEP security over the G network of the router.

-ben

Message 5 of 10
Community Support

Hi Ben,

Most repeaters I have worked with just need settings on their end to repeat the signal of the router, and do not require any configuration from the router. Some repeaters actually do not require any additional configuration after you plug an Ethernet cable into it. I am not sure about the Netgear, but it seems like it may be the same. But you should not have to do any IP address allocation or any kind of settings because the device is acting as a repeater and not it's own router, so the routing is still done from the 2wire.

The screenshot is where you want to put the MAC address of the 2wire gateway. It is an example screenshot I pulled off the site, so I am not sure what the MAC address in the picture is for, but you can find the MAC address for the 2wire by logging into the 2wire GUI and going to Settings -> Broadband -> Status.

Hope this helps.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10
Tutor

Hi David,

I followed all your steps exactly but still no luck.  Let me check though, with the settings you suggest should I be able to get internet access if I wire into the repeating netgear router?  I have a printer that I want to put on the network and it connects via ethernet.

As for the screen shot you provided, I questioned that because in the description of what each setting does it makes it sound like I am putting the netgear router in the base station mode.  For example, the mac address there is listed under the repeaters mac address box, whereas under the other setting it asks for the base station mac address.  Shouldn't I use that one?  If I do it also asks to set the repeater IP, and I noticed the 2wire's IP range is 64-254 while the netgear is 192.168.1.1, hence my ip allocation question.

Sorry for all the questions, it seems simple for sure, so I will try again and see if I can get wired access too.

Message 7 of 10
Community Support

Yes, you should, hopefully. Also, one thing you may want to check is the IP address and Default Gateway your device is getting when you connect it into the Netgear.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 10
Tutor

Hi there,

So I ended up getting it to work.  But, I had to put DD-WRT on the router and follow the steps at the below link for an Atheros cjipset (the one in my router).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Once I got connected, there was an extra step when the 2wire detected a router behind router setup that and I had to disable the block.

I appreciate your help trying to resolve this.  I guess the netgear setup just didnt want to work...

Message 9 of 10
Community Support

Hi @disipled,

I am glad you were able to get this resolved. My only advice now is to try to name the wireless network on the Netgear with the same name (SSID), password, and security type so that it will be a seamless transition through the house.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support