Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 20, 2014
9:04:07 PM
Netflix streaming quality issues
Have 18Mb service through UVERSE, typically get >16Mb download. For the past couple of months, cannot get Netflix to stream much better than 240SD on panasonic S60 Plasma Smart TV. Have similar performance issues on PC, MAC and Xbox One. Oddly, AppleTV seems to stream consistently at 720P. All devices experience poor streaming performance when wired to RG.

Any ideas why the performance is so bad and how to resolve? We have tried adjusting the DNS on the devices with little success. Called UVERSE support and they were of little help. Google has not been our friend. I'm ready to try Comcast to see if they are any better...
Have 18Mb service through UVERSE, typically get >16Mb download. For the past couple of months, cannot get Netflix to stream much better than 240SD on panasonic S60 Plasma Smart TV. Have similar performance issues on PC, MAC and Xbox One. Oddly, AppleTV seems to stream consistently at 720P. All devices experience poor streaming performance when wired to RG.

Any ideas why the performance is so bad and how to resolve? We have tried adjusting the DNS on the devices with little success. Called UVERSE support and they were of little help. Google has not been our friend. I'm ready to try Comcast to see if they are any better...

Netflix streaming quality issues

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 9:25:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Forgot to mention that Amazon Prime and other streaming services display fine. The issue seems to be specific to Nerflix.
Forgot to mention that Amazon Prime and other streaming services display fine. The issue seems to be specific to Nerflix.

Re: Netflix streaming quality issues

2 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 8:23:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You will probably also find that if you try to view in "off-prime" hours, that the Netflix streaming is much better quality than during "prime-time".  IIRC, this is all related to the Netfilx choice to stream higher quility to their "partner networks" and to send reduces speed/quality to anyone ISP which doesn't join into their program...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

You will probably also find that if you try to view in "off-prime" hours, that the Netflix streaming is much better quality than during "prime-time".  IIRC, this is all related to the Netfilx choice to stream higher quility to their "partner networks" and to send reduces speed/quality to anyone ISP which doesn't join into their program...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 8:29:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
That does not explain why AppleTV streams Netflix fine anytime. Also, I have had the same experience middle of the day, late at night, even 7AM Eastern...

My neighbor has the same ATT service and his starts off in SD, but quickly jumps to 1080P using Xbox One.

Oh, and all of this worked fine up until just before Christmas on my end.
That does not explain why AppleTV streams Netflix fine anytime. Also, I have had the same experience middle of the day, late at night, even 7AM Eastern...

My neighbor has the same ATT service and his starts off in SD, but quickly jumps to 1080P using Xbox One.

Oh, and all of this worked fine up until just before Christmas on my end.

4 of 10 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 7:41:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Another night of unnecessary congestion. ATT should really refund some portion of our Bill. Cannot get better than 288SD resolution on Netflix.

Been shopping new services today... Maybe the new deal with Netflix and Comcast will stead us there. No one at AT&T seems to want to address this in a meaningful way... Very sad.
Another night of unnecessary congestion. ATT should really refund some portion of our Bill. Cannot get better than 288SD resolution on Netflix.

Been shopping new services today... Maybe the new deal with Netflix and Comcast will stead us there. No one at AT&T seems to want to address this in a meaningful way... Very sad.

5 of 10 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 8:15:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you not done a google search for Netflix streaming issues?  It's across all providers.  Netflix and Comcast just reached some kind of agreement that should start helping their customers, but no time frame given.  Of course Comcast will just raise their rates a few more times this year to recoup their costs.  Until all providers come up with some kind of agreement it will continue to happen.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Have you not done a google search for Netflix streaming issues?  It's across all providers.  Netflix and Comcast just reached some kind of agreement that should start helping their customers, but no time frame given.  Of course Comcast will just raise their rates a few more times this year to recoup their costs.  Until all providers come up with some kind of agreement it will continue to happen.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 9:04:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Google? What's that? Now I'm starting to sound like ATT Tech Support. :-)

I'm very familiar with the unnecessary and purposeful actions service providers are taking to fight the success Netflix has had. Once they are recognized as "common carriers" there will be no more cloaks to hide behind.

As expected, another useless response, evading the question. Riddle me this... Why is it that at any time during the day, Netflix on AppleTV works perfectly? If I switch to another device, quality is significantly degraded? The response that "everyone is experiencing this" does not hold up. It just reiterates that ATT chooses to control the data you receive by refusing to allow full streams from Netflix. Sounds like a breach of contract with your subscribers to me...

Oh, and pay an extra $5/month to a provider that delivers and does not hide? Totally worth it. I'm already paying ATT $350/month for services that ere modified without notice and now don't fully meet expectations or advertised performance. Thanks...
Google? What's that? Now I'm starting to sound like ATT Tech Support. :-)

I'm very familiar with the unnecessary and purposeful actions service providers are taking to fight the success Netflix has had. Once they are recognized as "common carriers" there will be no more cloaks to hide behind.

As expected, another useless response, evading the question. Riddle me this... Why is it that at any time during the day, Netflix on AppleTV works perfectly? If I switch to another device, quality is significantly degraded? The response that "everyone is experiencing this" does not hold up. It just reiterates that ATT chooses to control the data you receive by refusing to allow full streams from Netflix. Sounds like a breach of contract with your subscribers to me...

Oh, and pay an extra $5/month to a provider that delivers and does not hide? Totally worth it. I'm already paying ATT $350/month for services that ere modified without notice and now don't fully meet expectations or advertised performance. Thanks...

7 of 10 (821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 5:20:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jwsabatino wrote:
Why is it that at any time during the day, Netflix on AppleTV works perfectly? If I switch to another device, quality is significantly degraded? The response that "everyone is experiencing this" does not hold up. It just reiterates that ATT chooses to control the data you receive by refusing to allow full streams from Netflix. Sounds like a breach of contract with your subscribers to me...

Likely AppleTV is using a different DNS address than most clients and may be getting different servers from different network paths that are not congested during the day.  If AT&T were deliberately blocking Netflix as you surmise, why would AppleTV ever work?

jwsabatino wrote:
Why is it that at any time during the day, Netflix on AppleTV works perfectly? If I switch to another device, quality is significantly degraded? The response that "everyone is experiencing this" does not hold up. It just reiterates that ATT chooses to control the data you receive by refusing to allow full streams from Netflix. Sounds like a breach of contract with your subscribers to me...

Likely AppleTV is using a different DNS address than most clients and may be getting different servers from different network paths that are not congested during the day.  If AT&T were deliberately blocking Netflix as you surmise, why would AppleTV ever work?

8 of 10 (802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 6:28:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
Exactly, the DNS settings are the same. Hence the origin of this thread. Changing to other DNS like Google (8.8.8.8) offer no change. It's not wireless, because these are wired connections. However, there is something in the network causing the problem and I'm asking for help to figure out what it is.
Exactly, the DNS settings are the same. Hence the origin of this thread. Changing to other DNS like Google (8.8.8.8) offer no change. It's not wireless, because these are wired connections. However, there is something in the network causing the problem and I'm asking for help to figure out what it is.

9 of 10 (792 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 6:42:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not the DNS settings (i.e. which DNS server), but the DNS name they request for service.  e.g. instead of something like "svc.netflix.com" it may use an address like "appleTV.netflex.com".  I'm just guessing.

Not the DNS settings (i.e. which DNS server), but the DNS name they request for service.  e.g. instead of something like "svc.netflix.com" it may use an address like "appleTV.netflex.com".  I'm just guessing.

10 of 10 (790 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments