Netflix HD streaming problems

Voyager

Netflix HD streaming problems

I have an 18 Mbps Uverse connection and various online speed tests confirm I am getting between 15-18 Mbps.

So how come I am able to stream Vudu HD content at the highest quality (3 bars) which needs 9 Mbps but unable to consistently stream Netflix HD which supposedly needs only maximum of 5Mbps. Problem seems worse in the evening but no one at ATT or Netfliix has been any help. Any one else encountered this?  

Help appreciated

Roger

Message 1 of 14 (7,626 Views)
Professor

Re: Netflix HD streaming problems

What are you using to stream Netflix with, and is it with a wired or wireless connection? Also with Netflix, to get HD, you have to go to http://account.netflix.com/HdToggle set Video Quality as "Best Quality".

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

The problem occurs with both wired or wireless connection but like I said its mainly in the evening. I can stream HD all day without a problem. There is nothing wrong with the settings of my netflix account and what baffles me is it doesn't affect Vudu HDX which needs alot more bandwidth and it happens dsespite the fact that various online speed tests confirm I'm getting about 15-16 Mbps.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Message 3 of 14 (7,580 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Again, what are you using to stream Netflix with. And how is it wired back to the RG. There really is not enough info to find out why, but I can give you a clue, a lot is due to the fact that Netflix CDN servers come off of Amazon.com, and depending on where you live, depends on how good the stream is.

Netflix in the past two years has really gotten bad about their streaming quality, so part of it may not be you, but I still need answers to the above questions in the first part this post.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

As was said Netflix has had issues beyond customer control as a member of other forums such as AVS this comes up frequently.

Message 5 of 14 (7,555 Views)
Guru

Do you have the same problem on your computer when playing NF? I know NF works better through my Blue Ray Player than through my TV app or computer app...  It might be the box playing the app causing the problem

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 6 of 14 (7,496 Views)
ACE - Guru

Saw this on Roku Facebook page this last night.

"We are aware that some Netflix members are currently experiencing streaming issues. Netflix is investigating and working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. You can track service availability right here: http://downrightnow.com/netflix. Hang in there!"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 14 (7,479 Views)
Expert

gregzoll_1 wrote:
What are you using to stream Netflix with, and is it with a wired or wireless connection? Also with Netflix, to get HD, you have to go to http://account.netflix.com/HdToggle set Video Quality as "Best Quality".

Thanks for the info Greg.

Message 8 of 14 (7,386 Views)
Professor

Jeffster_1 wrote:
Saw this on Roku Facebook page this last night.

"We are aware that some Netflix members are currently experiencing streaming issues. Netflix is investigating and working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. You can track service availability right here: http://downrightnow.com/netflix. Hang in there!"

It is becoming an every day occourance with them.  No one knows if it is with the CDN on Amazon's servers, that Netflix uses, or the Netflix headend and server space itself that is causing this issue.  They have been very quiet in telling anyone what exactly is the issue as to why they keep going down.  I am almost beginning to think that it is a DDOS or DNS attack that is causing this.

It sounds like you have the exact problem that I have.  I have two Roku's, one is the XS which has a direct connection, not wireless.  I also see the same problem streaming from the PC.  I tried with the PC connected directly to the gateway with all other hardware off of the network, no difference.  I would rule out my home network anyway because I also see this as a problem only during "prime time".  Other times I get very good resolution.   I tried different DNS servers.  I also checked Netflix at a different residence with Uverse and they also have similar issues. 

I've been comparing results using the Netflix "Example Short 23.976" video which displays current bitrate and resolution.  I have remote access to a computer at another nearby location for support purposes that has Time-Warner.  One evening I tried streaming the test video locally with Uverse and remotely on the Time-Warner PC simultaneously.  With Uverse the video reported 375kbps and 384x288.  At the same time, the Time-Warner PC was reporting 3000kbps and 1280x720.   Early in the day I can also get 3000kbps and occasionally even higher with Uverse, just not in the evenings.  So for me it seems at my location it may be a bandwidth issue somewhere between Netflix and Uverse, but not Time-Warner. 

Message 10 of 14 (3,162 Views)
Scholar

I had the same problem myself so I increased my internet speed to 24mb and have not had a problem since.  From what I have been told by netflix it is the amount of data they download before streaming.  Their buffer downloads about 3 minutes of data.  The problem with the streaming is when your internet connections is slow downloading the buffer.  When you watch all that is downloaded to the buffer and your internet can not keep up it will stop and rebuffer.  If you do not want to increase your internet speed I will choose on netflix a lower resolution. But for me uping my internet speed did the trick.

Message 11 of 14 (3,135 Views)
Voyager

I've been messaging with ATTU-verseCare about this.  I have 18Mbps by default.   As a test they temporarily increased my speed to 24Mbps.  It made a noticeable improvement but the root cause of the problem is still there.  I would think that the instantaneous streaming speed is continually fluctuating while it is limited, with the average effective speed being too slow when there is high demand.  With the higher download speed, it is momentarily able to more quickly restore the buffer so it can maintain a higher resolution.  During my most recent tests, at 18Mbps I was typically at 225kbps 320x240, sometimes going up to 375 kbps / 384x288.  When at 24Mbps, I typically bounced between 1050 kbps  640x480 and  750 kbps 512x384.  At either speed, in the morning, it zipped right up to 3000 kbps 1280x720 and stayed there.

Message 12 of 14 (3,059 Views)
Contributor

I just "upgraded" to uverse with 18 Mbits and seem to be getting worse streaming video than my previous 3 Mbit DSL? Seems crazy. Using my roku device! But Hulu seems to work fine. I thought the high speed internet would make HD streaming a no brainer

Message 13 of 14 (2,709 Views)
Mentor

Netflix is in the process of working deals with all the major ISPs to fix their bandwitdh issue. Every day cord cutters are switching to Netflix and Hulu+ putting a strain on their servers, while the ISPs are shaping traffic instead using the shortest path they're sending you down the longer pipe. Which make Netflix think you can't handle HD content and downgrade you to SD.

Ping/traceroute netflix.com and see if the problem is on Netflix or U-verse side by checking the latency between each server.

In Windows, select Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

ping netflix.com

tracert netflix.com

The least hops the better.

Message 14 of 14 (2,676 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.