Need to Transfer DVR Content to New DVR

Contributor

Need to Transfer DVR Content to New DVR

I have an older DVR which is filled up with my recordings and I want to get a new DVR with a larger capacity and transfer the old data to the new receiver. How can I do this? I have checked with tech support and the forum and everything says it can't be done. I do not for a second believe that it can't be done. I do believe that AT&T doesn't want to do it, but can't...no way.

Please have someone at AT&T management build a fire under a programmer or a vendor to get this problem resolved. If I have to start over with a new DVR and still lose my recordings then I think I will just try it with another service.

Message 1 of 12 (1,926 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Need to Transfer DVR Content to New DVR

It can't be done.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (1,907 Views)
Employee

Sooner or later equipment failure will result in the loss of your recordings, either by having to do a factory reset reformatting the hard drive or complete hardware failure resulting in a DVR replacement, or cancelling service returning equipment.

There are posts about backing up your desired recordings to other media.
This results in the DVR temporary storage changed to a more permanent storage such as vhs, dvd, or pc hd.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 12 (1,899 Views)
Tutor

Could you please favor us with some clues to the search techniques to find these posts describing how to backup/save?  I tried searching on "backing" and on "backup"  in this forum and came up with nothing.

I am finding the saving of recordings very disappointing and frustrating - for example, at one point, ALL my recordings prior to 11-7 disappeared - so that was all the first few shows of every series of the fall season - such as the first few episodes of "Nashville"  - the first three were available "On demand" and on ABC's web site, but not episode 4 - which also makes no sense - one would think such major corporations could afford enough server space to save episode 4 - why bother saving the others??

So, yesterday, I discovered other recordings had disappeared.  I was suspicious, as i check "available recording space" often and it keeps showing in the low 20% ish.  i was sceptical that i was really able to keep up, can't really watch that much television.       

Message 4 of 12 (1,799 Views)
ACE - Master

It is not possible to transfer recordings to another ATT DVR. 

Here are some instructions that someone posted about being able to make copies 'the old fashioned way'....VHS.  I can't say if it's reliable or even possible.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/Transfer-recordings-can-it-be-done-yet/m-p/3279737...

There's also a link to e-how on the above post.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12 (1,790 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

j.maynard,

Just FYI, while it is not possible to transfer the recordings themselves from one DVR to another, AT&T does preserve your series definitions during a DVR swap. So you will not have to set up all of your recordings again.

Message 6 of 12 (1,775 Views)
Tutor

but can't get the lost recordings?

Message 7 of 12 (1,767 Views)
Tutor

it seems pointless to save the settings if there is no plan to save the actual recordings

Message 8 of 12 (1,741 Views)
ACE - Master

j.maynard wrote:

it seems pointless to save the settings if there is no plan to save the actual recordings

The point would be that even though you lose all of the previously recorded Glee episodes that were saved on the DVR because you either didn't get a chance to watch them or you want to re-watch them, at least the DVR will record any future episodes.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12 (1,723 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

if it does not save them, still would not get to watch them - ie, pointless

Message 10 of 12 (1,693 Views)
Expert

The only sort of workaround to losing your recordings is to watch them On Demand if they are available.  The reason I said "sort of workaround" is because some channels to not offer On Demand viewings and/or the episodes you may have lost may not be available.  This is not meant as a solution but a workaround.

Message 11 of 12 (1,669 Views)
Scholar

j.maynard wrote:

if it does not save them, still would not get to watch them - ie, pointless

Pointless for loss recordings, but saves people from having to go out and go set recordings all over again to get the new content (and most likely forgetting something, and missing more shows).   

Message 12 of 12 (1,659 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.