Need Help Adding 2nd Wired Connection to Uverse Modem

Contributor

Need Help Adding 2nd Wired Connection to Uverse Modem

We recently upgraded our 2Wire modem to the 3801HGV modem. We hoped this would give us a stronger wireless connection to some remote areas of our home.  This didn't help at all, so we added a NetGear N600 router to the equation.  This helped a bit but we're still looking for improvement.

Our modem is currently wired into our desktop (actually it's wired into the router which is connected to the desktop). The recent changes and additions were all seamless.  Here is the problem.  My husband works from home and accesses the Internet wirelessly. In an effort to free up some of the wireless traffic, we decided to wire his PC to the modem via the router using one of the remaining Ethernet ports on the router.  When we try to connect via the broadband connection option, we are prompted for a Username and Password.  I tried my AT&T Internet Username and Password and that doesn't work. Then I tried the S/N and P/N codes on the side of the 2Wire modem, same result.  It has been so many years since we first had Uverse installed and I have no idea where to find this information.  Might it be somewhere on my desktop that currently has a wired connection?  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 5 (921 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Need Help Adding 2nd Wired Connection to Uverse Modem

Can you post a screenshot of the prompt he recieves?  If he's just connecting via a Cat5e cable from the network port on his PC to a port on the router, I don't know why he's being challenged for credentials.

Unless the router has some sort of security on it.  If it does, then that's a router issue.

Rather than speculate, let's get that screenshot.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (905 Views)
ACE - Expert

Janet_In_Jax - I am thinking that the computer is trying to log on to a wireless network - either yours or someone else. See if you can block the wireless in the computer network access control or shut down the computer & restart it with the wired connection & place & it may select it automatically.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (901 Views)
Contributor

Spoiler

Thanks for both your responses.  As I type, I'm trying the restart with wireless disabled.

His laptop runs Windows 7.  It offers 3 different options to connect to the Internet. Wireless, Broadband PPPoE and dial-up.  I've been following the path for Broadband connection.  The Windows prompt even states that a Username and Password is required for this option.

here is the screen print:  OOPS, it didn't like my inserted image.

I think maybe I was making this harder than it was.  Turning the wireless feature off and rebooting seemed to work.  I guess I thought I needed to actively turn the wired connection on when all I needed to do was turn the wireless off.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5 (884 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Janet_In_Jax - The stuff is so complicated no body can figure it out or remember everything. All we can do is consider the possibilities. That is why forums are so great - more guessers. Glad you got it worked out & thanks for letting us know - so we can try to remember next time.
Message 5 of 5 (877 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.