Nearly 70% of U.S. Homes Have HDTVs

Expert

Nearly 70% of U.S. Homes Have HDTVs

Here is an excerpt from an interesting article on the increase in HDTV ownership found in the link below:

The number of HDTV in U.S. households continues to rise, hitting 69%, according to new consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG), up from 17% in 2006.

That means 52% of U.S. homes have adopted it in the last five years.

The survey also found that a growing number homes have multiple HD sets, with 48% of HDTV households having more than one HDTV. Overall, about one-third of all U.S. households now have multiple HDTV sets -- up from about one-sixth of all households two years ago, and 4% five years ago.

Yet about 45% of TV sets in HD households, and close to 60% of all TV sets in the US, are not HDTVs, which means a great deal of viewing still occurs in standard-definition.

"In just the past five years, over half of all US households have adopted HDTV, bringing the total to nearly 70% of all households having at least one HDTV set" said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "While lower prices have helped to expand the base of HD households, and those who have multiple HDTV sets, still close to 60% of all TV sets in US households are not HDTVs -- this provides ample opportunity for the sale of more HDTV sets going forward."

The findings are based on a survey of 1,302 households throughout the United States for the new LRG study, "HDTV and 3D TV 2011." It is the ninth annual iteration of the HD study.

The survey also found relatively robust demand for new HD sets, despite poor economic conditions. About 21% of all households purchased a new TV set in the past 12 months, and 19% of all households plan to purchase a new TV set in the next 12 months.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/478497-Nearly_70_of_U_S_Homes_Have_HDTVs_Leichtman_Research.php

Message 1 of 27
ACE - Expert

Re: Nearly 70% of U.S. Homes Have HDTVs

Since the HD sets exceed the SD sets by such a great margin the HD channels should now be moved to the primary numbering (below 1000) and the SD channels moved to the secondary numbering (above 1000).

Since the original number scheme was implemented to favor the majority (SD) viewers over the less deployed HD, it is only fair to reverse the numbering plan now that the set deployment is reversed.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 27
Expert

aviewer wrote:
Since the HD sets exceed the SD sets by such a great margin the HD channels should now be moved to the primary numbering (below 1000) and the SD channels moved to the secondary numbering (above 1000).

Actually, that is not what the survey says:

Yet about 45% of TV sets in HD households, and close to 60% of all TV sets in the US, are not HDTVs, which means a great deal of viewing still occurs in standard-definition.

Message 3 of 27
Expert

Furthermore, on those 40% of all TVs that are HD, not all the programming viewed on them is in HD. Depending on the channel desired and the provider/method of reception, the programming may be in SD anyway even on the HD sets.

I would say that at least 67% (2/3rds) of programming or more is still watched in SD.
Message 4 of 27

I have 3 HDTVs and two of them are on nothing but HD if I'm watching. The 3rd is in my 3yo's room and Nick Jr. isn't in HD.  Disney is though.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 27
Expert

We replaced 4 of our 5 with HDTVs and haven't looked back.  There is a great improvement in the amount of heat they generate in a room, compared to the old SDs.

Never replaced the 5th TV, it just got recycled.  Coax run is still on a splitter to my office, but with carpet getting removed, it will need to be wired through the attic, or would need a Wireless box. Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 27
Moved:

Message 7 of 27
Scholar

I need to save some penny's and upgrade mine
I still have a 15yr Old Panasonic widescreen tv lol

It's done really well I think Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 27
Master

It should be about time for providers to quit charging for HD versus SD when its this mainstream even the local channels OTA here are at least 90% HD programing.

This to me is like charging for color versus black & white.

Message 9 of 27
Expert

Agree, but you know they won't.
Message 10 of 27
Expert

If they said they were going to stop charging for HD channels they would only make up the charge some other way.  KIind of like Bank Of A******.

Message 11 of 27
Expert

You know it!  Smiley Frustrated

RCSMG wrote:

If they said they were going to stop charging for HD channels they would only make up the charge some other way.  KIind of like Bank Of A******.

Message 12 of 27
Master

What makes it bad you can not purchase a standard definition TV and have not been able to for the last couple of years besides the fact who would want one and once you see HD

there is no going back.

Message 13 of 27
Expert

But I guess until ALL channels are HD (and some content never will be since it's old), they'll get away with charging the fee.  Besides, Comcrap's been doing it for years (their role model?).

There are still some channels (including Premiums) that do not have HD counterparts.

Yeah, I can't go back to SD, unless HD goes black (local news) and I have no choice.

Message 14 of 27
ACE - Master

I think that eventually charging for HD will be passe (that is so 29 seconds ago).  How much extra does it truly cost for U-Verse to carry HD?  Do the encoders,, receivers and parts /pieces to carry HD,  have to be replaced every day? Lol. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 27
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support