Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 22, 2014
3:58:39 AM
View profile
NVG589 and VOIP Device

I just got the Uverse service with a NVG589.  I already had a VOIP service using a Grandstream Handy Tone 286.  The Uverse gateway will not let the VOIP device communicate with the provider.  I have tried numerous configurations without success.  

I tried identifying the VOIP device as an IP passthrough with no success.  I have added a seondary router per several posts in this forum.  I have the secondary router identified as an IP passthrough and the VOIP adapter conneted to it and identified as DMZ without success.  The device works fine at my office which has the exact same secondary router connected to a Cable internet service so it has to be the Uverse Gateway.

I also got the ports used from the VOIP provider and using the Game/NAT options forwarded all of the sets of ports to the device as well as the router.  Still no success.

Any suggestions?

I just got the Uverse service with a NVG589.  I already had a VOIP service using a Grandstream Handy Tone 286.  The Uverse gateway will not let the VOIP device communicate with the provider.  I have tried numerous configurations without success.  

I tried identifying the VOIP device as an IP passthrough with no success.  I have added a seondary router per several posts in this forum.  I have the secondary router identified as an IP passthrough and the VOIP adapter conneted to it and identified as DMZ without success.  The device works fine at my office which has the exact same secondary router connected to a Cable internet service so it has to be the Uverse Gateway.

I also got the ports used from the VOIP provider and using the Game/NAT options forwarded all of the sets of ports to the device as well as the router.  Still no success.

Any suggestions?

NVG589 and VOIP Device

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 12:53:53 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi lancemorris,

I apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your Grandstream Handy Tone 286. To make sure the router is recognizing the device, what IP address is the NVG589 assigning the VOIP device? You can check on the Grandstream or you can login to the NVG589 at http://192.168.1.254 and check the device list. If it is not seeing the device, it may be worth rebooting the equipment or trying a different Ethernet cable or port on the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi lancemorris,

I apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your Grandstream Handy Tone 286. To make sure the router is recognizing the device, what IP address is the NVG589 assigning the VOIP device? You can check on the Grandstream or you can login to the NVG589 at http://192.168.1.254 and check the device list. If it is not seeing the device, it may be worth rebooting the equipment or trying a different Ethernet cable or port on the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: NVG589 and VOIP Device

2 of 5 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 2:44:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

I think I finally have it.  I connected my old router, used it's WAN IP as the passthrough server and then connected the VOIP device to the router and added it to the DMZ on the router.

I think I finally have it.  I connected my old router, used it's WAN IP as the passthrough server and then connected the VOIP device to the router and added it to the DMZ on the router.

3 of 5 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 11:51:10 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi lancemorris,

That is great to hear. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what helped resolve your issue!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi lancemorris,

That is great to hear. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what helped resolve your issue!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 4:01:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

FWIW, I just got the NVG589 a couple of days ago as I am going to be getting a NAS and need giagbit.  

I use Ooma, a VOIP device and a problem surfaced when I was on the phone, my Interent dropped.  Did a restart in the device settings, unplugged it, rescanned for devices. None of that worked.  Finally I treated the NVG589 as a router and pressed and held the red reset button for a few seconds. It immediately found my Ooma device and the problem  disappeared.

Just wanted to post in this thread in case it can help somone else using a VOIP device.

FWIW, I just got the NVG589 a couple of days ago as I am going to be getting a NAS and need giagbit.  

I use Ooma, a VOIP device and a problem surfaced when I was on the phone, my Interent dropped.  Did a restart in the device settings, unplugged it, rescanned for devices. None of that worked.  Finally I treated the NVG589 as a router and pressed and held the red reset button for a few seconds. It immediately found my Ooma device and the problem  disappeared.

Just wanted to post in this thread in case it can help somone else using a VOIP device.

5 of 5 (382 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments