NVG589 Firmware updates?

Tutor

NVG589 Firmware updates?

I received the NVG-589 RG as part of my U-verse package, and while it is a pretty awesome device, it is still lacking a few options.

The one option that puzzles me, though, is the USB port on the back of it. It is currently disabled, and not mentioned anywhere within the configuration pages of the gateway.

Under the "Diagnostics" tab, there is an "Updates" subtab for providing firmware updates for the device. I am hoping that there will someday be a firmware that turns on the USB port and I can plug the printer sitting next to the gateway directly into it (it's not networking enabled), or the portable hard drive I now move between machines.

The trouble is, that updates page says to download the update from your service provider. I can find no information regarding any firmware updates on AT&T's site. Is AT&T planning on giving us, the paying customers, more stuff, or are we stuck at the whims of Corporate Governance?

Message 1 of 4 (4,370 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: NVG589 Firmware updates?

The USB port has not been customer usable on any of the AT&T Routers.  However it is able to be used for the dongle for theAT&T RF remote and for charging but that's about it.

As for updates, those are pushed out from AT&T when available.  So I would say were stuck at the whims of Corporate Governance.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (4,363 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

BeeBeeSA wrote:

The USB port has not been customer usable on any of the AT&T Routers.  However it is able to be used for the dongle for theAT&T RF remote and for charging but that's about it.

As for updates, those are pushed out from AT&T when available.  So I would say were stuck at the whims of Corporate Governance.

BeeBeeSA, I think you mixed the RG's and the receivers in this answer.

The receivers have a USB A port, which has never seemed to serve any other purpose than to power the RF remote dongle.

The RG's (like the NVG 589) normally have a USB B port and—IIRC—you could connect your PC that had a USB A port to it via a standard USB cable for a network connection.  This was useful for PC's that had neither a 802.11a/b/g wireless feature, or an Ethernet port.  This requires PC drivers, and I'm not sure this is supported anymore.  And since most computers come with either wireless or an Ethernet port (or both), this is not as useful as it once was.

However, as BeeBeeSA said, for both types of devices, AT&T pushes updates when they want you to have them.  There is no facility for downloading them yourself.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4 (4,356 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks JefferMC for the clarification!!  Yes I was a little off on that.......I read one thing and was thinking another.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 4 of 4 (4,345 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.