NVG589 Compatibility with Ethernet Switches

Contributor

NVG589 Compatibility with Ethernet Switches

I got a new NVG589 modem installed today.  Several ports from the old modem ran to 5 and 8 port TRENDNET gigabit ethernet switches to support multiple wired devices in a couple of locations in the house.  With the new modem, the ethernet signal to the switches does not work at all.  When the cat-5 cable is run directly to a local device it is fine, but if the cable is connected to the switch, the devices in the switch ports will not register and get an IP address.  Any ideas on how to configure the NVG589 to work with a switch?  Just don't have enough wired connections without a few switches in my home network.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (1,151 Views)
Contributor

Re: NVG589 Compatibility with Ethernet Switches

I use them with switches regularly without having to configure. Out of curiosity , are these switches all gigabit? I encountered one not functioning recently with an old(very old) switch. When that was removed from the network all devices came back online.
Message 2 of 6 (1,145 Views)
Expert

You may also need to check your cabling. The 2Wire/Pace and older Motorola modems are only 10/100 Mbps and use only 4 of the 8 wires. The Gigabit ports on the NVG589 use all 8 wires and must negotiate with the other device. If your cabling is not connecting all 8 wires, or not connecting them in the proper order in accordance with EIA/TIA-568B, or is not at least category 5e compliant, then it's likely that the link will not come up.
Message 3 of 6 (1,097 Views)
Contributor

They are brand new Trendnet Gigabit switches.  TEG-S50g and TEG-S80g - 5 port and 8 port.  No signal passes through the switch.  Worked fine with the old Motorola gateway.

Message 4 of 6 (1,008 Views)
Contributor

Thanks.  How do I confirm the cable is compliant?  Is there a reference document?  Would really like the extra ports as it is a lot easier to configure the network with the switches in place behind the gateway.

Message 5 of 6 (1,007 Views)
Expert

There's not an easy way to determine if the cable is at fault without an Ethernet cable tester. I recommend using a known good Ethernet cable (factory-made, category 5e or category 6) and seeing if that works. If so, your other cable is bad. If it doesn't work either, then something is wrong with your switches or with the NVG589.
Message 6 of 6 (990 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.