NVG510 WiFi Security

Tutor

NVG510 WiFi Security

How do I, or should I,  change the PASSWORD for using the NVG510 router in the WiFi mode?  I currently have the wireless turned off but it is easy to turn back on.  Should I change the password, etc for security reasons?  I am always concerned about people 'stealing' my WiFi'.  I have the manual for the NVG510 but reading it is like Greek to me-the more I read the more confused I get. Thank you  all

Dan

Message 1 of 2

Re: NVG510 WiFi Security

Hello Dan,

There is no universal default network key, so there is not much of a chance that anyone would have it readily available, unless they already have access to you network, or have physical access to your Residential Gateway. (For your convenience, the default key is printed on the side of your RG, and your current network key will be available on the Residential Gateway Portal.) Typically most users will change thier network key to something that is easy to remember.

That being said, if you'd like to change your Wireless Network Key,

1. Open your browser and navigate to the Residential Gateway Portal. (http://192.168.1.254)
  2. Click on the Home Network tab, and then click on Wireless.
  3. Type in your Access Code. It will be found printed on a label on your RG. (Note: It is not the same as the Network Key.)
  4. Change the Security setting to WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access-PreShared Key) or WEP Manual (Wired Equivalent Privacy)*
  5. Type your desired Network Key in the text-box labeled "Key"
  6. Click Save.

*WEP is older, has many vulnerabilities, and modern computers make it easier to exploit those vulnerabilities. I recommend you use WPA over WEP, WPA is more secure, and introduces features that help seal the vulnerabilities of WEP. 

To further address your concerns about unauthorized use of your wireless network, there are some measures you can take to help further secure your network. (That being said, they're not foolproof. If someone really wants access to your network and they have the technical knowledge to do so, they can manage to jump through the hoops. However, the chances of that are very unlikely.)

You can take the following steps to help further secure your network.

1. Create a whitelist. A whitelist is a list of your device's unique MAC address that the Residential Gateway's MAC filter will use to determine which wireless devices can access your network. In order for new wireless devices to connect to your network, their MAC address will need to be added to the whitelist. (Wired Connections are unaffected.)
  2. Change your Network Key. Remember, in order to create a strong network key, you should use numbers, uppercase characters, lowercase characters, avoid common number sequences and use of solely dictionary words. (purple1234, for example is a bad Network Key, PuRple1423 is good, but P1uR2pL34 is better.) 
  3. Change your SSID. When changing your SSID, also called Network Name, avoid use of solely dictionary words.
  4. Hide your SSID. I, personally, think this one is overkill. Especially if you're already using steps 1-3. However, when you hide your SSID, any new devices you want to add to your network will need for you to input both the correct SSID and Network Key. 
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support