NVG510 How to remove devices from home network device list (prevent devices from accessing internet)

Tutor

NVG510 How to remove devices from home network device list (prevent devices from accessing internet)

Hi there!

I have an NVG510 and I would like to be able to periodically permanently clear the device list so I know who is accessing our internet at that moment in time.  My kids have had their friends over and allowed them to access our internet (which I am fine with)-- but I would like to prevent them from just sitting outside at random times and accessing the internet without our permission.  I'd also like to disable the xbox from accessing the internet occasionally (and don't tell me to unplug it or tell them "no"--the kids are bigger than I am and it is easier to just shut it off and make access inconvenient enough to make them think about what they are doing-- ie, "blip, oops I'm offline--well, I wasn't supposed to be on this long anyhow.")

I press "clear device list" and things disappear but as soon as I "scan for devices", they all show back up even if they are "off".  

Also-- how do I give all devices a name so I know what they are when I access the gateway settings?  ie, my phone has a name--my home computer has a name--but my nook does not, just an IPv4 address.  

Message 1 of 6 (28,395 Views)
Tutor

Re: NVG510 How to remove devices from home network device list (prevent devices from accessing inter

For some reason, the forum would only allow me to post this question in "the uverse lounge"-- I am sure it doesn't belong here :-(
Message 2 of 6 (28,391 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: NVG510 How to remove devices from home network device list (prevent devices from accessing inter

Pressing CLEAR just clears the list of addresses the RG has seen.  As soon as it "sees" them again, they'll return to the list.

You can set up MAC filters to prevent addresses from connecting, but that would be high maintenance (unblock when they come over, block when they leave).  Devices that report names (e.g. Windows PC's) show up with names in the list.  Some versions of the RG firmware have allowed you to assign names to some devices, but they usually didn't survive an RG reboot, making this exercise rather fruitless.

What you might want to do is get a third party wireless router that has time of day filtering and specific guest access and hook that up behind your RG as described in post 2 in this thread.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (28,377 Views)
Tutor

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. It would make perfect sense that when you 'scan for devices' it will show all devices it 'sees'. But nothing about this device makes much sense. What actually happens is that when you clear, then scan, it seems to show all the devices it has ever seen, plus any new ones. Which means the list keeps growing, and presumably allocating IP addresses until it runs out. I have the same issue, and I now have 43 devices listed with IP addresses, even though I only have 4 actual devices currently (and no, I'm pretty sure these arent my neighbors who are mooching off my wifi). The list has been growing ever since this thing was installed 18 months ago. Rebooting has no effect. Presumably a hard reset would be the only way to clear it. This thing is such a pile of junk.

Message 4 of 6 (27,854 Views)
Curator

My list is huge too but even a reset where I push teh reset button for 20 seconds doesn't get rid of the big list.  Any tips on how to clear it for sure?

Message 5 of 6 (24,464 Views)
Contributor

I know this post is old but I see that it's had a lot of views.

Basically, I've got two teens who refuse to put down their phones to do homework, housework or go to sleep and I've been going bonkers trying to figure this out.  They say there's an app for that but right now, there isn't. 

Here is my fix that works.

1.  Log into your ATT (uverse, etc) router using the login credentials you'll find on the side of it.  Once there, to LAN tab and look to the bottom for a list of wireless devices.  If you're given your phones names as I have, you'll see them there listed as "active".  Click on the device details button and look for the Hardware Address that looks something like this:  e):b5:2e:3c:55:cb.  This is the same thing as your wifi address if you look at your iphone system settings.  You now have the info needed to turn off the wifi on specific devices.

2.  Go to MAC filtering and click on Edit Blocked/Allowed Device List.  (from the LAN tab, selecting Wireless below that)  Now find your kid's MAC address and add it to the Blocked devices box.  Then hit enable Mac filtering and SAVE then your kids phones will be blocked from using wifi. 

3.  Next step is to log into your ATT wireless account and find the specific phone you want to suspend from service and BAMMO....your kid now has no wifi and now cell service.  Can't Netflix, text, surf the next or nothing until you log back in to both sites and unsuspend cell service and uncheck the Enable Mac Filtering box and save the changes.  Nice, eh!

One hiccup is that they have to manually rejoin the wifi network so make sure they do that and don't burn up your GB's on cell service.

I just did it to my teens and I can hardly wait to see if they come downstairs in the middle of the night to complain their phones are working!  HEY, you're not supposed to be on the phone anyway, right!!!

Ok, good luck.

Message 6 of 6 (22,707 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.