Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 21, 2012
6:53:15 AM
View profile
NVG510 DHCP Reservation/ assign static IP to DHCP client

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to assign static IPs to DHCP clients, either through the web interface or via CLI.  Does anyone know how?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to assign static IPs to DHCP clients, either through the web interface or via CLI.  Does anyone know how?

NVG510 DHCP Reservation/ assign static IP to DHCP client

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2012 7:46:54 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Oct 21, 2012 at 7:50:15 AM

carranzahouse wrote:

I do not believe the NVG510 has the ability to "Reserve" an IP address for a particular device. You could try messing with the DHCP lease time. The standard format for lease time is dd:hh:mm:ss, sometimes setting the lease time to zero will cause a router to give an infinite lease time. So, you could try setting the lease time to 00:00:00:00 and see if that works.

If messing with the lease time does not work, you will have to set your devices individually for static IP. I would narrow the DHCP pool in the NVG510 down to four or five addreses. So, if the DHCP pool is set to 192.168.0.100 starting address, and 192.168.0.199 ending address, change the ending address to 192.168.0.104. When you're assigning static addresses to your individual devices be sure to use an address that's in the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP pool like 192.168.0.99 or 192.168.0.106. Be sure the subnet mask is the same (255.255.255.0).

If you have any other questions, just ask.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

carranzahouse wrote:

I do not believe the NVG510 has the ability to "Reserve" an IP address for a particular device. You could try messing with the DHCP lease time. The standard format for lease time is dd:hh:mm:ss, sometimes setting the lease time to zero will cause a router to give an infinite lease time. So, you could try setting the lease time to 00:00:00:00 and see if that works.

If messing with the lease time does not work, you will have to set your devices individually for static IP. I would narrow the DHCP pool in the NVG510 down to four or five addreses. So, if the DHCP pool is set to 192.168.0.100 starting address, and 192.168.0.199 ending address, change the ending address to 192.168.0.104. When you're assigning static addresses to your individual devices be sure to use an address that's in the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP pool like 192.168.0.99 or 192.168.0.106. Be sure the subnet mask is the same (255.255.255.0).

If you have any other questions, just ask.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: NVG510 DHCP Reservation/ assign static IP to DHCP client

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (5,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 11:01:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T and Motorola have decided, in their infinite wisdom, that you do not need this ability. The only solutions I've seen so far are:

1. Smash your Motorola NVG510 with a hammer, cancel your AT&T U-verse service, and find a local provider who understands you want to configure your network your way, not AT&T's way.
  2. Put the NVG510 in Passthrough mode to use it solely as a modem and, at your own expense, but a router (preferably one that runs DD-WRT) that will allow you to configure your network your way, not Motorola's way.

Personally, I'm still debating which one to choose for our network.

AT&T and Motorola have decided, in their infinite wisdom, that you do not need this ability. The only solutions I've seen so far are:

1. Smash your Motorola NVG510 with a hammer, cancel your AT&T U-verse service, and find a local provider who understands you want to configure your network your way, not AT&T's way.
  2. Put the NVG510 in Passthrough mode to use it solely as a modem and, at your own expense, but a router (preferably one that runs DD-WRT) that will allow you to configure your network your way, not Motorola's way.

Personally, I'm still debating which one to choose for our network.

3 of 4 (3,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 10:55:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

I can't find a place to set a static/reserved address either. However, in 'device list', there was a Laser Jet printer and the allocation is 'static'. I managed to set my cell phone to a static address from its menus.

So the router is aware of the possibilty but just won't do it from its end?

I can't find a place to set a static/reserved address either. However, in 'device list', there was a Laser Jet printer and the allocation is 'static'. I managed to set my cell phone to a static address from its menus.

So the router is aware of the possibilty but just won't do it from its end?

4 of 4 (3,192 Views)