NBC Sports Group Lands NASCAR Deal

Expert

NBC Sports Group Lands NASCAR Deal

Message 1 of 12 (892 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: NBC Sports Group Lands NASCAR Deal

I would prefer the team from Fox Sports for the entire season. It isn't the same the second half without old DW and his "Boogity, boogity, boogity! Let's go racing boys!"

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (839 Views)

I posted that in the Lounge as well. NBC is going to also have the modified series and the Mexico series.  Between F1, Indy and now NASCAR, NBC is looking to be the motorsports network.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 3 of 12 (777 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

dwinth wrote:

I would prefer the team from Fox Sports for the entire season. It isn't the same the second half without old DW and his "Boogity, boogity, boogity! Let's go racing boys!"

I agree FOX is the leader.  TNT was b-a-d.  They missed key things in the race because they were still going on about something that happened 15 laps ago.  ESPN has been hinting that it wanted to reduce its NASCAR coverage, a bit so it's not totally surprising. 

I can only wish and hope that all Cup races, go to broadcast TV so more folks can see them but even FOX has hinted that some will move to FS1. Smiley Sad

re: Losing ESPN.  When ESPN went away in 2000, NASCAR, as a brand started to tank.  Could it do that again, moving away from "The Sports Leader?"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12 (775 Views)

[ Edited ]

dwinth wrote:

"...and Danica"  (I think he did say "Let's go racing, drivers!" at least once.)
I noticed that NBC's contract is for 20 races, while Fox's was for just the first 13 - this leaves 3 races in limbo for the moment.  (In fact, NASCAR knows this - according to Steve Herbst, NASCAR’s Vice President of Broadcasting and Production:
“With that announcement (with FOX) and today, the puzzle is almost complete,’’ Herbst said. “We still have first-half Nationwide and some Cup races to place and we expect them to be placed very soon. Talks around that part of the package are going very well.’’
I wonder if the final deal will have Fox air the races from the Daytona 500 to the race before the Daytona night race (the Firecracker / Pepsi / Coke Zero 400), with NBC airing the rest of the season starting with that race.  This would be like the original 2001 contract, except that the networks alternated airing the two Daytona races.
One problem: presumably, the final race (Homestead) will be on NBC - but what if there's a rain delay and it runs up against NBC's football coverage?
Message 5 of 12 (744 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

That Don Guy wrote:

dwinth wrote:

"...and Danica"  (I think he did say "Let's go racing, drivers!" at least once.)
I noticed that NBC's contract is for 20 races, while Fox's was for just the first 13 - this leaves 3 races in limbo for the moment.  (In fact, NASCAR knows this - according to Steve Herbst, NASCAR’s Vice President of Broadcasting and Production:
“With that announcement (with FOX) and today, the puzzle is almost complete,’’ Herbst said. “We still have first-half Nationwide and some Cup races to place and we expect them to be placed very soon. Talks around that part of the package are going very well.’’
I wonder if the final deal will have Fox air the races from the Daytona 500 to the race before the Daytona night race (the Firecracker / Pepsi / Coke Zero 400), with NBC airing the rest of the season starting with that race.  This would be like the original 2001 contract, except that the networks alternated airing the two Daytona races.
One problem: presumably, the final race (Homestead) will be on NBC - but what if there's a rain delay and it runs up against NBC's football coverage?

They could move the race (or the game) to CNBC, NBC Sports and so on.

I am curious about announcing teams.  I do not like Adam Alexander or Kyle Petty but do like Wally.  Wally and Allen Bestwick worked well together, at NBC, IIRC.   I hope that they "just say no" to Bill Weber - he's a tool.  I also don't like Marty Reid (he could not even remember Andy Petree's name and just said "Uh, I  know you").  I like Dale Jarrett, Petree, Larry Mac and Brad Daugherty among others.  I sure miss Benny, Ned J.,  and Niel Bonnett.

Message 6 of 12 (726 Views)
ACE - Professor

That Don Guy wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Despite the presence of Danica Patrick on the Sprint Cup schedule, old DW (Darrell Waltrip) still says "Let's go racing, boys". The use of the word, "drivers" just does not sound right. There are too many shirts and hats out there that have the word "boys" on them. Here is a You Tube compilation of old DW from 2011, a year before Danica started racing Sprint Cup.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Message 7 of 12 (704 Views)

dwinth wrote:

Despite the presence of Danica Patrick on the Sprint Cup schedule, old DW (Darrell Waltrip) still says "Let's go racing, boys". The use of the word, "drivers" just does not sound right. There are too many shirts and hats out there that have the word "boys" on them. Here is a You Tube compilation of old DW from 2011, a year before Danica started racing Sprint Cup.

Most of the time, when she's in the race, he does - but at the Southern 500, it was definitely "drivers", and I'm fairly sure it was "boys and Danica" in the Gatorade Duel race she was in at Daytona.

"The use of the word 'drivers' just does not sound right" - the very words of the people who complain when the command to start engines is anything other than, "Gentlemen, start your engines".  (There were all sorts of variations when Janet Guthrie was racing; if I remember correctly, at her first Indianapolis 500, the command was something like, "With respect to the first woman to qualify...Gentlemen, Start Your Engines", but after that, Mary Hulman George took over, and "Lady (or Ladies, as appropriate) and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" became the command at Indy when it wasn't an all-male field.)

I think they should make it a running gag - have DW say, "Let's go racing, boys!", and then the other two in the booth add, "...and Danica".

Message 8 of 12 (606 Views)
ACE - Master

More has came out on the 2015 and beyond TV package.  ESPN and TNT did not even bid on NASCAR! Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 12 (584 Views)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

More has came out on the 2015 and beyond TV package.  ESPN and TNT did not even bid on NASCAR! Smiley Surprised

ESPN said they were backing off Nascar after next season and didn't bid for 2015.  They didn't offer anything to TNT as it always got bad comments about their coverage, they were more like minor league announcers.  They were my least liked. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 10 of 12 (545 Views)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

dhascall wrote:

ESPN said they were backing off Nascar after next season and didn't bid for 2015.  They didn't offer anything to TNT as it always got bad comments about their coverage, they were more like minor league announcers.  They were my least liked. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

TNT did not even bid.   I don't think NASCAR precluded them from bidding.  They did not see the $ in it, just like ESPN discovered.  TNT served NASCAR and the other networks well as those mid summer races were traditionally low in viewership and FOX nor NBC (the first time) wanted thise races, .

Message 11 of 12 (520 Views)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

They could move the race (or the game) to CNBC, NBC Sports and so on.

I am curious about announcing teams.  I do not like Adam Alexander or Kyle Petty but do like Wally.  Wally and Allen Bestwick worked well together, at NBC, IIRC.   I hope that they "just say no" to Bill Weber - he's a tool.  I also don't like Marty Reid (he could not even remember Andy Petree's name and just said "Uh, I  know you").  I like Dale Jarrett, Petree, Larry Mac and Brad Daugherty among others.  I sure miss Benny, Ned J.,  and Niel Bonnett.

Big news "stories" about NASCAR.

1. NASCAR writer Mike Mulhern (who's stories are sometimes total rumor or partial fiction) said a few weeks back that ESPN and TNT are looking to sell their 2014 rights to NBC.  I figured that as a distinct possibility as many lame duck situations have been handled like that before.

2) Marty Reid has been fired from ESPN.  He had been with them since 1982.  1982!  One article pointed to his most recent gaffe, calling the race over a lap early (and see above for yet another error from last year) but I'm betting that ESPN is starting to gut their motorsports teams to save $ and clear folks out.

Message 12 of 12 (408 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.