Explore & discover

Helpful Links

My service was suspended, you bill me for new service when its been suspended?

My service was suspended, you bill me for new service when its been suspended?

Well after speaking with the rude robot at att, who refused to transfer to supervisor, I have no choice but to speak my situation and frustration with uverse. Long time customer, can't afford monthly bills on minimum internet and cable. Service was suspended a month ago. Meantime I discovered Netflix and $8.99/mo is alot more affordable than $123/mo. Equipment was disconnected and waiting for UPS shipment. I got a bill. Apparently it is legal for att to charge for new services when my service has been suspended. How does been that work? My understanding of suspended is to "hold everything" until payment received, not
"hold service but keep charging for new services". even of I paid my balance of $237 I still cannot get service until I ALSO pay a "restoral" fee per service. Well... WHY IS THERE A RESTORAL FEE UNLESS the service was suspended so what then GIVES ATT THE ABILITY TO CHARGE FOR new services? The services are suspended and need to be restored first, right? See where I'm going with this? You can't legally charge for services you know the customer isn't receiving. That is criminal. I acknowledge what I owe and was going to pay in lieu of the bogus charges BUT since the robot told me if I don't pay the $360 in full I'll be sent to collections. Now what incentive do I have to pay for services I did use when there's still gonna be a balance and and I'll to collections anyhow. So my attitude now is screw it, they're sending me to collections anyhow... What's the point? I have a $350 gas bill that I can put that money towards. ATT, if your going to nickel and dime me for ludicrous charges when clearly my account was suspended then go ahead and send me off to collections. Your then going to lose the whole balance as opposed to me paying off what I acknowledge $237 NOT $360. Nice knowing you for 5 years, I be sure to refer my clients, friends and family to you.
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Master

Re: My service was suspended, you bill me for new service when its been suspended?

@gowithnetflix wrote:
Well after speaking with the rude robot at att, who refused to transfer to supervisor, I have no choice but to speak my situation and frustration with uverse. Long time customer, can't afford monthly bills on minimum internet and cable. Service was suspended a month ago. Meantime I discovered Netflix and $8.99/mo is alot more affordable than $123/mo. Equipment was disconnected and waiting for UPS shipment. I got a bill. Apparently it is legal for att to charge for new services when my service has been suspended. How does been that work? My understanding of suspended is to "hold everything" until payment received, not
"hold service but keep charging for new services". even of I paid my balance of $237 I still cannot get service until I ALSO pay a "restoral" fee per service. Well... WHY IS THERE A RESTORAL FEE UNLESS the service was suspended so what then GIVES ATT THE ABILITY TO CHARGE FOR new services? The services are suspended and need to be restored first, right? See where I'm going with this? You can't legally charge for services you know the customer isn't receiving. That is criminal. I acknowledge what I owe and was going to pay in lieu of the bogus charges BUT since the robot told me if I don't pay the $360 in full I'll be sent to collections. Now what incentive do I have to pay for services I did use when there's still gonna be a balance and and I'll to collections anyhow. So my attitude now is screw it, they're sending me to collections anyhow... What's the point? I have a $350 gas bill that I can put that money towards. ATT, if your going to nickel and dime me for ludicrous charges when clearly my account was suspended then go ahead and send me off to collections. Your then going to lose the whole balance as opposed to me paying off what I acknowledge $237 NOT $360. Nice knowing you for 5 years, I be sure to refer my clients, friends and family to you.

During a suspension for non-payment, AT&T keeps the account open and the customer can start service by only paying the past-due balance. During this time, the account is active (even though it can not be used) and charges accrue as normal.

If you know you do not want your service any longer, it is your responsibility to disconnect the service to make sure further charges do not continue to accrue.

Also keep in mind that AT&T bills a month in advance. Therefore, it's possible a bil was sent for Jan. 1 to Jan 31 (for example), and then service was disconnected on Jan. 8. In that case, a corrected bill would be sent indicating there is no charge for service after Jan. 7.

If you need more detailed help with your particular situation, I'd recommend sending a private message to AT&T customer care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: My service was suspended, you bill me for new service when its been suspended?

That's nonsense.  It's a known fact that no cable/internet service providers like AT&T will "deactivate" or disconnect a service at your request until you have paid in full.  Them keeping it, supposedly, active (we all know that's a ridiculous word to use) allows for AT&T and others to keep "cramming" charges and pad up the bill.  Which is a violation.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support