Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 17, 2014
6:50:59 AM
View profile
My security information is all wrong?

A while back I had a uverse account switched over to my name from that of a previous tenant.  Now I'm finding out that the security information was never changed!  I'm getting billed but I can't get into the information to find out anything about my account.  The phone number is mine but that's all I have, I don't have any of the other information.  What am I supposed to do?  I can't get in touch with the guy who used to live here and I'm being expected to pay without any information.

A while back I had a uverse account switched over to my name from that of a previous tenant.  Now I'm finding out that the security information was never changed!  I'm getting billed but I can't get into the information to find out anything about my account.  The phone number is mine but that's all I have, I don't have any of the other information.  What am I supposed to do?  I can't get in touch with the guy who used to live here and I'm being expected to pay without any information.

My security information is all wrong?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 7:00:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

Explain your situation and they should be able to resolve.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Since this is account specific I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

Explain your situation and they should be able to resolve.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My security information is all wrong?

2 of 6 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 1:14:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well, 5 phone calls later it's halway resolved.  Still haven't got an explanation for why a bill I was never sent got turned over to collections.  Moral of the story:  Don't use AT&T.

Well, 5 phone calls later it's halway resolved.  Still haven't got an explanation for why a bill I was never sent got turned over to collections.  Moral of the story:  Don't use AT&T.

3 of 6 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 1:26:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

JeseC wrote:

No, the moral of the story is you should always start your own account and not transfer ownership.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

JeseC wrote:

No, the moral of the story is you should always start your own account and not transfer ownership.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 10:08:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I called AT&T up when I moved into the place, said we had a router and internet and I wanted to have internet in my name.  Told them the full story, it was a rental place and the last tenant had been paying.  Their employee is the one that decided this whole mess was the way to go in the first place. Sorry, I'm not taking responsibility for knowing how their system works - that's their job.  And I'm definitely not happy about having to spend hours on the phone because they couldn't figure out how to fix their own mistake.

I called AT&T up when I moved into the place, said we had a router and internet and I wanted to have internet in my name.  Told them the full story, it was a rental place and the last tenant had been paying.  Their employee is the one that decided this whole mess was the way to go in the first place. Sorry, I'm not taking responsibility for knowing how their system works - that's their job.  And I'm definitely not happy about having to spend hours on the phone because they couldn't figure out how to fix their own mistake.

5 of 6 (202 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 8:40:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jimna01 on Mar 1, 2014 at 8:50:21 PM

It's not your security information it's the prior owners. AT&T if they really understood the issue they should have never suggested this course of action because the account history traveled with change.  In my rental properties, the only accounts that get transferred are power, gas and water.  In realty the transfer proceSS means the prior accounts are closed and a new account is established in my name. When the tenant opens a new account , my account is closed an new one is opened in the tenants name. Therefore I am not responsible for the tenants actions. (Like over due bills etc).   You as renter should know  that you need to open up all utility accounts and any other account for which you are responsible for in your name and not carry over from the prior tenant.  This is standard practice in realestate transactions whether that is a rental or sale.   At this point you should call AT&T and as much as you can insist account be closed. Of course because you are not the true account holder, you may not have much leverage.   You may need to engage your landlord and  have them contact the prior tenant and remind them to terminate  the service.  At this point you may be liable for the prior tennants accounts and bills. If all else fails return the equipment to AT&T and that may force a termination of the prior account.  Then after the account is cleared open an new account in your name

It's not your security information it's the prior owners. AT&T if they really understood the issue they should have never suggested this course of action because the account history traveled with change.  In my rental properties, the only accounts that get transferred are power, gas and water.  In realty the transfer proceSS means the prior accounts are closed and a new account is established in my name. When the tenant opens a new account , my account is closed an new one is opened in the tenants name. Therefore I am not responsible for the tenants actions. (Like over due bills etc).   You as renter should know  that you need to open up all utility accounts and any other account for which you are responsible for in your name and not carry over from the prior tenant.  This is standard practice in realestate transactions whether that is a rental or sale.   At this point you should call AT&T and as much as you can insist account be closed. Of course because you are not the true account holder, you may not have much leverage.   You may need to engage your landlord and  have them contact the prior tenant and remind them to terminate  the service.  At this point you may be liable for the prior tennants accounts and bills. If all else fails return the equipment to AT&T and that may force a termination of the prior account.  Then after the account is cleared open an new account in your name

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (163 Views)