Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 12, 2013
8:03:25 AM
View profile
My phone has terrible static on it.

My phone was clear as a bell with Time Warner, now with u verse I can hardly talk on it because of static.

My phone was clear as a bell with Time Warner, now with u verse I can hardly talk on it because of static.

My phone has terrible static on it.

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:14:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

We'll see if we can help you with your issue.  First of all, a question or three:

Is your phone connected directly to the Residential Gateway, or is it connected to an outlet?

What kind of phone is it (is it wireless or wired)?

Was your installation performed by an AT&T technician, or was this a self-install?

We'll see if we can help you with your issue.  First of all, a question or three:

Is your phone connected directly to the Residential Gateway, or is it connected to an outlet?

What kind of phone is it (is it wireless or wired)?

Was your installation performed by an AT&T technician, or was this a self-install?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My phone has terrible static on it.

2 of 14 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:20:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

To expand just a little bit on jeffermc's post.....If you have an old plain old telephone set (the old hardwired kind) try plugging it into the jack on the back of the AT&T router marked Line 1 or some are marked Line 1 & 2.  Try placing a call and see if you have static.  If you do it's a problem with AT&T.  If you don't it could be as jeffermc asked above, a problem with your physical phone or it could be your wiring.

Depending on how your set up you might have to unplug the existing cord from the connection mentioned above before you can plug in a regular phone.  Be sure when your done testing to plug any cords you unplugged back in.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

To expand just a little bit on jeffermc's post.....If you have an old plain old telephone set (the old hardwired kind) try plugging it into the jack on the back of the AT&T router marked Line 1 or some are marked Line 1 & 2.  Try placing a call and see if you have static.  If you do it's a problem with AT&T.  If you don't it could be as jeffermc asked above, a problem with your physical phone or it could be your wiring.

Depending on how your set up you might have to unplug the existing cord from the connection mentioned above before you can plug in a regular phone.  Be sure when your done testing to plug any cords you unplugged back in.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 14 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:48:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a uniden phone system with two handsets; I know nothing about an ATT router, but the installation was by ATT.  I understand they used the same set up that Time Warner had.  I cannot understand why suddenly there is static when I did not have it before.

Gloria Beare

(removed for security reasons)

I have a uniden phone system with two handsets; I know nothing about an ATT router, but the installation was by ATT.  I understand they used the same set up that Time Warner had.  I cannot understand why suddenly there is static when I did not have it before.

Gloria Beare

(removed for security reasons)

4 of 14 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:06:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Okay well if you don't know about a router then you must have what is called a land line.  Wait, do you have internet thru AT&T U-verse?  If you do you have to have a router.  Or some call it a modem.  Did you order U-voice service?  If not you might just have a land line.  You can test the land line at the network interface device (NID) normally on the side of your residence typically by the electrical meter.  There is a door marked customer access.  You can unplug the modular plug from there and plug in a phone to test.  Once your plugged in you are on the AT&T side of the cabling.  If there's static it's AT&T's problem, if clear it's something in the house wiring or your phone.

Also many things can cause wiring to go bad and cause static.  Since you said you only have cordless phones is there a neighbor, friend, or relative you might be able to borrow a hardwired phone from?  Just to test?

Okay well if you don't know about a router then you must have what is called a land line.  Wait, do you have internet thru AT&T U-verse?  If you do you have to have a router.  Or some call it a modem.  Did you order U-voice service?  If not you might just have a land line.  You can test the land line at the network interface device (NID) normally on the side of your residence typically by the electrical meter.  There is a door marked customer access.  You can unplug the modular plug from there and plug in a phone to test.  Once your plugged in you are on the AT&T side of the cabling.  If there's static it's AT&T's problem, if clear it's something in the house wiring or your phone.

Also many things can cause wiring to go bad and cause static.  Since you said you only have cordless phones is there a neighbor, friend, or relative you might be able to borrow a hardwired phone from?  Just to test?

5 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:14:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

I do have the modem. I will look outside by the electrical meter and see what I can find. I do have u verse service.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

I do have the modem. I will look outside by the electrical meter and see what I can find. I do have u verse service.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

6 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:33:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Okay if you do have a modem then that's where the dial tone is likely originating from.  Look on the back of that and you should see a plug marked Line 1 or Line 1 and 2.  Here is a document with pictures showing what I'm talking about.  NVG510 Installation

Okay if you do have a modem then that's where the dial tone is likely originating from.  Look on the back of that and you should see a plug marked Line 1 or Line 1 and 2.  Here is a document with pictures showing what I'm talking about.  NVG510 Installation

7 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 12:24:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the help. There was no static when I plugged into the router. What continues to puzzle me is why it started when I changed services. Is there a recommended new phone to buy?

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

Thanks for the help. There was no static when I plugged into the router. What continues to puzzle me is why it started when I changed services. Is there a recommended new phone to buy?

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

8 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 12:59:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Depending on how old the Uniden Cordless Phones are they could be using the same frequency (2.4Ghz) as the AT&T wireless signal from the modem.  You can try to see if your Uniden has options to change the channel (not frequency) it operates on.  If the channel it's using is the same as the wireless from the modem it would cause this issue.  If your phones don't have that option you can try changing the channel for the wireless in the AT&T modem.

Or go one step further and just get new cordless Dect 6.0 phones.  They operate out of the wireless frequency of the AT&T modem.

As an example: EL51200 - AT&T® Telephone Store

Depending on how old the Uniden Cordless Phones are they could be using the same frequency (2.4Ghz) as the AT&T wireless signal from the modem.  You can try to see if your Uniden has options to change the channel (not frequency) it operates on.  If the channel it's using is the same as the wireless from the modem it would cause this issue.  If your phones don't have that option you can try changing the channel for the wireless in the AT&T modem.

Or go one step further and just get new cordless Dect 6.0 phones.  They operate out of the wireless frequency of the AT&T modem.

As an example: EL51200 - AT&T® Telephone Store

9 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 1:20:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks so much. I have had it several years. It is 5.8GHZ. I see no options. It seems the static fluctuates as I just got a call and it was not too bad. However, an hour ago I got a call and it was awful.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

Thanks so much. I have had it several years. It is 5.8GHZ. I see no options. It seems the static fluctuates as I just got a call and it was not too bad. However, an hour ago I got a call and it was awful.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

10 of 14 (2,311 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:41:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's going to be one of two things.  Either your cordless phones or your wiring has mysteriously developed static.  One last thing you might try is to plug in your cordless base station into the modem and use it like that to see if it acts up.  If it stays clear hooked up that way then you know the AT&T equipment is good, the phone is good, so it must be your wiring to the jacks in the house.

It's going to be one of two things.  Either your cordless phones or your wiring has mysteriously developed static.  One last thing you might try is to plug in your cordless base station into the modem and use it like that to see if it acts up.  If it stays clear hooked up that way then you know the AT&T equipment is good, the phone is good, so it must be your wiring to the jacks in the house.

11 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:46:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks so much for your help. Ironically, I just got an email saying my community forum entry had been rejected.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

Thanks so much for your help. Ironically, I just got an email saying my community forum entry had been rejected.

Sent from my iPad

Gloria Beare

12 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 7:24:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

testydiag wrote:

...  Ironically, I just got an email saying my community forum entry had been rejected.

That probably happened because you posted the same issue twice in two different areas.  This one stayed, and the other one got removed, I guess.

testydiag wrote:

...  Ironically, I just got an email saying my community forum entry had been rejected.

That probably happened because you posted the same issue twice in two different areas.  This one stayed, and the other one got removed, I guess.

13 of 14 (2,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 7:28:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am new to this so maybe the technology gods will forgive me.

Thank you again for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone

Gloria Beare

I am new to this so maybe the technology gods will forgive me.

Thank you again for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone

Gloria Beare

14 of 14 (2,311 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments