Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 13, 2013
3:43:40 PM
View profile
My home phone service repeatedly become scratchy, inaudible and loses dial tone.

My home phone service repeatedly become scratchy, inaudible and loses dial tone.  service techs have come out several times installing new outlets and wiring.  I had an electrician check my home and could not find any wiring problems.  Any ideas?

My home phone service repeatedly become scratchy, inaudible and loses dial tone.  service techs have come out several times installing new outlets and wiring.  I had an electrician check my home and could not find any wiring problems.  Any ideas?

My home phone service repeatedly become scratchy, inaudible and loses dial tone.

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 4:05:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
sunnyand7777 - All those experts must have tried the low hanging fruit. I believe the most common cause is a bad connection on the analog side.
But, it could be a bad receiver in the phone. How old is the phone? Is it wired or wireless? If it is old wired rap the top of the receiver a few times on an appropriate surface. How about the handset cord? That would be the number one reason for static. Get a new one. Maybe you need a new phone,

You do not say if you have U-verse voice or POTS. If POTS it could be anywhere in your house or upstream. Try a phone known to be static free on the jack in the NID on the side of your house. If you hear static it is upstream in at&t wiring.

If you have U-verse voice - plug the static free phone into the phone jack on the RG. If you hear static, it is either the RG or the connection at the other end of the digital. If no static, the problem is in your house wiring, which you find by disconnecting as much as you can & gradually add back til you hear static.

It is all about isolating the possibilities.
sunnyand7777 - All those experts must have tried the low hanging fruit. I believe the most common cause is a bad connection on the analog side.
But, it could be a bad receiver in the phone. How old is the phone? Is it wired or wireless? If it is old wired rap the top of the receiver a few times on an appropriate surface. How about the handset cord? That would be the number one reason for static. Get a new one. Maybe you need a new phone,

You do not say if you have U-verse voice or POTS. If POTS it could be anywhere in your house or upstream. Try a phone known to be static free on the jack in the NID on the side of your house. If you hear static it is upstream in at&t wiring.

If you have U-verse voice - plug the static free phone into the phone jack on the RG. If you hear static, it is either the RG or the connection at the other end of the digital. If no static, the problem is in your house wiring, which you find by disconnecting as much as you can & gradually add back til you hear static.

It is all about isolating the possibilities.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My home phone service repeatedly become scratchy, inaudible and loses dial tone.

2 of 2 (306 Views)