Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 11, 2014
8:16:02 AM
My VOIP phone (POLYCOM) which is not ATT, is not working right the last couple of days??

I have a POLYCOM VOIP phone, that just in the last couple of days, I cannot go back to answer a call on hold? I have contacted my vendor and this is his response: 

"We have been working with other engineers to isolate this issue and apparently it has been originated by your modem. We will investigate if we can disable what it is doing that is causing the calls to not be retrievable after putting them on hold."

The thing is, I am a remote business and have 3 different offices in different cities, and all the ATT modems  are doing the same thing. When I plug my device into another server from COMCAST, phone works fine. So it is not the device that is having the issue, but the ATT modems or ATT UVERSE itself.

Please let me know if there is something that you can do in your central office to get back to normal ! Were there any upgrades that your customers were not aware of?

Rebooting the modems do not solve this issue.

-Lisa

I have a POLYCOM VOIP phone, that just in the last couple of days, I cannot go back to answer a call on hold? I have contacted my vendor and this is his response: 

"We have been working with other engineers to isolate this issue and apparently it has been originated by your modem. We will investigate if we can disable what it is doing that is causing the calls to not be retrievable after putting them on hold."

The thing is, I am a remote business and have 3 different offices in different cities, and all the ATT modems  are doing the same thing. When I plug my device into another server from COMCAST, phone works fine. So it is not the device that is having the issue, but the ATT modems or ATT UVERSE itself.

Please let me know if there is something that you can do in your central office to get back to normal ! Were there any upgrades that your customers were not aware of?

Rebooting the modems do not solve this issue.

-Lisa

My VOIP phone (POLYCOM) which is not ATT, is not working right the last couple of days??

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 8:44:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
02princess - There are thousands of ports on the IP connection to modem. These provide paths for devices to use to control process - Such as putting a call on hold or retrieving a call that is on hold. There have been many threads of customers with other devices, such as security cameras that have experienced similar problems because the specific ports needed were not open or not available.

Vendors may not want to talk in this detail to ensure security. It is a difficult balance to open the gates for your process, but that detail is necessary to solve the technical problem.

You might press back to ask what ports are used so that you can work with att to find out the status of those ports on your modem.
02princess - There are thousands of ports on the IP connection to modem. These provide paths for devices to use to control process - Such as putting a call on hold or retrieving a call that is on hold. There have been many threads of customers with other devices, such as security cameras that have experienced similar problems because the specific ports needed were not open or not available.

Vendors may not want to talk in this detail to ensure security. It is a difficult balance to open the gates for your process, but that detail is necessary to solve the technical problem.

You might press back to ask what ports are used so that you can work with att to find out the status of those ports on your modem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My VOIP phone (POLYCOM) which is not ATT, is not working right the last couple of days??

2 of 8 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 8:59:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
Who do I need to contact to get this resolved?

I have 3 different ATT modems in 3 different cities, so this sounds more like an internal issue with ATT. If you can give me a reference of who to contact at ATT or what posting on the forum to look for, that would be appreciated. I can probably have my vendor look into this?
Who do I need to contact to get this resolved?

I have 3 different ATT modems in 3 different cities, so this sounds more like an internal issue with ATT. If you can give me a reference of who to contact at ATT or what posting on the forum to look for, that would be appreciated. I can probably have my vendor look into this?

Re: My VOIP phone (POLYCOM) which is not ATT, is not working right the last couple of days??

3 of 8 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:08:16 AM
(0)
Employee

Some ports may be locked by default within the modem, i know i had to go in manually and open up port 6000 i think? when i was unable to host a game but was able to play a hosted game with 6000 closed, maybe the device you have uses a different port for incoming outgoing and on hold? just a thought. Im not sure if you said this has ever worked or if it just started happening. If it just started happening then  well resets happen things get switched on and off for no reason in the electronic world for no apparent reason. Also do you have an IT guy servicing your computers etc? some ports will be locked by ITServices in order to eliminate security breaches or other forms of attck.

Some ports may be locked by default within the modem, i know i had to go in manually and open up port 6000 i think? when i was unable to host a game but was able to play a hosted game with 6000 closed, maybe the device you have uses a different port for incoming outgoing and on hold? just a thought. Im not sure if you said this has ever worked or if it just started happening. If it just started happening then  well resets happen things get switched on and off for no reason in the electronic world for no apparent reason. Also do you have an IT guy servicing your computers etc? some ports will be locked by ITServices in order to eliminate security breaches or other forms of attck.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:21:45 AM
(0)
Employee

just did a quick search and found this:

The ports the phone uses / requires are listed in the UCS Admin Guide, in your example UCS 4.0.1, on page 332 within the Ports Used on Polycom Phones section.

Usually you only need the SIP (5060) and the RTP (2222 => 2269) range.

Set these for UDP and TCP

s0 it looks like ports 2222-2269 in the routers need to be open 

just did a quick search and found this:

The ports the phone uses / requires are listed in the UCS Admin Guide, in your example UCS 4.0.1, on page 332 within the Ports Used on Polycom Phones section.

Usually you only need the SIP (5060) and the RTP (2222 => 2269) range.

Set these for UDP and TCP

s0 it looks like ports 2222-2269 in the routers need to be open 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:29:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Constructive - Thanks for jumping in with the good details.
Constructive - Thanks for jumping in with the good details.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 8 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:32:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes ! Thank you both Constructive and Ace! I have forwarded this info to my vendor.... stand by...
Yes ! Thank you both Constructive and Ace! I have forwarded this info to my vendor.... stand by...

7 of 8 (364 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 11:43:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Also, the voip phones were all working fabulous until just a couple of days ago!
Also, the voip phones were all working fabulous until just a couple of days ago!

8 of 8 (360 Views)