My 3 in 1 (printer, fax, scanner) Fax is not working with Uverse Voice

Contributor

My 3 in 1 (printer, fax, scanner) Fax is not working with Uverse Voice

The fax of my hp 3 in 1 Printer, Fax, and scanner is not playing nice with Uverse Voice.  The fax service does not work.  I understand there is a splitter I can purchase that will plug into the back of the Modem/Router that will split the signal and let my fax think it is plugged directly into the wall socket.  Which is what it needs to think.  But I don't know where to buy the spliter.....I was disconnected from AT&T Technical Support as we were discussing this solution and I was unwilling to go back into the phone tree again.

Thanks,

Runaround

Message 1 of 9 (608 Views)
Employee

Re: My 3 in 1 (printer, fax, scanner) Fax is not working with Uverse Voice

How is unit currently connected, if plugged directly into back of RG, that is the best connection. The splitter should be available at Radio Shack or any department store with phone, electronic dept (wally world for one).

Did you check your fax to make sure VOIP compatible, if needs an analog circuit (pots...plain old telephone service) will not work and need to purchase a fax unit that supports VOIP (digital).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9 (601 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

Since posting my original question I have learned that I need a splitter that will snap into the "lines 1 and 2" socket on the back of the Pace Gateway.  Then I plug my fax phone line into that splitter and the Uverse Voice cable into that splitter.  And then the fax should work.  This splitter is to be a "phone line splitter".  When I use that phrase to search on the internet I can't tell if the splitters I see are the spitter that I need.  Is there a more specific description so I can be sure I am getting what I need.  I don't want a splitter that goes into the wall socket - it must go in the modem/router.  And am I asking for trouble splitting the phone line?  Will it demish my VOIP quality?

Thanks again,

Runaround

Message 3 of 9 (597 Views)
Employee

Two types of splitters
1) same phone number split to two devices...best to plug at wall...cable RG to splitter, cable fax to splitter.
2) two separate phone numbers to one jack, used on 5031 or 3801 RGs (3800 has seperate line 1, line 2 jacks)
On splitter will have imprint L1, L2 plugs into RG, seperate phone data cable to devices or wall for backfeed.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9 (592 Views)
Employee

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 9 (590 Views)
Contributor

And AT&T Tech Support could not tell me that?  I asked for a specific description because I knew there weere different kinds of splitters.  Their answer was a "phone line splitter"!

Message 6 of 9 (560 Views)
ACE - Expert

Looking at the posts I am not sure you are getting any closer to an understanding. This subject cannot be understood using generalities at a high level. You must be able to picture all the connections involved.

BT is providing his usual thorough explanation you need to come at it from a different direction. To go back to the beginning thinking there may be different kinds of jacks depending on what they plug in to. There are are not. There is only one.

The jack standard is RJ-11. You can google for pictures and wiring diagrams that show the two middle prongs carry line 1 and the two outer prongs carry line 2. This applies to all jacks and plugs.

If you have a one line phone it is only connected to the middle prongs.

If you have a two line phone it is connected to both sets of prongs & you select the line by a button.

There are two types of splitters.

A one line/two set and a two line/two set. Note that both have a one connector side and a two connector side. Hence, named splitter. But, how do they split?

For a one line/two set - the one side middle prongs are connected to the two side middle prongs on both jacks. This treats the source as one line and the two side as multiples of that one line.

For a two line/two set - The middle prongs of the one side are connected to the middle prongs of the first jack on the two side. The outer prongs of the one side are connected to the inner prongs of the second jack on the two side. This allows two sets to separately access the two lines in the source jack.

It is like three dimensional chess. Draw out the wires & connect them as you follow the description & you will gain an understanding of what is a one line splitter and what is a two line splitter.

Back to the bottom line question - Which do you want? - the answer is - It depends.

If you have one line & want to connect the 3 in 1 in parallel with the telephone, you want a one line splitter. (doesn't the 3 in 1 have such a splitter built-in?)

If you have two lines - One for the telephone & one for the 3 in 1, then you want a two line splitter to separate out the two lines.

So, I guess my answer is - You want an RJ-11 splitter that is one line or two line depending on how you want to use it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 9 (551 Views)
Employee

Thank you, aviewer, my first impression was OP had a single telephone line to multiple devices (fax, phone) and issue was the FAX machine need an analog (POTS) connection. Based on OP continued posts now believe has two phone lines (are both lines1 and line 2 on?) With a 3801, 5031 RG wanting to separate the phone lines for dedicated fax line but did not state such, made an educated guess and offered solution without verifying actual issue. Thanks for insight.
Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 9 (550 Views)
ACE - Expert

MT- Certainly your first impression was the high percentage choice. For some reason, I wondered about the other possibility. I guess I am particularly intrigued by this "simple" connection with a single "wire" ( I know it is a cable). It is situations like this that make it look easy for self-installs but prove that it is not. The devil is in the details.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 9 (546 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.