Moving to new address that doesn't have the same Uverse speeds (early termination fee?)

Contributor

Moving to new address that doesn't have the same Uverse speeds (early termination fee?)

Hello all, I JUST signed up for a new 1 year contract with uverse maybe 10 days ago. I have 24mbps currently. I just found out the address I'm moving to only has 12mbs serivce and that's too slow for me and am now being told I have to pay 180.00 ETF for breaking my contract.

Help this can't be correct, 10 days of service and they want 180.00 from me?

Message 1 of 6 (496 Views)
Employee

Re: Moving to new address that doesn't have the same Uverse speeds (early termination fee?)

read your contract closely, there may be information you need in there 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (488 Views)
Employee

Re: Moving to new address that doesn't have the same Uverse speeds (early termination fee?)

It is correct. Even though we don't have the speed you had at your old address, we do have service there, so if you want to cancel, the ETF would apply. You can try and speak with retentions by calling 800-288-2020 and saying cancel service to see if they might be able to work anything out with you, but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6 (469 Views)
Contributor

See this is what frustrates people.

I called in and spoke to a second person, I got their ID but I won’t put it up here, and they said that #1 I could cancel within 15 days and there would be no fee and #2 that because the service wasn’t the same they would waive the ETF when moving.

Anyway something else frustrating is the first rep I spoke to said there was only 12Mbps service at the new house but now I find out there’s 18Mbps service out there and that’s fine, I can live with 18Mbps but if the place really only has 12 I’ll be upset. In 4 hours I’ve been told so much conflicting information I don’t even know what’s right.

Message 4 of 6 (455 Views)
Community Manager

Hello @joe_sun 

Just to clarify, you have a 30 Days Money Back Guarantee when you order a new U-Verse service, if you cancel within this period, there will be no ETF, but you might still be responsible for installation and some other charges:

30 Day Money Back Guarantee: Must cancel all AT&T U-verse services within 30 days from service activation. Adjustment provided for monthly recurring charges only. Customer is responsible for all additional charges including but not limited to installation, On Demand, Pay Per View, international calls, other pay-per-use features, non-returned equipment charges, and any other one-time fees. Offer ends July 6, 2014.

Link

If you want to cancel after that, the ETF will be billed as long as U-Verse is available at your new location.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 6 (438 Views)
Contributor

No service area

I am moving next month to a different area that I know without a doubt that there is no service in this area. Question: Can I cancel service without paying any ETF?

Message 6 of 6 (179 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.