Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 11, 2014
9:05:29 PM
Moving TV to new wall, same room; How do I move the STB and modem?

I want to move my TV to another wall in the same room, however, I am unsure if I can do it without requesting a service technician to reroute coax around the room. Currently, I have the u-verse STB and a cable modem sitting under my TV. I also have an ethernet line running directly from the TV to the cable modem and an HDMI running from the u-verse STB to the TV. 

My question is really this; can I leave the cable modem where it is (and where it was installed), and move the TV across the room along with the u-verse STB? The STB should be able to work wirelessly, right? But how will I be able to connect my TV to the internet?

Hope someone can help. 

I want to move my TV to another wall in the same room, however, I am unsure if I can do it without requesting a service technician to reroute coax around the room. Currently, I have the u-verse STB and a cable modem sitting under my TV. I also have an ethernet line running directly from the TV to the cable modem and an HDMI running from the u-verse STB to the TV. 

My question is really this; can I leave the cable modem where it is (and where it was installed), and move the TV across the room along with the u-verse STB? The STB should be able to work wirelessly, right? But how will I be able to connect my TV to the internet?

Hope someone can help. 

Moving TV to new wall, same room; How do I move the STB and modem?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 3:21:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Jackisthenewblack wrote:

Hope someone can help. 

The STB will work wirelessly only if you had a wireless STB installed. I don't know much about internet-capable TVs, but my first thought was that any TV that connects to the internet would have wireless capabilities. 

From the sounds of it, you're going to need someone to reroute some cabling. Personally, I'd recommend hiring someone on your own, as it will likely be less expensive than requesting an AT&T tech to do it.

Jackisthenewblack wrote:

Hope someone can help. 

The STB will work wirelessly only if you had a wireless STB installed. I don't know much about internet-capable TVs, but my first thought was that any TV that connects to the internet would have wireless capabilities. 

From the sounds of it, you're going to need someone to reroute some cabling. Personally, I'd recommend hiring someone on your own, as it will likely be less expensive than requesting an AT&T tech to do it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Moving TV to new wall, same room; How do I move the STB and modem?

2 of 20 (1,835 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 3:58:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

How is the STB connected to the modem? and did you recieve the wireless STB access point?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

How is the STB connected to the modem? and did you recieve the wireless STB access point?

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 20 (1,833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 5:31:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jackisthenewbla…

My question is really this; can I leave the cable modem where it is (and where it was installed), and move the TV across the room along with the u-verse STB? Yes, The connection from the STB to the modem is probably a cat5 cable. If it is not, it should be. Buy a longer one at monoprice.com. When removing the cable from the jack be careful to depress the little tab. When it is depressed it will come out very easily. If it is not depressed, you may break it by pulling too hard.

The STB should be able to work wirelessly, right? You do not need to worry about wireless. Use the longer cat5 cable.

But how will I be able to connect my TV to the internet? Most Smart TVs do include wireless internet access & have a wizard (user interface GUI) to set it up, but, why not get two longer cat5 cables - one for the TV and one for the STB??

Check your user manual or post your TV make & model & I will look it up.
Jackisthenewbla…

My question is really this; can I leave the cable modem where it is (and where it was installed), and move the TV across the room along with the u-verse STB? Yes, The connection from the STB to the modem is probably a cat5 cable. If it is not, it should be. Buy a longer one at monoprice.com. When removing the cable from the jack be careful to depress the little tab. When it is depressed it will come out very easily. If it is not depressed, you may break it by pulling too hard.

The STB should be able to work wirelessly, right? You do not need to worry about wireless. Use the longer cat5 cable.

But how will I be able to connect my TV to the internet? Most Smart TVs do include wireless internet access & have a wizard (user interface GUI) to set it up, but, why not get two longer cat5 cables - one for the TV and one for the STB??

Check your user manual or post your TV make & model & I will look it up.

4 of 20 (1,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 10:18:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aviewer wrote:
Jackisthenewbla…

That will leave the OP with a cable stretching accross the room, which most people prefer to avoid. 

aviewer wrote:
Jackisthenewbla…

That will leave the OP with a cable stretching accross the room, which most people prefer to avoid. 

5 of 20 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 11:05:58 AM
(0)
Employee
Costs....
1) Uverse tech visit $99 plus new cable run $55 total $154.
2)If STB is not DVR, hardwired STB replace for WAP and wireless STB, cost $49.
....requires ordering WAP, WIFI STB, setting up, returning hardwired to UPS store for return shipment.
3) purchase one or two (if want hardwired TV) long Ethernet cables, run along side of baseboard, staple to baseboard if desire.
......cost depends on length of cable(s).
4) leave everything as is... cost $0.00!
Costs....
1) Uverse tech visit $99 plus new cable run $55 total $154.
2)If STB is not DVR, hardwired STB replace for WAP and wireless STB, cost $49.
....requires ordering WAP, WIFI STB, setting up, returning hardwired to UPS store for return shipment.
3) purchase one or two (if want hardwired TV) long Ethernet cables, run along side of baseboard, staple to baseboard if desire.
......cost depends on length of cable(s).
4) leave everything as is... cost $0.00!
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 20 (1,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:46:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not 100% sure if the U-verse STB is wireless, but I think it is not. I know this because the there is a cable running from the modem to the "network" port on the STB. Either way, I think i'm going to run cat 5 cable along the walls, and around the door frames to the new TV spot. But now my question is this: how do I connect the existing cable (i'm assuming it's cat 5) installed by AT&T to the new cable I about to purchase? Is there an ethernet coupler or some kind of switch I am going to have to purchase? 

Thanks again for your help. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not 100% sure if the U-verse STB is wireless, but I think it is not. I know this because the there is a cable running from the modem to the "network" port on the STB. Either way, I think i'm going to run cat 5 cable along the walls, and around the door frames to the new TV spot. But now my question is this: how do I connect the existing cable (i'm assuming it's cat 5) installed by AT&T to the new cable I about to purchase? Is there an ethernet coupler or some kind of switch I am going to have to purchase? 

Thanks again for your help. 

7 of 20 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:47:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

The STB is not wireless. It is connected via ethernet/cat 5 cable to the modem. I'm going to have to route cable around the room. 

Thanks for your help.

The STB is not wireless. It is connected via ethernet/cat 5 cable to the modem. I'm going to have to route cable around the room. 

Thanks for your help.

8 of 20 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:51:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hmmm, so leave the modem where it is, and run two, much longer, cat 5 cables from the modem to the new TV spot? that might be difficult and somwhat unsightly. I'm not sure about this. 

As for the wireless internet acess via the TV, yes, my smart TV has wireless connectivity, but I can't seem to get it to connect, hence the hardwiring to the modem. I'm not sure the make and model will help much.

Thanks for your help

Hmmm, so leave the modem where it is, and run two, much longer, cat 5 cables from the modem to the new TV spot? that might be difficult and somwhat unsightly. I'm not sure about this. 

As for the wireless internet acess via the TV, yes, my smart TV has wireless connectivity, but I can't seem to get it to connect, hence the hardwiring to the modem. I'm not sure the make and model will help much.

Thanks for your help

9 of 20 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 3:05:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Jackisthenewbla… - Cheaper to gte a new long enough cable than to connect the two. monoprice.com has many lengths really inexpensive. Others do, too Yu have a choice of many colors.
Jackisthenewbla… - Cheaper to gte a new long enough cable than to connect the two. monoprice.com has many lengths really inexpensive. Others do, too Yu have a choice of many colors.

10 of 20 (1,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 8:38:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I understand that I should get a new, longer cable and run it around the floor boards etc. What I don't understand is this: when AT&T installed u-verse and internet, the cabel that ran from outside my house through the floorboard, plugged directly into the modem. That cable is fixed in length. When I move the TV, STB, modem, dvd etc. to the other wall in the same room, how do connect the current AT&T cable to the modem, which is now on the other side of the room? Do i add a coupler to the existing cable and buy a 50ft cat5 cable? Will that work? And if the coupler is the solution, is it an inline coupler that I need?

Thank you for your responses so far. I appreciate it.  

I understand that I should get a new, longer cable and run it around the floor boards etc. What I don't understand is this: when AT&T installed u-verse and internet, the cabel that ran from outside my house through the floorboard, plugged directly into the modem. That cable is fixed in length. When I move the TV, STB, modem, dvd etc. to the other wall in the same room, how do connect the current AT&T cable to the modem, which is now on the other side of the room? Do i add a coupler to the existing cable and buy a 50ft cat5 cable? Will that work? And if the coupler is the solution, is it an inline coupler that I need?

Thank you for your responses so far. I appreciate it.  

11 of 20 (1,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 9:30:07 PM
(0)
Employee
Your original post was leaving the RG at current location, your last post was about moving RG, which is desired.

Leaving RG as is, requires 1 or 2 Ethernet cables (RJ45 ends)!!
Moving RG requires one Ethernet cable with RJ11 ends and inline coupler.

Be aware if encounter issues, needing a tech visit will cost $99, same as install visit.

As TV and receiver staying in same room, is there a basement that can be used for wiring?
Is this SN apartment, ccndo, or single family home? Rent or own? These deal with attractive issues.
Homeowners would not baseboard runs while temporary apartment could be fast, easy solution.
If willing to invest time, remove baseboards, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch groove, place wiring in grove, reinstall baseboards, for homeowner without basement may be best solution.

Suspect only the one TV, thus the receiver is DVR, resulting in why not considering a wireless receiver.
Your original post was leaving the RG at current location, your last post was about moving RG, which is desired.

Leaving RG as is, requires 1 or 2 Ethernet cables (RJ45 ends)!!
Moving RG requires one Ethernet cable with RJ11 ends and inline coupler.

Be aware if encounter issues, needing a tech visit will cost $99, same as install visit.

As TV and receiver staying in same room, is there a basement that can be used for wiring?
Is this SN apartment, ccndo, or single family home? Rent or own? These deal with attractive issues.
Homeowners would not baseboard runs while temporary apartment could be fast, easy solution.
If willing to invest time, remove baseboards, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch groove, place wiring in grove, reinstall baseboards, for homeowner without basement may be best solution.

Suspect only the one TV, thus the receiver is DVR, resulting in why not considering a wireless receiver.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 20 (1,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 9:51:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you so much. 

Yes, only one TV, hence the DVR. I'll look into the wireless receiver. Is it more expensive per month? Or will it be a single charge item?

Also, if I decide to move the RG with the TV and STB, you're saying I need a 50feet ethernet cable with RJ11 ends and inline coupler? Aren't and  they used for telephones? 

Also, will there be any loss of quality on the signal if I have a 50 ft cable running to the RG?

Thank you so much. 

Yes, only one TV, hence the DVR. I'll look into the wireless receiver. Is it more expensive per month? Or will it be a single charge item?

Also, if I decide to move the RG with the TV and STB, you're saying I need a 50feet ethernet cable with RJ11 ends and inline coupler? Aren't and  they used for telephones? 

Also, will there be any loss of quality on the signal if I have a 50 ft cable running to the RG?

13 of 20 (1,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 8:33:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Jackisthenewblack wrote:

Thank you so much. 

The Wireless STB is $50 up front plus $8(?) a month for renting the box.

Yes and not exactly. The wires on the inside are paired differently than your standard telephone wire.

Not enough to matter. There would start to be issues when you get much longer than that.

-------

Jackisthenewblack wrote:

Thank you so much. 

The Wireless STB is $50 up front plus $8(?) a month for renting the box.

Yes and not exactly. The wires on the inside are paired differently than your standard telephone wire.

Not enough to matter. There would start to be issues when you get much longer than that.

-------

14 of 20 (1,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 3:20:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, thanks for your help. I think I'm 90% there. I have only two questions for you and I'll be on my way:

1) I'm going to move the entire RG, TV, STB to the other wall. Can I simply plug in a Cat5e cable from the port that is connected to my wall (installed by AT&T) and run it around to the new spot in my room where the RG will now live? The cable that currently connects the RG to the wall port clearly states Cat5e. If I buy a 50ft cat5e and run it from the wall port to the RG will I still need couplers and ethernet cables with RJ11 ends?

2) If the above method doesn't work, do you know where I can find an ethernet cable with RJ11 connectors? I talked to a representative at monoprice.com and they don't carry anything like that. 

Your help is most appreciated.

OK, thanks for your help. I think I'm 90% there. I have only two questions for you and I'll be on my way:

1) I'm going to move the entire RG, TV, STB to the other wall. Can I simply plug in a Cat5e cable from the port that is connected to my wall (installed by AT&T) and run it around to the new spot in my room where the RG will now live? The cable that currently connects the RG to the wall port clearly states Cat5e. If I buy a 50ft cat5e and run it from the wall port to the RG will I still need couplers and ethernet cables with RJ11 ends?

2) If the above method doesn't work, do you know where I can find an ethernet cable with RJ11 connectors? I talked to a representative at monoprice.com and they don't carry anything like that. 

Your help is most appreciated.

15 of 20 (1,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 6:48:07 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:21:11 PM

Depends on jack on wall, if RJ11 jack a RJ45 end will not fit.
If tech installed a RJ 45 jack (8 pins) using RJ11 data cable, purchasing a 50feet Ethernet (RJ45), AND a coupler would allow you to use the existing data cable at RG plugged into other side of coupler.

RJ45 wall plate .....50'Ethernet......coupler....RJ11 data cable......RG.

If wall jack is RJ11 will either need to change jack or acquire correct cable, recommend checking with local PC repair shop, might be able to custom build cable RJ 11--------cat5e cable------RJ11 with blue pair on center pins, 3,4

Depends on jack on wall, if RJ11 jack a RJ45 end will not fit.
If tech installed a RJ 45 jack (8 pins) using RJ11 data cable, purchasing a 50feet Ethernet (RJ45), AND a coupler would allow you to use the existing data cable at RG plugged into other side of coupler.

RJ45 wall plate .....50'Ethernet......coupler....RJ11 data cable......RG.

If wall jack is RJ11 will either need to change jack or acquire correct cable, recommend checking with local PC repair shop, might be able to custom build cable RJ 11--------cat5e cable------RJ11 with blue pair on center pins, 3,4

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (1,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 8:18:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

So an RJ11 will always be the right connection for the RG?

So an RJ11 will always be the right connection for the RG?

17 of 20 (1,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 8:31:07 PM
(0)
Employee
I would not say always, but good question,and one I had not considered till you asked.

In 95% of installs, with IPTV service, on an FTTN (fiber to the node) and data cable is plugged into the GREEN port on the RG! with either a green 15 foot data cable (RJ11) or a white (7 or 14 foot) data cable if pre made.

On those on an FTTP (fiber to the premise) installs the cable to provide service is an Ethernet (RJ45) plugged into the RED port of the RG.

If no cable is plugged into either the RED or GREEN port, then on coax diplixer install.
This has not really been done since January 2013, but was more common before that time, using existing coax from cable company to feed RG.
I would not say always, but good question,and one I had not considered till you asked.

In 95% of installs, with IPTV service, on an FTTN (fiber to the node) and data cable is plugged into the GREEN port on the RG! with either a green 15 foot data cable (RJ11) or a white (7 or 14 foot) data cable if pre made.

On those on an FTTP (fiber to the premise) installs the cable to provide service is an Ethernet (RJ45) plugged into the RED port of the RG.

If no cable is plugged into either the RED or GREEN port, then on coax diplixer install.
This has not really been done since January 2013, but was more common before that time, using existing coax from cable company to feed RG.

18 of 20 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 9:29:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Now, I'm more lost. I'm thinking I should have a technician do the job. 

Thanks for your help though. 

Now, I'm more lost. I'm thinking I should have a technician do the job. 

Thanks for your help though. 

19 of 20 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 9:46:19 PM
(0)
Employee
Your currently connected by the green port on back of RG, correct?
Your good if that is the case, for sake of completeness I wanted to include additional ways the RG could be connected for others who may read these posts and are connected in a different fashion.

A tech visit is not a bad ideal, the tech would have proper wire, install saving your time, and possible $ if you have problems later.
Your currently connected by the green port on back of RG, correct?
Your good if that is the case, for sake of completeness I wanted to include additional ways the RG could be connected for others who may read these posts and are connected in a different fashion.

A tech visit is not a bad ideal, the tech would have proper wire, install saving your time, and possible $ if you have problems later.

20 of 20 (1,580 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments