Moving ATT Uverse to the other side of the room

Moving ATT Uverse to the other side of the room

I currently have ATT Uverse.  I have the router in my front room but want to move the router to the other side of the room. Currently the main feed to the router comes up from under the floor, my plan was to cut the feed wire (Cut the fitting off) and then feed it throught the floorboards into the new position. This will require a new fitting to be crimped once it is poked through. The problem is the wire does not look like the old syle coax wires it still has the copper needle coming out of it but the crimp fitting looks different. Any advice on how to crimp the wire or if it needs to be professionally done, i can pretty much do everything apart form the fitting on the end and ATT want to charge me almost $200 for a service call. Any advice ?????

Message 1 of 9 (466 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Moving ATT Uverse to the other side of the room

njohnson74 - I believe what you are seeing is called a compression fitting. It is a better connection for u-verse service.

You are saying the fitting does not fit through the hole in the floor, even with a little persuasion??

Compression fittings & compression tool are readily available - Lowes, Home Depot & on the web.

It is possible you would not have a problem with an old style fitting. But, it is just as possible the signal will degrade. Especially bad if you have other sets on the COAX.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (462 Views)
Employee

If RG is coax feed, need compression fittings, depending on coax either rg59 (skinny) or rg6 (fatter) plus a compression tool.

As the current objective is to move all installs to cat5 feed from NID to RG, helps when future upgrade to bonded install.
The charges are for standard service call $99, or on demand $149 plus each wire run $55.

If request to move needing cat5 feed (99+55=154). If have additional need for back feed of coax to access other TVs need a second wire run. ($154+55=$209)

What do you gain my moving the router, better wifi signal in house? Purchase a net gear 3000 range extender is less expensive.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9 (460 Views)

Thanks for the reply. The fitting definitely wont go back through the hole, i thought about opening the hole up a bit but after looking at the hole from under the house i realised the installer had also drilled through a supporting beam so i just cant open it up. I do have 2 other boxes in the house already (3 in total) one of which is wireless, so im a little nervous about going with regular coax, i might give it a go though just to see. I will take a look at the tools - The fitting is a trs-6l . Do you have any recomendations on the best tool for it ?   Thanks in advance

Message 4 of 9 (447 Views)

The reason for moving the router is we are moving the tv to the other side of the room along with the PS3, Apple TV etc. The fitting on the end is a trs-6l, i hoped it would be as easy as cutting and re-crimping.

Message 5 of 9 (445 Views)
ACE - Expert

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 9 (440 Views)
ACE - Expert

It does at that.  I'm of the hope that I'll not have to use my coax gear much more.  I'm more interested in Twisted Pair crimpers, etc. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9 (438 Views)

Thanks for the advice i have amazon prime so i will buy the klein tool and give it a shot on Monday.

Message 8 of 9 (426 Views)
Employee

I would recommend installing new cat5 from NID to new RG location.
Use a RJ14 jack, biscuit, and data cable to provide sync for RG.
Acquire a second wireless receiver and leave the coax behind.

At NID replace the twisted pair to coax adapter with one pair (techs prefer green pair)
Use same color pair at jack.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 9 (403 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.