Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 10, 2014
6:34:40 PM
Motorola NVG589 and FTTP

To anyone who can assist...

I just moved into brand new house and am attempting to have my u-verse services transferred to my new home. So, I have out CAT6 cable in the new home and wanted a gateway that would make the most of my Gbit network capability.

So naturally, I requested the latest Motorola NVG589 gateway as it supports a Gbit network vs. my old 2Wire that only supports a 100Mbps network. However, when I requested this device, I was told that because my neighborhood was newer and had fiber to the premises (FTTP), that the Motorola NVG589 would not work as it only works with fiber to the node (FTTN) neighborhoods where copper is used and thus, I would have to use an older 2Wire gateway model. Besides, sounding like crap, as this would effectively neuter my internal network to a degree, make me operate at a lower wireless speed, and make me lose a piece of equipment with an internal battery, can someone please let me know if I was misinformed and if I need to press AT&T for the Motorola NVG589?

I mean, is it really true that you would be penalized with older and slower gateways when you have a more advanced fiber infrastructure with FTTP?

To anyone who can assist...

I just moved into brand new house and am attempting to have my u-verse services transferred to my new home. So, I have out CAT6 cable in the new home and wanted a gateway that would make the most of my Gbit network capability.

So naturally, I requested the latest Motorola NVG589 gateway as it supports a Gbit network vs. my old 2Wire that only supports a 100Mbps network. However, when I requested this device, I was told that because my neighborhood was newer and had fiber to the premises (FTTP), that the Motorola NVG589 would not work as it only works with fiber to the node (FTTN) neighborhoods where copper is used and thus, I would have to use an older 2Wire gateway model. Besides, sounding like crap, as this would effectively neuter my internal network to a degree, make me operate at a lower wireless speed, and make me lose a piece of equipment with an internal battery, can someone please let me know if I was misinformed and if I need to press AT&T for the Motorola NVG589?

I mean, is it really true that you would be penalized with older and slower gateways when you have a more advanced fiber infrastructure with FTTP?

Motorola NVG589 and FTTP

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:29:32 PM
(0)
Employee
Are you in Austin, Tx where 300M internet is available on FTTP?

No, then the 3800 and 3801 are the RGs used in 98%+ of FTTP installs and probably 70% on FTTN installs with IPTV service.
The balance FTTN is bonded installs using the 3812 with i38hg or 589 (since Labor Day most markets.

Desire giga speeds on home network, desire N wireless then like most everyone else, need to purchase your own router and set behind the 38xx RG in DMZ mode.

Follow second post found here http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
Are you in Austin, Tx where 300M internet is available on FTTP?

No, then the 3800 and 3801 are the RGs used in 98%+ of FTTP installs and probably 70% on FTTN installs with IPTV service.
The balance FTTN is bonded installs using the 3812 with i38hg or 589 (since Labor Day most markets.

Desire giga speeds on home network, desire N wireless then like most everyone else, need to purchase your own router and set behind the 38xx RG in DMZ mode.

Follow second post found here http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/td-p/2707013
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Motorola NVG589 and FTTP

2 of 8 (493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:55:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm in Houston, TX.

So, while the 3800 and 3801 have been installed on 98% of the FTTP installs, is this the cause of them being readily available and not as new or is it that the 589 can absolutely not be installed with FTTP?

In other words, is there something precisely technical that would prevent the 589 from working with FTTP, and not because AT&T want to preserve it for FTTN or new customer installs?

Thanks so much for any information. It just boggles my mind that the newest RG doesn't support the newer infrastructure.

I'm in Houston, TX.

So, while the 3800 and 3801 have been installed on 98% of the FTTP installs, is this the cause of them being readily available and not as new or is it that the 589 can absolutely not be installed with FTTP?

In other words, is there something precisely technical that would prevent the 589 from working with FTTP, and not because AT&T want to preserve it for FTTN or new customer installs?

Thanks so much for any information. It just boggles my mind that the newest RG doesn't support the newer infrastructure.

3 of 8 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:12:10 PM
(0)
Employee
The 589 is designated as a bonded pair install.
As FTTP (excluding Austin) is either Bpon (max internet speed 18/1.5) or GPON (24/3) the 100M ports are more than sufficient to provide internet connection at those speeds.
Your personal home network is just that, personal, and you need to provide a personal (3rd party) unit if desire more than what the Uvrerse RG offers.

For those in Austin rdering the 300M internet, the 589 is the only RG that has giga ports, therefore Austin 300 customers receive the 589.

When a profile is offered in your area that has greater speeds AND your willing to pay for those speeds, a 589 would need to be installed.Till then 24M internet max either 3800 or 3801 RG.

There are both NIB and refurbished 3800 and 3801, as both units are leased, any issue replaced at no charge to you.
The 589 is designated as a bonded pair install.
As FTTP (excluding Austin) is either Bpon (max internet speed 18/1.5) or GPON (24/3) the 100M ports are more than sufficient to provide internet connection at those speeds.
Your personal home network is just that, personal, and you need to provide a personal (3rd party) unit if desire more than what the Uvrerse RG offers.

For those in Austin rdering the 300M internet, the 589 is the only RG that has giga ports, therefore Austin 300 customers receive the 589.

When a profile is offered in your area that has greater speeds AND your willing to pay for those speeds, a 589 would need to be installed.Till then 24M internet max either 3800 or 3801 RG.

There are both NIB and refurbished 3800 and 3801, as both units are leased, any issue replaced at no charge to you.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 10:23:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know the NVG589 is designated  as a bonded pair install, but it is my understanding that the NVG589 will work also with a single pair...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/td-p/3428715#.UtDbx...

...so while I wouldn't mind paying $70 to $99 a month for  "Gigapower" as AT&T is marketing it in Austin, considering I dish out almost $400 a month to AT&T, I would think installing a higher performing RG would be a small concession considering they will most undoubtedly get their money back considering I've been with them for around 8 years and when u-verse was first offered.

From the link above, would I be correct in stating that it is indeed feasible to install the NVG589 with my neighborhood's FTTP? In other words, from your percentages, the 2% aside from the 98% got a NVG589, right?

I know the NVG589 is designated  as a bonded pair install, but it is my understanding that the NVG589 will work also with a single pair...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/td-p/3428715#.UtDbxni9LCQ

...so while I wouldn't mind paying $70 to $99 a month for  "Gigapower" as AT&T is marketing it in Austin, considering I dish out almost $400 a month to AT&T, I would think installing a higher performing RG would be a small concession considering they will most undoubtedly get their money back considering I've been with them for around 8 years and when u-verse was first offered.

From the link above, would I be correct in stating that it is indeed feasible to install the NVG589 with my neighborhood's FTTP? In other words, from your percentages, the 2% aside from the 98% got a NVG589, right?

5 of 8 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:41:42 PM
(0)
Employee
The 2% is being generous, likely less than half of 1% meaning 99.5 or better is 3800 or 3801.
The 3800 has been around since 2006, the B version I believe 2008. The 3801 I believe 2010, maybe early 2011.
The 589 since late summer 2013, less than 5 months in most markets.

The install orders are specific on equipment to be placed, and techs can be held accountable for following instructions, resulting in repeated violation of suspension leading to termination.

If I was doing your install, your getting what is on the order. If you get a tech who is on his way out and does not care he may install a 589 but it will not be what is assigned to your account. Future problem with RG that future tech might reinstall a 3800 or 3801 per your assignment

Again best solution, I believe, is to purchase your own router(many good reviews on Asus) and place behind RG to control your home network.

Does not matter how fast your home network is, your internet connection is still max of 24/3
The 2% is being generous, likely less than half of 1% meaning 99.5 or better is 3800 or 3801.
The 3800 has been around since 2006, the B version I believe 2008. The 3801 I believe 2010, maybe early 2011.
The 589 since late summer 2013, less than 5 months in most markets.

The install orders are specific on equipment to be placed, and techs can be held accountable for following instructions, resulting in repeated violation of suspension leading to termination.

If I was doing your install, your getting what is on the order. If you get a tech who is on his way out and does not care he may install a 589 but it will not be what is assigned to your account. Future problem with RG that future tech might reinstall a 3800 or 3801 per your assignment

Again best solution, I believe, is to purchase your own router(many good reviews on Asus) and place behind RG to control your home network.

Does not matter how fast your home network is, your internet connection is still max of 24/3

6 of 8 (460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:44:06 AM
(0)
Employee

tmarzetta wrote:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/td-p/3428715#.UtDbx...

The 589 can do single pair but right now unless you are in a trial market where they are testing the feasibility of using it on single pairs, it's only for bonded pair installs.  This is beside the point though because FTTP does not count as single or bonded pair, it's an Ethernet connection from the ONT.  Yes, the 589 works with FTTP as well, the only known issue with some of the Richardson, TX installs have been corrected.  For it to be carried on the tech's truck for a regular install and called for in the order it would have to be a launch area, otherwise it's not carried in a quantity sufficient for using on every install and yes they do monitor the equipment we use up to the minute with RFID tracking in the trucks.  You may have some luck but I would think they will just reuse your old equipment because it does have all the necessary support for your area. Sorry. 

tmarzetta wrote:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Motorola-NVG589-New-U-verse-Gateway/td-p/3428715#.UtDbxni9LCQ

The 589 can do single pair but right now unless you are in a trial market where they are testing the feasibility of using it on single pairs, it's only for bonded pair installs.  This is beside the point though because FTTP does not count as single or bonded pair, it's an Ethernet connection from the ONT.  Yes, the 589 works with FTTP as well, the only known issue with some of the Richardson, TX installs have been corrected.  For it to be carried on the tech's truck for a regular install and called for in the order it would have to be a launch area, otherwise it's not carried in a quantity sufficient for using on every install and yes they do monitor the equipment we use up to the minute with RFID tracking in the trucks.  You may have some luck but I would think they will just reuse your old equipment because it does have all the necessary support for your area. Sorry. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:18:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well, I'm all set! I indeed got a NVG589 gateway and am loving it.

It seemed that persistence is they key and the tech sent out to my house was awesome. He understood my situation, was meticulous in his installation, had no qualms and/or reservations about the hardware I was requesting.

I can truly say that I'm a completely satisfied AT&T customer now. :-)

Thanks all for your feedback and assistance.
Well, I'm all set! I indeed got a NVG589 gateway and am loving it.

It seemed that persistence is they key and the tech sent out to my house was awesome. He understood my situation, was meticulous in his installation, had no qualms and/or reservations about the hardware I was requesting.

I can truly say that I'm a completely satisfied AT&T customer now. :-)

Thanks all for your feedback and assistance.

8 of 8 (362 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments