Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 31, 2013
10:49:14 AM
View profile
Modem upgrade
I have a five year old 2Wire modem on my home DSL connection. Shoul I upgrade to one that supports 802.11N?
I have a five year old 2Wire modem on my home DSL connection. Shoul I upgrade to one that supports 802.11N?

Modem upgrade

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 11:39:58 AM
(0)
Employee
At this point in time not really your decision,
1) do you have Uverse TV service.....the 589 is only for those with TV service (leased)
2) are you on an inid....inid were available in 2010, a five year old modem would not be inid with i38HG......NO
3) are you using a 3801 RG (single pair) with ongoing service issues...if no problems no need for newer RG
4) are you currently able to order new higher internet speeds (bonded pair)....if no current RG is acceptable
5) as newer RG are limited supply in each market a simply desire is not reason to swap...as supply increase 2014
Such requests may be honored but the current 3800 and 3801 are not going away and will be used in the near future
For those profiles (lower internet speeds), close distance to VRAD, that seems to describe your current situation and RG.
6) if internet only purchased 3600 RG you may purchase the newer Pace 5031 ($100) at any time to replace your old RG.
1) do you have Uverse TV service.....the 589 is only for those with TV service (leased)
2) are you on an inid....inid were available in 2010, a five year old modem would not be inid with i38HG......NO
3) are you using a 3801 RG (single pair) with ongoing service issues...if no problems no need for newer RG
4) are you currently able to order new higher internet speeds (bonded pair)....if no current RG is acceptable
5) as newer RG are limited supply in each market a simply desire is not reason to swap...as supply increase 2014
Such requests may be honored but the current 3800 and 3801 are not going away and will be used in the near future
For those profiles (lower internet speeds), close distance to VRAD, that seems to describe your current situation and RG.
6) if internet only purchased 3600 RG you may purchase the newer Pace 5031 ($100) at any time to replace your old RG.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Modem upgrade

2 of 7 (564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 1:25:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks for the response. But, it is too technical for me.

My current modem is not 802.11n compatible and my laptops, PCs, etc. are. I thought upgrading to a modem that supports 802.11n might improve my internet service.

Don't have Uverse, DSL Extreme is what we have.

I don't know what RG, inid, 589, 3801 are.

Excuse my lack of knowledge.

Sent from my iPad
Thanks for the response. But, it is too technical for me.

My current modem is not 802.11n compatible and my laptops, PCs, etc. are. I thought upgrading to a modem that supports 802.11n might improve my internet service.

Don't have Uverse, DSL Extreme is what we have.

I don't know what RG, inid, 589, 3801 are.

Excuse my lack of knowledge.

Sent from my iPad

3 of 7 (543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 1:41:12 PM
(0)
Employee
That's OK, your post is in a uverse forum so believed your question was related to uverse modem.

I do not work with DSL, only Uverse so can offer no advice
That's OK, your post is in a uverse forum so believed your question was related to uverse modem.

I do not work with DSL, only Uverse so can offer no advice
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 5:22:12 PM
(0)
Explorer

my thoughts wrote:

I have a question concerning your statement 4. I am on a bonded pair Inid with the 138HG router. I just noticed yesterday that I can now upgrade to 24 GB Turbo, I wasn't able to in the past. 

does that mean if I order it will I receive the new RG?

It also appears that I can now also order wireless TV receivers that previously I couldn't upgrade to.

my thoughts wrote:

I have a question concerning your statement 4. I am on a bonded pair Inid with the 138HG router. I just noticed yesterday that I can now upgrade to 24 GB Turbo, I wasn't able to in the past. 

does that mean if I order it will I receive the new RG?

It also appears that I can now also order wireless TV receivers that previously I couldn't upgrade to.

5 of 7 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 10:02:50 PM
(0)
Employee
For rgladman, no would not receive the new RG, the inid as a bonded pair will work just fine.
Your new profile would be the standard 3800 profile of 32M with 24M internet availability.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28516629-24-meg-tier-on-iNID-

Wireless tv receivers for the inid have been available since October of last year. Requires a new updated software i38HG,
The WAP plugs into one if the Ethernet ports of the i38HG, can support one or two (Max) wifi set top boxes.
For rgladman, no would not receive the new RG, the inid as a bonded pair will work just fine.
Your new profile would be the standard 3800 profile of 32M with 24M internet availability.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28516629-24-meg-tier-on-iNID-

Wireless tv receivers for the inid have been available since October of last year. Requires a new updated software i38HG,
The WAP plugs into one if the Ethernet ports of the i38HG, can support one or two (Max) wifi set top boxes.

6 of 7 (430 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 12:39:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

I honestly didn't think this would work until I tried it, but if you want 802.11n, just buy an N router and connect it to your gateway with a physical link - i.e. network cable.  The network is faster than what you can get on 802.11n, and will, therefore, provide as fast a wi-fi signal as your router can provide.  I've done the same thing, and, although the wi-fi signal is a helluva lot faster than what I could get directly from the gateway, it's not full 802.11n - but from what I've read no one gets full speed.

And, speaking of the gateway, the number of dropouts my wife has experienced lately with our third gateway in six months, is one of the reasons I was prompted to try the extra router.

I honestly didn't think this would work until I tried it, but if you want 802.11n, just buy an N router and connect it to your gateway with a physical link - i.e. network cable.  The network is faster than what you can get on 802.11n, and will, therefore, provide as fast a wi-fi signal as your router can provide.  I've done the same thing, and, although the wi-fi signal is a helluva lot faster than what I could get directly from the gateway, it's not full 802.11n - but from what I've read no one gets full speed.

And, speaking of the gateway, the number of dropouts my wife has experienced lately with our third gateway in six months, is one of the reasons I was prompted to try the extra router.

7 of 7 (392 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments