Posted Aug 24, 2013
7:26:39 AM
Modem/router compatibility
I have a Motorola 4111N router/modem and I currently DSL service. I am looking to switch from DSL to Uverse. Is my router compatible to run Uverse?
I have a Motorola 4111N router/modem and I currently DSL service. I am looking to switch from DSL to Uverse. Is my router compatible to run Uverse?

Modem/router compatibility

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 7:27:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:28:05 AM

No, the Motorola 4111N is not compatible with either technology used by AT&T U-verse.

No, the Motorola 4111N is not compatible with either technology used by AT&T U-verse.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Modem/router compatibility

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:16:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Do you have any recrecommendations for router that is compatible? And I use this (Motorolla 4111n)router currently for DSL ATT ISP.

Do you have any recrecommendations for router that is compatible? And I use this (Motorolla 4111n)router currently for DSL ATT ISP.

3 of 4 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:45:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:56:28 AM

What modem you need to get depends on what technology is available to you where you're going to be installed, either VDSL2 or ADSL2+.  

If you're Internet only, or Internet and Voice, then AT&T will require you to own the router.  AT&T charges $100 for a device with a 1 year warranty.  There is no where else that you can purchase a new router (because AT&T loads custom firmware with a security certificate for authentication in them), but you may find a used one on eBay.  Getting AT&T to activate such a router is harder than it should be, but possible.  AT&T has just come out with newer model routers better than the predessors, enough better that I'd advise you to get a new one.  If they try to sell you the NVG 510, however, you should suggest they pick something better for you since you're buying it.

If you're an IPTV customer (solely, or in combination), then AT&T will require that you lease the device and they'll provide one that suits your configuration.

What modem you need to get depends on what technology is available to you where you're going to be installed, either VDSL2 or ADSL2+.  

If you're Internet only, or Internet and Voice, then AT&T will require you to own the router.  AT&T charges $100 for a device with a 1 year warranty.  There is no where else that you can purchase a new router (because AT&T loads custom firmware with a security certificate for authentication in them), but you may find a used one on eBay.  Getting AT&T to activate such a router is harder than it should be, but possible.  AT&T has just come out with newer model routers better than the predessors, enough better that I'd advise you to get a new one.  If they try to sell you the NVG 510, however, you should suggest they pick something better for you since you're buying it.

If you're an IPTV customer (solely, or in combination), then AT&T will require that you lease the device and they'll provide one that suits your configuration.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (207 Views)