Microsoft Outlook

Contributor

Microsoft Outlook

We had U-verse DSL installed last Tuesday. The internet was easy, setting up our emails was a problem. When I tried to set up our emails using Microsoft Outlook 2007 I could receive but not send. I called tech support and the person I talked to worked at it and finally got it to work. I checked my wife's email and it would receive but not send like mine did at first. I called support again and was told they do not support Microsoft Outlook I would have to go through Connect Tech for a fee. I explained the gentleman I talked to before fixed my email problem, I was told he was not supposed to since they do not support Microsoft Outlook I would need to call Connect Tech.

I checked the on line forum and leaned that sevral other people have the same problem some have used Connect Tech for a fee, they unbloced port 25 and it still not work but they still had to pay them.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it? How?

Message 1 of 18
Expert

Re: Microsoft Outlook

You do not have to have port 25 unblocked to use Outlook.

Follow the directions here to get Outlook 2007 set up:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573#fbid=VPqOtQjUphk

Message 2 of 18
Contributor

Unless it's just me, that link show instructions for Outlook Express.  Doesn't look anything like Outlook 2007 setup. 

Even when I "customize" by selecting my programs, services and operating system, it still gives me the Outlook Express instructions.

Even the quick fix little thing-a-ma-bob you can download...it says it added the account, but it doesn't show up under either of them.

Message 3 of 18
Expert

The link I gave definitely shows Outlook 2007.  I have Outlook 2007 and the screenshots are correct.

I will post the instructions here instead of having you go through the link:

To set up your AT&T Mail account in Outlook 2007, simply add a new email account to your existing Outlook profile:

1. Open Outlook 2007 on your computer.
  2. Click on the Tools menu, click on Account Settings.

3. Click the New... button.

4. Select the radio button next to Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP and click the Next button.
  5. Put a check in the box next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
  6. Click the Next button.

7. Click the radio button next to Internet E-mail.
  8. Click the Next button.

9. In the User Information section:
    • Under Your Name box, type your name the way that you want it to appear to other people.
    • In the E-mail Address box, enter your full AT&T email address (e.g., YourName@att.net).

Note: If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field.

10. In the Server Information section:
    • In the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server box, enter pop.att.yahoo.com.
    • In the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box, enter smtp.att.yahoo.com.
  11. In the Logon Information section:
    • In the User Name box, enter your full email address.
    • In the Password box, enter your password.
    • Note: If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or Sub Account) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.

• Select the Remember password check box.

12. Select the button for More Settings.
  13. Choose the Outgoing Server tab.
  14. Verify these settings:
    • The box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is checked.
    • The radio button Use same settings as my incoming mail server is checked.

15. Click the Advanced tab.
  16. Verify these settings:
    • The Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
    • The Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465 and the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked.
  17. Click OK.

18. Click the Next button.
  19. Click the Finish button.

Message 4 of 18
Master

Great instructions w/screen shots, SomeJoe. I changed my mom's email from Outlook Express to Outlook 2007 a couple months ago and had to follow the same instructions. Would have been a whole lot easier seeing them the way you have it laid out. Excellent job! Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 18

Outlook Email worked fine for me for exactly one week.  Now - Outlook will not log in to my email account - at all.  I have tried everything here and on the MS website. 

This is one more thing that is making me reconsider my choice of U-Verse!

Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

If you tried everything & it does not work, switch to gmail & forward your u-verse account to gmail.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18

Thanks, but no thanks. My opinion is uverse/AT&T should figure out the problem(s) I am having and resolve them. I had none of these issues before switching to uverse.

As I stated before (and in other posts about problems) I may be going back to comcast if there is mo resolution.
Message 8 of 18

I've been using Outlook for years and haven't had any issues setting it up with UVerse.  Are you able to view your email online through yahoo?  If you can then there should be no issues with Outlook.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 18
ACE - Guru

You are correct.  They do not support any mail client but Yahoo which may be a partner of AT&T and they want everything going through yahoo.  Their are instructions with in the yahoo mail to set up other e-mail clients.  I had no problem setting up Outlook by following those directions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 18
Contributor

I tried these settings and got Outlook to work , but with this worrisome error message:

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified.

The target principal name is incorrect.

Do you want to continue using this server?

Should I be worried, and if so, what should I do?

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Expert

What name is coming up?  If not a Yahoo.com or ATT.net domain it will be incorrect and I would not use it.  As the message now above yours states, Outlook is no longer supported (per David a trusted ATT tech that helps many).  They want everyone to start using web mail interface.

If you signed up for a free att.net email account after 6/12/11, you will not be able to use an email program (e.g., Outlook) with your AT&T email account.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=PTFdy6TPO0h ')

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 12 of 18
Master

Some real good info and an interesting esupport link Chris. Smiley Wink

Since Outlook is no longer supported is that why we are seeing the long threads with problems with Outlook, on both the UV HSI boards and DSL forum, such as this post? Just curios and maybe these problems are unrelated to your link info.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Message 13 of 18
ACE - Expert

Uni, think it just might be the deadline date that support cut off email client use for new accounts (maybe others too?).  Here's David's post that he stated email clients are no longer being supported:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/To-moderator-Pamelaz-what-is-the-truth-of-the-slow-spee... Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 14 of 18
Master

Thanks for the info Chris. I now remember reading that rather colorful thread but just didn't put your link together with David's post until you posted the esupport info/link. Smiley Wink

Uniblurb3

Message 15 of 18
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support