Helpful Links

MPAA Ratings

MPAA Ratings

One thing I can't stand about UVerse is that when I look at a the guide to watch a movie, I see what it's rated, but no other information as to why it's rated what it is (e.g. Adult Language, Violence, etc.) All I see are symbols (e.g. ** +, etc.) That has to mean something. Does anyone know where to find this information? Or is there a setting I can change so I can view this information for each program?

Message 1 of 14
Expert

Re: MPAA Ratings

What you see next to the MPAA rating is the number of stars given to the movie.  (i.e. *****, ****+, ****, ***+, ***, **+, **, etc.).

Message 2 of 14
Expert

The MPAA rating system is shrouded in secrecy.  The MPAA does not publish why they have given a particular rating to any particular movie.

If you'd like to watch a really good documentary on the subject, please rent the DVD This FIlm Is Not Yet Rated.

Message 3 of 14

Thanks for clarifying the * texasguy. SomeJoe, specifics about the ratings on movies are always listed next to the rating. I'm not really interested enough to rent a DVD...I just want to be able to decide on watching a movie based on its content.

Message 4 of 14
Expert

The ratings won't exactly help you do that.  What is a bigger threat is deciding to watch a movie based on the program info and discovering it is really lame.  Be nice to have a rating for that.  An accurate rating.

Message 5 of 14

I guess you can try to trust the *** that are given on the info screen. I used to have DirecTV and they listed the reasons for the rating....that's what I'd like to see UVerse do as well.

Message 6 of 14
Expert

I'm not speaking of the very generic and vague descriptions that you usually get.  e.g. Film is rated R because of "Adult Situation" or "Violence".  Sorry, but not all Adult Situations or Violence are created equal.  And the MPAA doesn't explain any further than that.

As was mentioned earlier, the stars have nothing to do with the MPAA rating.  The MPAA rating (G,PG,PG13,R,NC17) is a (very rough) gauge of the age groups that this movie may not be appropriate for.  The stars are a subjective rating of the film's quality of entertainment and artistic value.  More stars = higher rating.

If you want a more in-depth explanaton of the MPAA rating, look the film up on www.imdb.com, and look at the MPAA rating description or the link to the parental guide (if present), both are under the "Additional Details" section.

Message 7 of 14
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The MPAA rating system is shrouded in secrecy.  The MPAA does not publish why they have given a particular rating to any particular movie.

If you'd like to watch a really good documentary on the subject, please rent the DVD This FIlm Is Not Yet Rated.

+1.  If you aren't already convinced that the MPAA ratings are useless and misleading, this film will set you straight on that.

Message 8 of 14
Scholar

I have to jump on the bandwagon with shane-christi on this one.

I had the grandkids for a week and they love to watch scary movies. When looking for them, because there was no description as to why a movie was rated R ie; nudity, I only felt safe watching PG-13.

It would be a great help to have the adjectives added to the rating.

Message 9 of 14
Scholar

Unlike TV Ratings that drive V-Chips, the MPAA doesn't have a static set of rating explanations. For example, here's how they classify the various star wars films

TITLE:
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sci-fi action violence throughout, brief language and momentary smoking.
DISTRIBUTOR:
Warner Bros. Pictures Inc.
ALTERNATE TITLES:

OTHER:

TITLE:
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith (2005)
RATING:
PG-13
REASON:
Rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some intense images.
DISTRIBUTOR:
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.
ALTERNATE TITLES:
Star Wars: Episode IIIStar Wars: Episode III: Return Of The Sith
OTHER:

TITLE:
Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi (2004)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sci-fi action violence.
DISTRIBUTOR:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
ALTERNATE TITLES:
Return Of The Jedi
OTHER:
1983 RatedSmiley TongueG;1997 Edited for re-rating RatedSmiley TongueG; Edited for re-rating

TITLE:
Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (2004)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sci-fi action violence.
DISTRIBUTOR:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
ALTERNATE TITLES:
Empire Strikes Back, The
OTHER:
1980 RatedSmiley TongueG;1997 Edited for re-rating RatedSmiley TongueG; Edited for re-rating

TITLE:
Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope (2004)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sci-fi violence and brief mild language.
DISTRIBUTOR:
ALTERNATE TITLES:
Star WarsStar Wars - Special Edition
OTHER:
1977 RatedSmiley TongueG;1996 Edited for re-rating RatedSmiley TongueG; Edited for re-rating

TITLE:
Star Wars: Episode 2 -- Attack Of The Clones (2002)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sustained sequences of sci-fi action/violence.
DISTRIBUTOR:
ALTERNATE TITLES:

OTHER:

TITLE:
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
RATING:
PG
REASON:
Rated PG for sci-fi action/violence.
DISTRIBUTOR:
ALTERNATE TITLES:

You can find out more here
http://www.filmratings.com/
Message 10 of 14
Scholar

Thanks PG (PotatoeGuru)..

This is exactly what I mean. This shows a reason for the rating. I wish all movies would put this back in the description.

And thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it.

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Professor

shane-christi wrote:

I guess you can try to trust the *** that are given on the info screen. I used to have DirecTV and they listed the reasons for the rating....that's what I'd like to see UVerse do as well.

One thing that a lot of people may not realize is that the guides on all providers are created by outside companies and then sold (pushed) to the providers. The providers merely show the information given to them. I see you found the IMDB link which is another helpful source. Plus, watching a movie in advance of having your kids watch it...could be a waste of time but could also be a helpful tool.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 14
Tutor

Would be nice if an AT&T Forum Monitor would comment on this short coming. I would also like to see the detailed info on why a movie or show has the certain rating.
Message 13 of 14
Contributor

For Shane-Christie and baseballisback:

n the ratings... If the information is "pushed" by an outside company, then AT&T can have them push the MPAA ratings also.  In fact, AT&T actually DOES get this information, and uses it with the parental control feature.  Therefore, I would deduce that AT&T is simply not including it on the guide.  here is an example straight from their website (http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/parentalcontrols)

"And if you aren’t sure what shows you should be preventing access to, try using Movie Ratings with MPAA ratings, and TV Ratings, to block programs with television parental guidelines. To block by Rating, choose the ratings you’d like to set, like Movie Ratings, and select CHANGE and press OK. You’ll see a list of ratings. Select the rating you want to block, and press OK. A lock icon will appear next to that rating, as well as all of the higher ratings. You can also lock out unrated programs or movies by using your down arrow or Channel/Page buttons to scroll down to the Unrated Content parental control settings. Press OK and the Lock Unrated Content Settings screen appears. Use the right arrow to select LOCK unrated programming and press OK until a lock symbol appears in the check box. Press SAVE to save your setting. To exit Parental Locking press MENUGUIDE or EXIT on your remote."

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support